Feb 04, 2015, 07:42 AM
Thread OP

Adding the Remaining Formers

Once the rear former is completed, it's glued into the fuselage and the remaining top and bottom formers and the wing hold-down bolt plate are added. Then moving forward, the nose section formers are added. The frame takes a pretty extreme bend at the front, so the longerons will need to be scored and cracked to make the curve before adding the formers.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2015, 07:44 AM
Thread OP

Adding the Stringers

With all of the formers in place and the wing fitted into the saddle the top and bottom stringers and the upper cockpit assembly are added.
Feb 04, 2015, 07:51 AM
Thread OP

Adding the Remaining Stringers and Other Details

The cabin outfill and window frames are added followed by the side stringers. Once all that's in place, the enteire frame is given a good detail sanding, including sanding a concave curve into the formers between the stringers to eliminate the bumbs in the cover. And with that done, the cockpit window fairings were made from file folder and fitted onto the frame, but won't be glued in place untill after the frame is covered.
Feb 04, 2015, 07:59 AM
Thread OP

Working on the Fine Details

The servos are added in the wing and fuselage, and the motor mounts were built up and glued in place. The wing was mounted on the fuselage and the center section stringers were added. The tail wheel assembly was built up from wire and brass and mounted, followed by the tail fairning block and finally, the balsa fill was added around the landing gear protrusions in the nacelles..
Feb 04, 2015, 08:02 AM
Thread OP

Making Ready for Cover

With all of the major framing and detail work done, the molds were made up for the tail cone and nacelle fairings. The cowls will also be vac-formed plastic and will include the Dummy Jacobs Radials. So from here, about all that's left before covering will be to get the motors mounted and the wiring run in, so stay tuned, the end is in sight. . . . .

PAT
Feb 04, 2015, 11:58 AM
Jeez Pat, you make the rest of us look incompetent! LOL Great subject!
Feb 04, 2015, 12:24 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Glad to see you have started working on the Songbird. Lets see, a test flight maybe this weekend?

Looks very nice, I am sure Dare/Brodak will turn out a fine kit. Just make sure to tell them to make a larger first run than they did for the C-130!!!!! Lots of us are going to want one.

Any thoughts on motors for this one?

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Feb 04, 2015, 06:17 PM
A nice subject and looks very well kitted. One could be seduced into believing that mere mortals could manage this traditional aeromodelling stuff.

Reading the thread got me Googling Sky King which I don't think we got over here and, of course, there's tons of stuff up there. Reminds me so much of the shows parodied affectionately in Woody Allen's Radio Days.

Looking forward to seeing the completed model.

Alec
Feb 04, 2015, 06:25 PM
Pat:

Another fine model from you! It brings back so many memories watching Sky King as a kid on those Saturday mornings. As one of the previous post's said, I hope Dare/Brodak runs enough kits on that first run as I'll want one! Here is a twin that is scale with all fabric covering, its such a nice size to.

Dan
Feb 05, 2015, 12:28 AM

Songird

Way to go Pat.
I have been waiting on this one for over 3 years. I was afraid I was gonna be too damn old to build it before it was finished. I have started checking out the color schemes for Callie as I don't think I will do the Song bird. Although it is a great scheme.
I too hope Brodak does a larger initial run as I had to wait on the C-130 second run also.
Cheers and best regards.
Glenn
Feb 06, 2015, 06:33 PM

Song Bird aka "Bamboo Bomber"

Pat:
Great choice for aero-modeling! Can you give us some specs, WS, proposed weight & power? Any chance to fit some retracts with some that exposed tread hangin' out in the wind, like the full scale!

I loved the Sky King program on Saturday mornings! after "Andy's Gang" with "Froggy the Gremlin". Later in the Sky King series someone deceided to replace the "Bamboo Bomber" with the more modern 310 (Cessna), By the way is okay to use the word Cessna???

Just one more thing - like "Columbo" used to say:
Don't forget to install my first love "Penny" at the controls. She was my ideal girlfriend, she loved flying and adventure, and was a "looker"!

Put me down for a kit!

Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
NJ. uSA
Feb 06, 2015, 11:15 PM
Neophyte hacker
[email protected] is one of those companies going after kit companies and really what started all the problems in recent years. Last I knew parent company was Textron.

Opposite that was when Raytheon owned Beech and some others. They would supply three views and some extra info if you wanted to model their stuff. Like WACO and some others.
Feb 07, 2015, 02:48 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
Almost 30 years ago I got to meet Skyking at Hanscom Field in MA. in the bathroom of all places. Even though we just washed our hands, we didn't shake hands.
Feb 07, 2015, 08:22 PM
Wow, another awesome subject. Nice!
Feb 07, 2015, 08:46 PM
About time the Songbird was being done. Awesome model Pat!

R

Quick Reply