May 16, 2017, 03:42 PM
Mike ,

As for the Blades I think size and so disc size is all about getting them right for the weight of the model . A bit like wing loading on a plane. Too large and it will fly but very floaty and in my limited experience not good on a breeze. Your model is really light so the larger disc might be too much . As you say we can cut down

Maybe do the call of loading per sq foot ... I think the guys suggest 3.5 to 4oz per sq foot

Steve
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2017, 03:39 AM
Hi Steve, thanks for the support. I've not calculated the disk loading before but looking at Wiki I've come across the following -

Disk loading is determined by dividing the total helicopter weight by the rotor disc area.

So.... Total weight is 49.73629 (ounces)
Disk area is 13.63534 Sq ft

Which gives a disk loading of 3.64 ounces per square foot.

Are my maths correct?

Cheers
Mike
May 17, 2017, 02:26 PM
Yep seems in the right area

Steve
May 19, 2017, 03:44 AM
Hi Mike.

As a comparison , my AC20 ( the red one in the thread photos ) weighs 1135 grams with a 3s 2450 lipo and I am using 560mm X 61mm blades ( Bolt hole to tip 540mm) . Mine flies well but is extremely floaty and is a light wind model. You may find that you need to reduce the blade length a bit. However best to get it test hopped first.

Graham
Today, 01:22 AM
Hi Graham,
OK that's good to know. I think I'll wait till the next Gyronut meeting to test hop though.

Cheers
Mike
Today, 03:22 PM
Mike pop down to Old Warden on the 9th June, we are doing an expo for the full size gyro boyos.