Feb 04, 2015, 07:21 AM
killickb
Thread OP
Discussion

Seagull Gypsy Moth

Great news that SIG is marketing more of the Seagull line and their Gypsy Moth is a future must have so --- is there anybody out there that has built/flown ? Mine will be electric of course.

Unlike some of their models this one is claimed to be for either type of power so should I assume they have designed as light as possible with electric in mind ? Not sure on Seagull's design practices in this regard ?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2015, 10:09 AM
"Unlike some of their models this one is claimed to be for either type of power so should I assume they have designed as light as possible with electric in mind "

I would assume exactly the opposite, if it was designed for both, it needs to withstand the punishment of IC.

Les
Feb 05, 2015, 05:35 AM
I have one of these, and it is fiddly to setup at the field, but worth it.
I set up guy wires with turnbuckles, and am happy I did.
Went together straightforward, and without drama.
But a lot of plane to take to the field.
Mine is powered by an eflite 90 on 8s, and pulls 2200 watts at wot.
More than enough.
Feb 06, 2015, 09:29 AM
killickb
Thread OP
peterreebok, good info. How are it's flying manners ? Does it need to be flown very coordinated like the Tiger Moth does ? Can it be flown at low, scale like speeds ? Have you flown on less than 8S, as you say that that provides ample power? 200watts/lb should be enough !!!

With a bit of luck could get this in the van assembled but it would be the only model I could take that day !

Have a great day,
Feb 07, 2015, 04:21 AM
I am not the most experienced pilot, but I felt it needed some rudder to fly coordinated.
Others may differ.
Only a few flights, so not an expert on this plane. Trying to fly in a scale manner without dropping the speed too low.
Mar 20, 2015, 06:01 PM
killickb
Thread OP
Nobody in the USA have one of these, in the box, finished or flying ?
Apr 20, 2015, 10:15 AM
Parkstormer!
Very, very tempting--one of my favorite aircraft, historically. Subbed!
Apr 21, 2015, 05:46 AM
A quick pic to inspire you.
Apr 22, 2015, 12:26 PM
Parkstormer!
Inspire? More like torture! I keep checking this one out, but I'm not sure that it's a practical choice for me these days. I'd likely have to break it down to transport it (I have a small SUV, but it wouldn't hold the Moth in one piece). Also, I'm currently flying only off pavement, and off an unused street (with curbs) at that. I'd feel much more comfortable with this one on a short-grass field or wide runway, but I don't see that happening anytime soon . . .
Apr 24, 2015, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee
Inspire? More like torture! I keep checking this one out, but I'm not sure that it's a practical choice for me these days. I'd likely have to break it down to transport it (I have a small SUV, but it wouldn't hold the Moth in one piece). Also, I'm currently flying only off pavement, and off an unused street (with curbs) at that. I'd feel much more comfortable with this one on a short-grass field or wide runway, but I don't see that happening anytime soon . . .
I have one with an OS 62V in it and it flies very scale with a lot of aileron to rudder mix, the wings come apart, the landing gear is very stiff and the wheel were replaces with 4" du-bro Cub wheels. I'm thinking of adding some down thrust as ATM its throttle sensitive( just a little)
May 06, 2015, 08:48 AM
killickb
Thread OP
Ordered from my LHS so in a few days will let you know what is in the box! Certainly does need some "scalarity" done to the undercart design.

Propwas1, did the Dubro wheels help in this regard and did you find anywhere that you could lighten up the model, even though it is an arf ?
May 21, 2015, 02:31 AM
the wheels help a little, to lighten it up would be hard without some major re-work
May 22, 2015, 05:35 PM
killickb
Thread OP
Thanks for that. Presume the wheels were the 41/4 " dia as cannot see 4" Cub wheels by Dubro ?

Yes, is not easy to lighten an already covered framework without major work and a recovering job. My Gypsy is in at the LHS but I am in Colorado for a few weeks so cannot open the box for awhile !!!!
May 26, 2015, 06:41 AM
yep need to be 4 1/4" Colorado wow that sounds nice
May 26, 2015, 07:08 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
Does anyone fly without mixing anymore ?

Quick Reply