This thread is privately moderated by dmrcflyr2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 05, 2015, 08:01 PM
Cat Man
Thread OP
Discussion

Astro Hog Post #5, wing panel glueing

Pretty boring post tonight. I have completed the other wing panel over the last few days this week. Actually I had most of it framed up on Sunday, but seeing as I have a job during the week, I don't get as much done in the evening. So my building board is only 48" long and the wing is 70". The kitchen floor is the next best place to glue this thing together, but I didn't use that either. Yes I did maintain the suggested dihedral which is .... alot.

I have done this many times before and I did it again. I sanded until the wing panels fit quite good together and then I practiced putting them together, MANY times. Why? Because I was/am/did join them with 5 minute epoxy and holding them together by hand. Like I said, I have done this many times in the past. The key is to practice, have the materials on hand in if something comes up, alcohol soaked rag, paper towels, a wife, and loads of new curse words. Luckily I didn't need any of those things. In 4 minutes it was set enough to relax my grip and lean against the closet door. You do what you gotta do when you don't have what I would call a 'proper' work space.

The end result is a nicely glued wing that is straight and true. Now after it has set you find out just how out of balance it is. I tried the best I could to evenly spread out the dense and soft balsa in this wing, but it was still pretty heavy on one end. So I grabbed some weights, coins, batteries, and go about seeing how bad it is. It fell to the left as looking at it from behind the wing. It turns out the required weight to balance it was 1 old AA battery and a few pieces of foam. I shoved these items inside the outer most wing rib opening, which would be between W-6 and the wing tip. I ensured they would not move around and viola! A balanced wing. You can never underestimate the importance of lateral balance on airplane.

The next steps will be to add the aileron torque rod wing pieces, cut out the servo opening, add the mounting support plates, and finally the wing dowels. Obviously the wing dowels can't be done until the fuselage is ready to accept the wing.

I tend to skip around and build parts in different orders other than what the instructions state. I will be framing up the fuselage this weekend most likely. Sorry very few pictures this time.
Last edited by dmrcflyr2; Feb 06, 2015 at 07:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2015, 07:40 AM
Man, not wasting any time over there! Looks fantastic!
Feb 06, 2015, 08:44 AM
Cat Man
Thread OP
When I get on a roll, I roll. I tend to slow down and get tired of it when the final little things need to be done. servo installation, covering, etc.

Quick Reply