Apr 02, 2017, 06:35 PM
where to did you locate the battery? how do you have access to it?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2017, 07:20 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Refer to post No 217. The photo shows my battery location, (albeit with the nose 'opened'). Nose cone held in place with 2 mm bullet connectors. This works well.

Shane.
Apr 08, 2017, 06:43 PM

T-50 Songbird

I loved the results of your build. I bought the kit from Brodak and I am ready to start the build.; if it comes out half as good as yours I'll be happy. I do have a couple of questions on your receiver and battery installation. Your pictures don't show 1. location of battery and how you access battery 2. It's not clear from your pictures where you mounted the receiver. I see the two servos for rudder and elevator. Are you having to remove the wing to access the receiver and servos? Please advise via email at [email protected]. Thank you I would appreciate any information you can give me.

Thank you,

Jesse
May 26, 2017, 03:55 AM

Battery location and replacement for the Songbird

Very nice and interesting building thread for the Sky King's Songbird
I am planning to build this airplane from the Brodak kit.
However, I did not find any reference to the battery location in the model.
May the battery be replaced without removing the wing?
Any reference to the battery location and replacement with a photo will be mostly welcome.
Thank you
Gadi
May 26, 2017, 04:16 AM
Now I see that I have missed Shane reference to battery location and replacement. Your idea to use bullet connectors for holding the nose is very good!
By the way what size of battery are you using? What is the weight of the model ready to fly?
How do find its flight behavior?
Thanks
Gadi
Jul 30, 2017, 01:04 PM
There are some who call me....
To any of you gents who have completed Pat's Songbird, I am working on a Cessna Bobcat from RCM plans and am in a bit of a conundrum regarding CG placement. Would anyone mind giving the measurements of LE to their CG and then full wing cord so I can get a rough ratio as another input? Many thanks.
Tim
Jul 30, 2017, 02:39 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Tim

I pulled the plans from my Pat T Songbird kit. I have not built it yet so I can not speak to how well the CG works out. The wing chord at the center section/fuselage junction is 10 1/4". The CG as marked on the plans is on the spar of the wing which is 2 5/8" back of the LE. This calculates to about 25% of the chord.

As always if in doubt make sure to be a tad nose heavy versus tail heavy. I am sure you are aware of the old adage about a nose heavy plane flying poorly but a tail heavy plane flying once!!! Would hate to see all your hard work be dashed on the first flight.

Hope this is of some help.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jul 30, 2017, 03:01 PM
Many thanks, Brian. This a another good data point supporting the argument to get the CG forward. I appreciate your time on this.

Tim
Jul 30, 2017, 11:00 PM
1/3rd of the wing chord usually results in a flyable aircraft. Not necessarily ideal , but a good starting point.
Jul 30, 2017, 11:41 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Tim,

I am Flying my Tritle Songbird at the 25% mark as designed and can attest that it has very nice manners. The Tritle model actually needs tail weight to achieve 25% C.G. Not necessarily the case of course with the RCM design, with much more structure behind the C.G. point.

Perhaps irrelevant now but I realise that I missed the question asked of me a few months back re my battery capacity. I am running 2s 2600 mAh. more than needed but they were available at the time.

Cheers,
Shane.
Jul 31, 2017, 07:17 AM
Thanks, Shane and Glenhawk. I have decided to push for balancing at the 25% of MAC with wheels down. The CG shifts back about 5/8" when the wheels come up, so I'll see how it handles there. As you say, Shane, it's going to take me about 6 oz of lead in the nose to get there.

Quick Reply