Feb 02, 2015, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Hyperion Atlas ESC issue

I am having an issue with my ESC and would greatly appreciate any help I can get from the members here.
Equipment is:
Lemon Feather light 6ch rx
Hyperion Atlas 12A LBEC brushless ESC
HURC 300 'Blue Wonder' 1600kv Brushless Motor
I bound the rx to my DX6 then hooked up the motor and esc. Turn on tx and then plug in battery. ESC emits continual double beeps and the throttle does not work although the rx led is solid red and all other servos operate. If I unplug the battery and then plug it right back in the throttle works as do all other servos but now the rx led is steadily flashing. I have calibrated max and min throttle according to the manual.
I have a 6 amp Turnigy plush ESC and motor combo that I hooked up to the receiver and it works fine. Could I have a bad ESC or is there a trick to these Hyperion units? Would you connect the battery twice and fly with the rx led flashing? This is an indoor foam airplane. Thank you in advance.
Mark
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2015, 04:33 PM
Do you have any documentation regarding the ESC and receiver?

Glen
Feb 02, 2015, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
Yes, I have the Hyperion instruction book and have the Lemon PDF of the manual.
I could not find a resolution there.
Feb 02, 2015, 07:37 PM
I think the rx led flashing is just telling you it had a power outage, and but you deliberately did that so it's not a problem.
It's likely an ESC setup issue, but to exclude an rx issue plug a servo into the throttle channel and see if it works on normal first time power up. If you don't have a separate power source, just plug the ESC into any spare channel to power the rx (remove prop first, jic).
If the servo operates normally, the focus on the ESC - IIRC my smaller Hyperion ESC need manual cell count setting. Also ensure you're testing with a fully charged pack.
Feb 02, 2015, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
scirocco,
Thanks for the response. I plugged a spare servo into the throttle and plugged the ESC into the aux pins and the servo works as it should with throttle stick movement. There is now a single beep every ten seconds but the rx led stays solid red. Returned all connectors back to normal and original issue returns.
Feb 02, 2015, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaknob
scirocco,
Thanks for the response. I plugged a spare servo into the throttle and plugged the ESC into the aux pins and the servo works as it should with throttle stick movement. There is now a single beep every ten seconds but the rx led stays solid red. Returned all connectors back to normal and original issue returns.
Have you attempted to try with a different ESC?

The single beep every 10 seconds may be normal. I have an ESC that does that when the throttle stick is down to remind me that the battery is connected to the ESC. The idea being that I should not leave the battery in the plane at the end of a flight.

Glen
Feb 02, 2015, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
The only other ESC I currently have is a Turnigy plush 6amp and I have hooked it up in this plane and it works fine. It is just too small for this application. I guess I'll just have to order a new ESC. I was hoping to maiden this airplane Thurs. at an indoor fly but it's not going to happen. Thanks for the help guys.
Feb 03, 2015, 03:27 AM
Have you tried with the throttle trim set to less than neutral, ie add trim in the direction of MIN throttle?

The two beeps repeated indicates no signal from receiver, but it could also mean no valid signal from rx, ie not a low enough pulse width. I've had a few ESCs that needed several clicks of trim to receive a valid low throttle signal and arm
Feb 03, 2015, 08:00 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
It may be that your receiver is taking too long to initialize (boot) and the ESC is not seeing a valid signal from it in time and the continual beep is it's indication that there is no valid signal.

When you quickly disconnect and reconnect the power, the receiver stays initialized and then the ESC does see the valid signal and is happy. Scorpion ESC's had this problem with Spectrum (I think) receivers some years ago.
Feb 03, 2015, 08:18 AM
Thread OP
scirocco,
I have tried with the throttle trim reduced many times all the way to full trim down.
BTW I'll bee in your neck of the woods next month. Headed to Sydney.

Mike,
I think you may have hit on it. The ESC beeps start more than a full second before the rx led goes red. I may have to try another brand of receiver.

Thanks for the assistance.
Mark
Feb 03, 2015, 09:51 AM
Sometimes the Rx will lose bind or brownout if the Tx is too close to the Rx. Try rebinding the Rx with the Tx at least 3 feet away from the Rx. Keep battery wires at least 1 1/2 away from the Rx wire if possible, the current flow can cause interrupted signals. Is there a ferrite ring on the Esc to Rx wire... fwiw Doug B
Feb 03, 2015, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
Just did a rebind from 10+ feet away with the rx out of the fuselage and as far from ESC as wires will permit. No joy. Also there is no ferrite ring.
Feb 03, 2015, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
I was able to try a buddy's 10 amp Turnigy Plush ESC and it fired right up. I paid him for it and now I'm ready to fly Thursday. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Mark
Feb 04, 2015, 07:18 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
That's good. It seems that ESC is not compatible with your receiver.

Quick Reply