This thread is privately moderated by rickp, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 10, 2015, 08:07 AM
Hey Rick,
Well, I downloaded the file & got into my download folder. Then I clicked on it, dragged it to the Phoenix file/resources/airplanes & dropped it. Then I opened Phoenix & couldn't find it anywhere. It showed it was in the airplane folder, although did not show up anywhere in all the airplane categories when I clicked on "Change" aircraft. I'm at a loss. I'm not to computer saavy with moving files/folders. Do I have to "Open" the file first in the Download folder & then drag>drop into the Phoenix folder? I give up. I'll survive without it. Thanks...

Denny
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2015, 04:04 PM
Hey Rick,
Ok...I finally got my old grey matter to sort my ineptness with files/folders. I re-downloaded the file, then Opened it in my Download folder, & dragged it to the Phoenix/resources/airplanes folder. When I started Phoenix, it was in the Scale folder......

I got into the Edit mode after getting the plane on the field. I increased the scale to 155% which got it to 60" W/S at 5lb......close enough. It flew well with a bit of aileron & rudder trim added for straight/level flight at 60% throttle. It LOOKS GOOD in the air. Now I want the blue RED BULL one.....if it's not a problem. I'd like to scale that one up to Giant Scale.

THANKS so much for your super efforts & being patient with an "'ol fart".

Denny
Last edited by yorkiepap; Apr 10, 2015 at 08:13 PM.
Apr 11, 2015, 06:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepap
Hey Rick,
Ok...I finally got my old grey matter to sort my ineptness with files/folders. I re-downloaded the file, then Opened it in my Download folder, & dragged it to the Phoenix/resources/airplanes folder. When I started Phoenix, it was in the Scale folder......

I got into the Edit mode after getting the plane on the field. I increased the scale to 155% which got it to 60" W/S at 5lb......close enough. It flew well with a bit of aileron & rudder trim added for straight/level flight at 60% throttle. It LOOKS GOOD in the air. Now I want the blue RED BULL one.....if it's not a problem. I'd like to scale that one up to Giant Scale.

THANKS so much for your super efforts & being patient with an "'ol fart".

Denny
EXCELLENT!
It bothered me that you were having difficulties, so glad to hear that you worked it out.

Want to make a few more changes to the Flying Bull before I send it out, but should be within the next week.

I'm only a few years behind you, so very much understand this "ol fart" business.

Cheers, rick p
Apr 19, 2015, 09:47 PM
Thread OP

Dornier DO27

Denny,

Not finding time to work on a DO-27 model for you, but the next best thing is a high-wing plane painted in a DO-27 scheme, right?

With that thought in mind, I painted a Toledo Special like your DO-27.
Fly it on low rates and squint and I bet you can't tell the difference.

To install, unzip the attached file to My Documents\PhoenixRC\Downloaded\Schemes\User-made.
It will then appear as an alternate scheme for the Hanger 9 Toledo Special.

Enjoy, rick p
Apr 24, 2015, 07:04 AM
Thread OP

F7F Submitted to Phoenix

F7F was as good as it was gonna get, so I submitted it to Phoenix by clicking File.Publish in PhoenixBuilder and emailing the .pkg file to Phoenix Customer Support.
They forwarded it to their models group and I'm waiting for feedback.

Cheers, rick p
Apr 26, 2015, 05:01 PM
Thread OP

Beech Staggerwing

Just starting the development of a Beech Model 17 Staggerwing using Blender as the 3D drawing tool.
Seems a good time to note how important it is choosing a good set of plans and spending adequate time setting up the Blender reference drawings.
If you get this wrong you'll suffer during the entire process.
The plans I ultimate chose came from outerzone.co.uk - they have a lot of great material.
Pic of plans and finished target are attached.

Cheers, rick p

ps: added Blender shot of fuselage
pps: added wings, stab, fin and control surfaces
Last edited by rickp; May 02, 2015 at 10:56 AM.
May 13, 2015, 07:41 PM
Thread OP

Staggerwing Complete

Pretty much done until I find something to mod.
Finished model can be found at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post31615307

Cheer, rick p
May 19, 2015, 08:41 AM
Thread OP

Tweaked Staggerwings

In the end created three versions of the Beech Staggerwing
D-17S similar to the one hanging in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum
YC-43 traveler as used by the London US Air Attache' in the 30's.
SD-17S float plane version painted in Texaco colors.

Pictures, a video and downloadable files are here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post31662424

Enjoy, rick p
May 19, 2015, 07:25 PM
Thread OP

Lessons Learned

So what lessons did I learn building the Staggerwings?

Repetition, of course, makes things easier.
With practice, I'm getting better at creating complex shapes in Blender.
That said, there were a couple of "ah-ha" moments during the process.

Texturing
For complex paint features, it helps to import "reference images" so that you can essentially trace them rather than drawing them free-hand.
For really complex things like logos, you can usually find an image to import and use directly as is.

Float Planes
Nothing worse than adding floats to your model and watching it sink.
Enlarging the floats and lightening the model doesn't help either!
Couldn't figure this one out by myself, so turned to Phoenix support for help.
The trick is to create a collision plane embedded in your floats and then set the following collision parameters in Builder.
- collision.type = mesh
- collision.material = buoyant
That gets it floating - you then adjust the waterline by moving the collision mesh in Builder.
Glad this got resolved as I'm building a PBY Catalina next.

Enjoy, rick p
May 20, 2015, 09:19 AM
Thread OP

Catalina Progress

Basic fuselage and wings taking shape.
Plans show a symmetrical wingtip foil, so assuming the entire airfoil is symmetrical.
Some of this is going to be challenging - freehanding the nose section for instance.

rick p
May 21, 2015, 09:04 AM
Thread OP

Catalina Partially Textured

Most of the structure in place and textured.
Trying a different texturing process this time.
Was lucky enough to find a multiview Catalina drawing so am using that as the basis for texturing.
Basically you copy the portion you want (e.g. left fuselage) and past it over the appropriate model UVs.
This seems to be the way other folks get such detailed textures with panel lines and whatnot.

First picture is multiview Catalina reference drawing.
Second is a Blender shot showing portions of the ref drawing used as texture.

Will finish detailing later, but right now I'm gonna export it into PhoenixBuilder and see how it flies!

Enjoy, rick p

EDIT: Well, it would have flown nicely had my PhoenixRC cable not chosen to die right then.
Had been intermittent and I was hoping it would hang on a bit more, but not to be.
Mailed to Horizen for repair / replacement after verifying it was bad at local hobby shop.
Last edited by rickp; May 22, 2015 at 10:37 AM.
May 22, 2015, 04:03 PM
Thread OP

Coming along nicely

Looking pretty good to me, though hard to know when you have enough detail.
Still need to add collison meshes, then export to Phoenix Builder to make it flyable.

rick p
May 26, 2015, 08:50 AM
Thread OP

Catalina 3D Models Complete

3D models looking pretty good until I fly one and spot errors.
Can't do that, of course, until I get a good cable from Horizon.
Ended up with three versions - Navy stationed at Pearl Harbor during the 1930's, Navy during WWII and Coast Guard.

rick p
May 26, 2015, 08:54 AM
Thread OP

How about a P-38?

Seems to be missing from the PhoenixRC collection, so will work on that while I'd not flying the simulator.
Found nice plans and color scheme.
Partial 3D model shown as well.

Enjoy, rick p
May 27, 2015, 08:21 AM
Thread OP

Taking shape

Fins were a PITA - gotta take airfoils slow and careful.

rick p
May 28, 2015, 08:34 AM
Thread OP

Mostly Textured

Still need to add control surfaces and gear.
Will also add a Pacific theater version as well.

rick p
May 28, 2015, 04:48 PM
I'm fascinated by this. Keep up the great work! If you want a beta tester for any of your planes, let me know
May 29, 2015, 07:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altbob
I'm fascinated by this. Keep up the great work! If you want a beta tester for any of your planes, let me know
Absolutely.

Will ask you soon to test fly a Catalina and a P-38 as I'm still waiting for my cable to be returned by Horizon.

Here's a rough version of Chitty.

Cheers, rick p
Last edited by rickp; May 29, 2015 at 08:09 AM. Reason: add textured picture
May 29, 2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks so much for doing this! If anyone is interested in seeing the build log for the actual Chitty model, it's here on RCG:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...249228&page=10

Happy to test the Catalina and the P-38. I have the Dynam Cat and am very familiar with how it flies. As for the lightning, my son has the Flyzone micro (and sometimes he let's me fly it!)

-Bob
Last edited by Altbob; May 29, 2015 at 12:58 PM.
May 29, 2015, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altbob
Thanks so much for doing this! If anyone is interested in seeing the build log for the actual Chitty model, it's here on RCG:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...249228&page=10

Happy to test the Catalina and the P-38. I have the Dynam Cat and am very familiar with how it flies. As for the lightning, my son has the Flyzone micro (and sometimes he let's me fly it!)

-Bob
Excellent that you have perspective on both the Cat and the Lightening.
Right now they're both just 3D models, but I'll up the priority on making them flyable with Builder.

Thx, rickp

Quick Reply