This thread is privately moderated by rickp, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 02, 2015, 07:03 PM
Nu2RC
Re: "you might consider doing some sort of proof-of-concept so that you'll know early whether it will fly or not."

That approach makes all sorts of sense. However, the closest I'll come may be to test fly it in Phoenix. We'll see though. Maybe I'll end up going that route.

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2015, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSquared18
Re: "you might consider doing some sort of proof-of-concept so that you'll know early whether it will fly or not."

That approach makes all sorts of sense. However, the closest I'll come may be to test fly it in Phoenix. We'll see though. Maybe I'll end up going that route.

Bill
If you are willing to spend a bit of money, you can always go with xplane. Make the model to the same size as the RC version. then add weight for your control setup.
Apr 02, 2015, 09:53 PM
Nu2RC
Re: "If you are willing to spend a bit of money, you can always go with xplane. Make the model to the same size as the RC version. then add weight for your control setup."

Been active in the X-Plane community for over three years. Have XP10 (and 9 and 8). I considered going that route. In fact, the mesh I made for the Phoenix model that I plan to build came from SketchUp, imported from X-Plane.org.

I considered using X-Plane to do the test flights. Even added a question (post #8; same handle as here) to a thread at X-Plane.org on the subject:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?...08#entry902565

I might do it yet, using Jacque's B-66. Two heads--or in this case, two flight sim programs--being better than one.

But I wanted to try Phoenix first because it's intended for RC planes. And I can use my RC TX to control it rather than the joystick I use for X-Plane.

Thanks for the thought, though. I may try it yet.

P.S. It must be great, living in Oshkosh. Being in Minneapolis, I've made the drive to the airshow once. What a thrill!

Bill
Apr 04, 2015, 09:17 AM
Thread OP

Pilatus PC-6

Putting together a PC-6 model with yorkiepap's help.

Denny,

Here are the best plans I could find for the model, so unless you find something better this is the direction that I'm headed.
Also, you need to be thinking of a color scheme that you like.

Thanks, rick p
Apr 04, 2015, 05:12 PM
Hey Rick,
WOW! You're fast. YEEEEEESSSSSS!!!! That's it. Kudos to those of you who know how to manipulate all the 0's & 1's.

I found this pic & like the paint style w/red & white.
http://www.pc-6.com/history/954.htm

Here's the site with other pics:
http://www.pc-6.com/

Looks like finding any kind of scale dimensional dwgs. may be a nightmare for the Dornier Do-27. I did find this:
http://www.the-blueprints.com/bluepr...dornier_do_27/

I do want the Do-27 to look the Army version as the same as the model.

I'll do some more digging to see if I can get more data on the Do-27.

Thanks again...

Denny
Apr 04, 2015, 10:33 PM
Hey Rick,
Just an update. I got back on V5 again & looks to be a lot of issues still with it. None of the gas models had the correct flight geometry as all the T.O's & landing were gruesome. The electrics didn't seem bad, although I'm gonna put them thru some more real tests to see if they are buggy also. I am really disappointed with Phoenix. Do you think the models you are gonna create for me will work on V4? I don't want you to waste your time if it's not feasible. Thanks.....

Denny
Apr 05, 2015, 09:41 AM
Thread OP

Making Progress

Denny,

Sometimes the 1's and 0"s cooperate, sometimes not

Have a reasonable basic model in Blender (the 3D editor), but having a few issues with PhoenixBuilder.
Will get there - just part of the fun.

PhoenixRC v5 works well for me, just make sure that you have the latest update.

Cheers, rick p
Last edited by rickp; Apr 05, 2015 at 01:34 PM.
Apr 05, 2015, 10:42 AM
Hey Rick,
Since I'm rather computer inept regarding file/folder manipulation & getting into the programming aspect of a computer, I uninstalled the V5 & did the upgrade again. Now it's working, hopefully, as the models appear to function properly.

The model looks GREAT! I am patient, so your endeavor doing this is appreciated & I certainly won't hound you to hurry. Being retired has me in a constant simple "cruise mode".....works so well. Thanks again...

I hope you found the links I posted were somewhat helpful. Here's my Do-27 in the grass behind my house awaiting maiden.

Denny
Apr 05, 2015, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
Denny,

Like the PC-6 paint scheme in the link - has lots of pics, which helps.

And your Do-27 is absolutely beautiful.

Enjoy, rick p
Apr 05, 2015, 08:57 PM
Thread OP

From the Easter Bunny

Denny,

Something to play with while you wait.
Unzip "PC_6_v06" to your PhoenixBuilder/Test/Models folder.
In PhoenixRC you should then see a PC-6 under Model.Change.Testing.Scale.

The graphics are incomplete, but it flies nevertheless.
Your job is to get it to fly like you think a PC-6 should.
My job is to make it look like a PC-6 should.

Play with throws and whatnot in Model.Edit and see what happens.
Record what you end up with so we can incorporate them into the final model

Almost forgot - you might want to scale it up 150% in Model.Edit to get to a size you like.

Enjoy, rick p

ps: I gave it 25% expo as thought it was too sensitive.
Apr 06, 2015, 05:16 PM
Thread OP

Updated Pilatus PC-6

An interesting problem as these things go.
Some of my meshes were essentially inside-out, resulting in the "paint" being on the inside of the surface.
Net-net is that an inside-out surface is invisible in PhoenixRC.
Fixed with the "Flip Normals" command in Blender.

Enjoy the updated model - flies okay for now, so I'll get serious about the texturing.

Cheers, rick p
Apr 07, 2015, 08:52 AM
Hey Rick,
I downloaded the plane into Phoenix & found it under the Airplane listing. I loaded it up & noticed it was gas powered. I got into the Edit function to change it to electric(500 elec.), then changed W/S to 1700mm(68"/5.75'). Went to a 3 blade prop.. I couldn't get it to stay in the air, almost no aileron control, very heavy porpoising & I'm not computer saavy enough to correct the flight attributes. The model I have has a 12X6 2/blade prop., 700kv 4s(14.8v)power, & 3" tires(couldn't change size).I didn't try to download it into the Phoenix builder as I have no idea how to use that. Oh well... I have other planes to practice with so I'm not gonna get too concerned having the PC-6. Thanks so much for trying & I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

Denny
Last edited by yorkiepap; Apr 07, 2015 at 08:58 AM.
Apr 07, 2015, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepap
Hey Rick,
I downloaded the plane into Phoenix & found it under the Airplane listing. I loaded it up & noticed it was gas powered. I got into the Edit function to change it to electric(500 elec.), then changed W/S to 1700mm(68"/5.75'). Went to a 3 blade prop.. I couldn't get it to stay in the air, almost no aileron control, very heavy porpoising & I'm not computer saavy enough to correct the flight attributes. The model I have has a 12X6 2/blade prop., 700kv 4s(14.8v)power, & 3" tires(couldn't change size).I didn't try to download it into the Phoenix builder as I have no idea how to use that. Oh well... I have other planes to practice with so I'm not gonna get too concerned having the PC-6. Thanks so much for trying & I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

Denny
How about going back and trying it before making any changes?
It should fly pretty good then, with only nose up trim needed.

That said, I'll try your mods and see what happens.

BTW, I've been making 'em gassers recently because I like the smoke
Never mind that all my real models are electric - go figure.

Making progress with the texturing.

Cheers, rick p
Last edited by rickp; Apr 07, 2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: add image
Apr 07, 2015, 01:30 PM
Hey Rick,
I deleted the file as it didn't work. I'll wait to see if you can do any improvement overall. If not, I won't lose any sleep as there are plenty of models to practice with. I fly all elec. except for the 1 gasser, a Sig Seniorita .40.

Denny
Apr 08, 2015, 10:19 AM
Thread OP

PC-6 at 1.8M scale

Denny,

Worked on it a bit more and here's a video of it scaled to 1.8M with a 400 electric.
Oops - noticed that I forgot to disable the smoke .

You can't just change the wing-span, need to scale the whole model.
Seems to fly about right to me - actually like it at the larger size.

No worries if you're done messing with it.
I'll upload the file later regardless.

Cheers, rick p

Pilatus PC 6 v61 in PhoenixRC (0 min 30 sec)
Apr 09, 2015, 09:15 AM
Hey Rick,
Looks a lot better, although sounds like a gasser...no big deal. I'll wait for your download & see how it goes. THANKS!

Denny
Apr 09, 2015, 09:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepap
Hey Rick,
Looks a lot better, although sounds like a gasser...no big deal. I'll wait for your download & see how it goes. THANKS!

Denny
You're a hard task-master, Mr. Denny!
Will fix that and post it for you.

Meanwhile, I've been working on a more colorful paint scheme.

Cheers, rick p
Apr 09, 2015, 01:15 PM
Hello Rickp

You are learning prety fast. How about to add some smoothing. I think it will add some visual impovement to your models. Nice work anyway ;-)
Apr 09, 2015, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHed
Hello Rickp

You are learning prety fast. How about to add some smoothing. I think it will add some visual impovement to your models. Nice work anyway ;-)
You're right - just need to figure out how to do it without rounding the things I don't want to impact.
Feel free to give me some Blender advice in this area.

Thanks, rick p
Apr 09, 2015, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Denny,

Seems to fly fine to me even scaled all the way up to 2 meters (200%).
Gave it a medium electric engine and snuffed the smoke.
Hope this works better for you.

Enjoy, rick p

ps: added pics from Blender and PhoenixBuilder to document the progressionn
Last edited by rickp; Apr 10, 2015 at 07:34 AM.

Quick Reply