2015 F5J Contests - RC Groups
Feb 03, 2015, 01:13 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Discussion

2015 F5J Contests

Welcome to F5J at SVSS for 2015

This thread is for posting F5J contest announcements and scoring results. It is also the place for your contest comments and feedback.

The F5J Contest Team
Chris B., Aric W., and Jerry M.
-----------------------------------------------
SVSS F5J Schedule for 2015

Based on responses from a sampling of club members and F5J enthusiasts who want to fly with us we decided to have 5 contests this first year. Fewer contests should mean more pilots per event and more competition and fun. The following dates may change but they should be close.

Fri Apr 24: F5J Tutorial 12noon, First flight 1pm. 2-day ALES follows on Apr 25/26

Sun May 17 F5J Tutorial 9am, Pilots meeting 9:45, First flight 10am

Sat July 18 F5J Tutorial 9am, Pilots meeting 9:45, First flight 10am

Sun Aug 16 (makeup date only)

Sun Sept 20 F5J Tutorial 9am, Pilots meeting 9:45, First flight 10am

Sun Nov 22 F5J Tutorial 9am, Pilots meeting 9:45, First flight 10am
Last edited by SoaringDude; Apr 01, 2015 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Sched update: Aug is makeup date only since April is confirmed
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2015, 01:16 PM
Team Hello Kitty

F5J Trial Contest, Sunday Feb 15

We will be having our first ever F5J contest on Feb 15. You have a chance to sign up and help us validate the GliderScore program and automated contest announcements.

RSVP please! In the interest of keeping this trial at a manageable size I would appreciate an email or PM if you want to fly. Note that electrics with ALES CAMs are also very welcome to fly F5J.

Before the contest starts we have two things planned:
(1) We will help you configure your Altis limiter. Jonathan Heritage has generously offered to bring his laptop so we will have two laptops set up with the Altis configuration program, and

(2) an F5J Rules and Strategy Tutorial at 9am.
Hope to see you there.
Feb 07, 2015, 11:30 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
I plan to be there. Already using the Altis limiter.

Great idea.

Don McCullough
Feb 08, 2015, 11:29 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Virtual test contest printouts posted

Thanks Don, will be great to see you Sunday.

For anyone interested in getting a sneak peek at the GliderScore printouts we will post after each round you can check out the "Virtual test contest" folder in the SVSS Archives (Contests\F5J\2015\Virtual test contest). This particular contest has 4 qualifying rounds and 2 flyoff rounds. Jerry Molnar helped by filling out the score sheets so don't blame me if you flew poorly--it's all Jerry's fault .
Feb 09, 2015, 06:43 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
HEY, !! I flew poorly too!! Although, Chris flew 2rounds OVER his 10 min, for zero landing points. Better practice that timing Chris ;-)
Feb 12, 2015, 09:31 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
Turn out I can't make it. Other family plans got in the way. I did manage to trim out my new tool today for 2015.
Feb 12, 2015, 11:09 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
That the NEW explorer F5J???
Feb 13, 2015, 03:05 AM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
Yep. Came in at 1618 g (57 oz. ) ready to fly. I got five flights in today, finally got it pretty well trimmed out by the last one. A real floater but can penetrate well. Will take some getting used to as it is just shy of 20 ounces lighter than my E-Xplorer..
Feb 13, 2015, 12:43 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
And to think of me flying the big ole 100oz SHARON against THAT

Ps edit: maybe in about a year I'll be able to afford one of the spiffy F5J planes.
Right now my short list is : F5J explorer, kappa 35, Electra 2 ST, E Supra Expert

But for now I'll just havta make do with the SHARON and the Scorpion
Last edited by Airman74; Feb 13, 2015 at 12:56 PM.
Feb 13, 2015, 01:55 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
Still fly my Sharon. Great airplane.
Feb 13, 2015, 02:14 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McCullough
Still fly my Sharon. Great airplane.
It's AMAZING just how well it flys at that weight.

Ps edit : ooooops off topic!
Ok everybody, come on out Sunday and have fun test driving F5J
Feb 14, 2015, 11:29 AM
Team Hello Kitty

Contest audio broadcast on FM radio

SVSS F5J contest audio will be provided on speakers as well as on FM radio. Broadcasting on FM makes it possible for anyone on the flight line with a portable radio to clearly hear those all-important Working Time countdowns. Remember, in F5J you lose all your landing points if you overfly the Working Time end signal.

This FM innovation has been used recently in SoCal with great success--thanks to Tuan Le and Rick Johnston for sharing their experience on this. FM is a great alternative to hard-wiring multiple speakers on long flight lines. And even for shorter flight lines some pilots will still benefit.

Chris
Last edited by SoaringDude; Feb 14, 2015 at 12:03 PM.
Feb 14, 2015, 01:34 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Chris,

I can make it tomorrow. My plane is not ready to fly yet but it sounds well worth the trip from Santa Rosa anyway.

Looking forward to this........

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
We will be having our first ever F5J contest on Feb 15. You have a chance to sign up and help us validate the GliderScore program and automated contest announcements.

RSVP please! In the interest of keeping this trial at a manageable size I would appreciate an email or PM if you want to fly. Note that electrics with ALES CAMs are also very welcome to fly F5J.

Before the contest starts we have two things planned:
(1) We will help you configure your Altis limiter. Jonathan Heritage has generously offered to bring his laptop so we will have two laptops set up with the Altis configuration program, and

(2) an F5J Rules and Strategy Tutorial at 9am.
Hope to see you there.
Feb 15, 2015, 05:15 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Trial contest scores posted

The first ever SVSS F5J (trial) contest is in the books. We had a good group show up to help us test out and verify our contest gear. Turns out the laptop, printer, GliderScore program, FM transmitter, and contest audio automation all worked like a champ.

Scores are posted below*. Congrats to Jonathan Heritage for winning by walking away with all 5 rounds. Mac Powell, Aric Wilmunder, and Jerry Molnar also flew well with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places.
* Note that the names of pilots who actually flew are highlighted. The rest were inserted with random scores to fully test the scoring program.
This post is being made at the field so that capability is also working great. Looking forward to our first official F5J event soon. Thanks again for all who came!

Chris B.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Feb 16, 2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Updated PDFs with notes, added ranked flights PDF
Feb 15, 2015, 09:37 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Nice to have these results posted here right away. Thanks Chris