Millennium Falcon Multirotor

Built by RCGroups own member, Olivier_C

Millennium Falcon Multirotor

A contender for the Kessel Run?

The web is buzzing with photos of this geeked-out quad, built by our very own RCGroups member, Olivier_C. So far, the story and build info can be found on Reddit, Imgur, and Forbes to name a few. And while it's unfortunate that the Forbes editor labeled it the dreaded d-word for SEO reasons (these aren't the drones you're looking for), it's nice to see some positive press in a sea of bad news related to multirotors.

Olivier_C created the quad as an FPV racer and named it the Prophecy 335. Here's the link to his thread detailing the build: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2263855

Using expanded polystyrene in 20mm and 30mm thicknesses, Olivier_C cut out a paper template and shaped the basic frame with a hobby knife. He then began the arduous task of cutting out all the additional "scale" details and blending them into the fuselage. The whole ship locks into the frame where the GoPro mount is located. Blue and white LEDs were added to mimic the rear curved thruster as well as forward facing nav lights. He decided to run them on 6v instead of 12v due to the brightness.

A lot of the extra pieces are made of lightweight EPO foam. He listed it as being around 1150 grams (2.5lb) total weight.

Although not overly efficient in final form (5 minute flight times), it looks like a joy to see in flight. Olivier_C noted that it's sensitive to wind and forward flight has to be at a shallow angle due to the inertia, but it's still quite a novel idea and an accomplishment!

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Feb 04, 2015 at 04:14 PM..
Feb 04, 2015, 04:26 PM
It's GoTime all the Time
All it needs is a little aluminum screening over the rotor intakes to give it a more realistic appearance. Then you won't see the quad below it
Latest blog entry: 360 Frames & 360 Hobbies
Feb 04, 2015, 04:56 PM
I was thinking the same thing!
Feb 04, 2015, 08:44 PM
Flying Robot mad scientist
Screens over the blades will not be very efficient. I worked with an ETH team and we put door-screen material... needed 70% power just to get off the ground. I wouldn't recommend it.
Feb 04, 2015, 09:17 PM
Ah very good to know.
Feb 05, 2015, 11:52 AM
you ain't gang you can't hang
Does anyone have a link to the imgur post?
Feb 05, 2015, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin' Extra
Does anyone have a link to the imgur post?
http://imgur.com/gallery/CjYA6

and here's the Reddit with video:
http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments...lenium_falcon/
Feb 05, 2015, 01:30 PM
There's magic in those wings !
What about Tie fighters

Tie fighter Model #2.. 1st out door flight .. successful :) (6 min 11 sec)

X-BL Tie Fighter#2 .. 2nd indoor flight (6 min 22 sec)

X-BL Tie Fighter-video 3 (4 min 16 sec)

I hope you like them

Khaled
Feb 05, 2015, 01:39 PM
Awesome!
Feb 05, 2015, 08:04 PM
Millennium Falcon, I'm in love. Great job great job. If this was sold in stores, I would get one. seeing that made my day
Feb 06, 2015, 03:03 AM
some insect screen mesh with big holes on rotors top and bottom for even more realistic look
Feb 06, 2015, 06:55 PM
I suggest fixed vertical louvres/louvers [angled slats]
Feb 07, 2015, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
I suggest fixed vertical louvres/louvers [angled slats]
worth giving a shot .. it would even look better

Khaled
Feb 17, 2015, 10:55 PM
Happy Holidays
Nice work