Feb 23, 2015, 01:22 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Zooms with the Scorpion are averaging between 10-14m
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2015, 03:41 PM
Good for what ALES you
With this spring-like weather, my thumbs are getting a bit twitchy for our first event.
Feb 25, 2015, 11:10 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilmunder
With this spring-like weather, my thumbs are getting a bit twitchy for our first event.
Me too ARIC!!!
Feb 27, 2015, 10:08 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP

F5J contest schedule posted

I just edited the first post of this thread with the F5J contest schedule for 2015. It is also posted in the Calendar on the new SVSS website.

Since I know a number of pilots who are working on F5J planes right now this should give you guys enough notice since our first contest isn't until late April. So get crackin' on those planes (yeah, me too ).

If any date changes I'll post in this thread and let everyone know.

Chris B.
Mar 19, 2015, 10:11 AM
Thread OP

Friday Apr 24 F5J event added to calendar

I'm excited to announce that the first F5J contest of the season will be held on Fri Apr 24. This event precedes our big 2-day ALES contest on Sat and Sun.

Here's a quick rundown of the event:

12noon - F5J tutorial. Will take 30-60 minutes and cover both F5J rules as well as the differences between ALES and F5J. If this is your first F5J contest we highly recommend you attend this tutorial!

1pm - First flight. We expect this contest to run from 1-3pm so there will still be plenty of daylight afterwards for general practice flying.

CAMs and F5J limiters both allowed. For ALES CAMs you will be able to set the cutoff altitude to any height before each round. Your scorecard will then record that cutoff height + 10 meters as your F5J Starting Height.

Rules - We will follow the 2015 FAI rules for F5J with the following exceptions:
1. We will not have any throw-out rounds.
2. Depending on the number of participating pilots we may elect to not have reflight rounds.
3. Emergency Motor Restarts allowed but will result in zero flight points.
4. Our goal is to finish the event with 2 fly-off rounds that are flown with the top 30% of pilots carried over from the qualifying rounds.

Awards - Printed award certificates 1st through 4th place.

Contest fee: $10 per pilot

Hope to see you there!
Last edited by SoaringDude; Mar 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: I like editing things
Apr 02, 2015, 11:16 AM
Thread OP
I just posted a public announcement in the Sailplane Events section: F5J Contest Series in NorCal (svss) - 2015. One of the cool things announced in that post is that Soaring USA has agreed to be an F5J Partner and Supporter of our 2015 NorCal Contest Series.

Less than a month to our first official F5J event on Fri Apr 24!

Chris
Apr 14, 2015, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
Less than 2 weeks to go to our first (and California's first) F5J contest on Fri April 24. I just posted details here in the RC Groups Sailplane Events thread.
Apr 14, 2015, 11:25 AM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Have fun guys...I will be out of town:-(
Apr 19, 2015, 12:47 PM
Good for what ALES you
I started working with the Altis last week and some of the behaviors are still a bit of a mystery to me. Here are some observations...

For the Flight Manager I am using VMWare on my Mac running Windows 7 and the USB connection is working quite well. I haven't tried the mini control yet.

I set the Altis for ALES200 (200m / 30 sec) and enabled the emergency motor on. I set the screen to display 6 rows of data. I also put it in a Radian as my test-bed just in case.

The display appeared very bright indoors in shade looked great. After the first flight it appeared black and I thought that the display had died. Do others find the display that hard to read in sunlight?

Importing the data was easy and I was pleased that the display was still working. I changed the display to 'Number' to only display the altitude and went out for a few more flights hoping that the single value display would be easier to read. On these flights, the display only ever displayed '----'. My impression is that the single number display ONLY works when you are set to F5J mode.

This morning I changed the Competition mode to F5J and the single Number display appears to work. I then enabled 'Emergency Motor On' and uploaded the program. While you can select the Emergency Motor On, the F5J setting appears to override this and the motor will not restart

Clearly there is more to this device than using a simple CAM. I haven't even gotten to the anti-zoom settings.

Question: What settings are others using? My preference is to fly with the emergency restart unless disallowed. I'm also considering using the ALES200 settings to avoid accidentally overflying the 200 meter penalty height. I will give the 3 row display a try and see how that works outdoors.
Apr 19, 2015, 03:03 PM
Good for what ALES you
Finding a few answers....

The Altis was very sensitive to my low throttle position. I believe it may have thought I was not zeroed and acted like my motor was on even though my motor was not turning. Trimming down the throttle appears to resolve this.

Yep, the display is pretty dark when outdoors. Cupping it in my hand helps.

Switching to the 3 row display make the entries larger, but it alternated every second. 5 seconds worked better.

The F5J value stays as '---.-' until 10 seconds after the motor stops, so you have to wait a bit before it gets updated.

The Emergency Motor On does appear to work even with the F5J checkbox set.

More as I do additional tests.
Apr 19, 2015, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilmunder
Finding a few answers....

The Altis was very sensitive to my low throttle position. I believe it may have thought I was not zeroed and acted like my motor was on even though my motor was not turning. Trimming down the throttle appears to resolve this.

Yep, the display is pretty dark when outdoors. Cupping it in my hand helps.

Switching to the 3 row display make the entries larger, but it alternated every second. 5 seconds worked better.

The F5J value stays as '---.-' until 10 seconds after the motor stops, so you have to wait a bit before it gets updated.

The Emergency Motor On does appear to work even with the F5J checkbox set.

More as I do additional tests.
Aric,

While the the display is not laser bright, I and my timers, had no problem reading it in the bright daylight at the pre F5J mini contest.

The only display I set up is the F5J altitude display which fills the screen with the altitude, making it relatively easy to read. I don't care about any of the other parameters so I turn them off. Kis - Keep it simple ! I will refrain from adding the second letter. You certainly do not deserve it! Oh yes, don't forget that the F5J altitude is the highest point in the time window starting with motor on and ending 10 seconds after motor off. the the F5J altitude can not be known before 10 seconds after motor off.

I am using a switch (on-off) for motor control and a slider for motor speed so have not encountered the throttle stick(?) problem to which you refer.

On the other hand, Lou is having real problems with the Altis. But his Altis seems to work fine on my setup. we have to look elsewhere.

Jonathan

P.S. Aerobtec has just released (Apr 20) two updates for the Altis V4. The Altis firmware V1.8 to V2.0 is now available. Also, V4 of the Flight manager is also available. Lou Fox reports that these updates solved some problems he was having.
Last edited by jpherit; Apr 20, 2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Update
Apr 23, 2015, 09:39 AM
Thread OP

2015 FAI F5J rules posted

The attached PDF is the FAI F5J ruleset for 2015. There is really only one minor change from 2014 that makes it clear the goal of F5J is to maintain a minimum of 6 pilots per flight group. So our F5J tutorial outlines (available in our F5J Tutorials Archives folder) are current.

Chris
Apr 24, 2015, 09:12 PM
Thread OP

Apr 24 results posted...

...in the Sailplane Events thread here. We will post club-specific things here but everything else is best in the Events thread where other clubs that are also starting F5J can benefit.
May 18, 2015, 08:48 AM
Thread OP

May 17 results posted

...in the Sailplane Events thread here. We will post club-specific things here but everything else is best in the Events thread where other clubs that are also starting F5J can benefit.

We had 9 pilots this time and some very interesting battles in the qualifying and flyoff rounds. F5J really is different in a challenging and fun way. A few pictures from the event are below.

Quick Reply