Auto Skunkworks - AC20 EPP build - Page 15 - RC Groups
Mar 27, 2017, 07:31 PM
I like the 10 mm carbon crutch....It gives a strong / light frame to hang all the "bits'' on.
And my model is still my "go to'' model at the field.
Happy Landings
Chris...
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2017, 04:35 AM
Hi Steve,
I'm making good progress with the fus, pics will follow, but I'm making preparations for the blades. I know you mentioned the blades as "Whippit width but a bit longer", can you give me the dimensions for a 3 blade version, specifically length, width and length to bolt hole.

Cheers
Mike
Apr 04, 2017, 03:59 PM
Hi Mike

Sure no problem. The green protoype has one size which days ok . The Pink second model has slightly longer blades to reduce loading and is a bit more floaty. Will measure and post info tomorrow evening

Steve
Apr 05, 2017, 04:01 PM
Blades 1: 57mm x 580mm x 550mm from tips to bolt hole. Made with 6mm sq spruce and remainder balsa. 0.8mm shim

Blades2: 60mm x 610mm x 590mm from tips to bolt hole. Made from 10mm x 6mm spruce and remainder balsa. 0.8mm shim

Steve
Apr 10, 2017, 03:51 AM
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the blade info and apologies for the delay in responding.

Mike
Apr 11, 2017, 01:23 PM
Hi Steve,
Progress has been slow as the warmer weather means jobs in the garden! Anyway....this is where the build is at.

Pics 1 and 2 are the engine cowl made from 3mm depron and formed using my wife's hair dryer (when she was out)
Pics 3, 4 and 5 show how the fus has been hung on the skeleton
Pics 6 show the depron covering around the skeleton. I've added a lite ply plate to the top of the fin to bolt the stabaliser section on (as per your comment re dredded blade strikes).
Pic 7 shows the side panel (on one side) and the engine cowl which are only taped on for the moment.

As with my Whippit, I'll be using a universal joint for the head and mixing the servos.

I've seen a pictures of Red, Yellow, Green and Pink AC 20's, so I think I'll be going with Blue as the main colour, however the side panels will be Orange one side and Yellow on the other the to help with orientation.

The blade blanks are done and might make a start on shaping them tomorrow.

Cheers
Mike
Apr 11, 2017, 02:24 PM
Looking Great Mike . Clearly going to be light one ... should do well

Steve
Apr 26, 2017, 11:52 AM
Hi Steve,
At last some progress. All painted now, just the engine cowl (which needs for fettling), winglets, blade shaping, and some other odds and sods to go. Currently weighs in at 804g, inc the wheels, motor, ESC and Rx.

Cheers
Mike
Apr 26, 2017, 01:24 PM
Looking great Mike , look forward to the flight hops ... Aiming for Tims on 20th May ??

Steve
Apr 26, 2017, 03:17 PM
Mike that looks a bit good! Please Come along to the May do if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Apr 26, 2017, 07:38 PM
That's a fine looking build there...my compliments......bit undecided on the colour scheme??
Good luck with your maiden.
Chris...
Apr 27, 2017, 03:02 AM
Thanks guys but the camera can't pick up the blemishes. Yes, I plan to be a Tim's bash where it can be maidened.
May 02, 2017, 01:29 PM
Looking forward to that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
May 16, 2017, 12:24 PM
Hi Steve, Well....it's finished (at last). The final AUW is 1410 grams with a 2400 4 cell lipo, and has a hang angle of 18 deg. I made the longer blades (610mm) but they may be a bit too long, I'll need your advice on that. Still... it's easier to cut them down rather than stick a bit on. I'll see you at Tim's bash on Saturday (weather permitting) to maiden it. I won't be able to get there till the afternoon though. Pics not the greatest quality but you'll get the drift.

P.S. The Mantis Mk "8" will also be ready (with tight nuts!)

PPS, I'm working on the Mk 2 Whippet as the Mk1 encountered an unusually strong magnetic gravity anomaly and was sucked out the sky hitting a particularly hard surface (a fence). Or....... Pilot error (again). Take your pick

Cheers
Mike
May 16, 2017, 01:31 PM
Hi Mike

Looking great and yes we can see how it goes . I fear for the weather tho - winds and rain about but I'm going anyway.

If you make it we can look things over and talk models .

Will bring my Mantis and we can flow something and get you on the sticks again

Steve