Feb 16, 2020, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlink05
Did y'all ever get the F-20's finished?
I didn't finish mind yet, I have so many that I put this one on the back burner for now but I will get to it this year for sure.
Latest blog entry: "Is that a Turbine?" Not...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2020, 07:09 PM
That does look great though!!!...Please let us know if you decide to finish it and more importantly---Fly it!

Kevin
Feb 18, 2020, 01:00 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
that's sexy!!!!!!!!! always wanted the Byron f20
Feb 18, 2020, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=AIR SALLY;40256991]The one issue i have with that is the low pressure area it creates on the wrong side of the plane. It is a wonder any of the byron jets could takeoff. But a small naca scoop ,just big enough to reach 100% fsa,might work.[/QUOTE

The Byron F-20 is only 2 sq. in. of inlet area away from a closed-duct system, 1 sq. in. on each inlet. a very small enlargement
Lay up appropriately-sized inlet ducting. Slit the fuselage skin to accommodate the new inlet duct dimensions.

You could incorporate off-the-shelf BVM Electra inlet ducting as well. The extra work pays off. Up to a 50% performance gain.
Feb 18, 2020, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=Fanflyer;43852753]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
The one issue i have with that is the low pressure area it creates on the wrong side of the plane. It is a wonder any of the byron jets could takeoff. But a small naca scoop ,just big enough to reach 100% fsa,might work.[/QUOTE

The Byron F-20 is only 2 sq. in. of inlet area away from a closed-duct system, 1 sq. in. on each inlet. a very small enlargement
Lay up appropriately-sized inlet ducting. Slit the fuselage skin to accommodate the new inlet duct dimensions.

You could incorporate off-the-shelf BVM Electra inlet ducting as well. The extra work pays off. Up to a 50% performance gain.
How do you know that it will fit?
Feb 18, 2020, 11:49 PM
Classic jets rule
Quote:
The one issue i have with that is the low pressure area it creates on the wrong side of the plane. It is a wonder any of the byron jets could takeoff. But a small naca scoop ,just big enough to reach 100% fsa,might work.[/QUOTE

Are talking about a 120mm zEDF or a byron fan?
Feb 19, 2020, 12:03 PM
The Byron fan has long been out of production so I wouldn't consider it's use . Now we have more efficient, higher quality stuff in the 120 to 150mm range. The FSA requirements on those fans are close to the inlet area of the Byron F-20. I was suggesting increasing the inlet area 2 sq. in. so a closed inlet duct could be used.
Feb 19, 2020, 03:38 PM
Classic jets rule
Got it .....Bob Ruff has adapters to make EDF's out of Byron fans.
Feb 19, 2020, 05:34 PM
I'm planning on going with Schubeler's DS-94 HST (128mm) on 14s. One thing I'm a little hung up on is wanting to cut the wings for flaps instead of having flaperons.
Feb 20, 2020, 09:10 AM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
It is now called the DS98 as they have optimised motor production allowing slight increase in FSA
Feb 21, 2020, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini
It is now called the DS98 as they have optimised motor production allowing slight increase in FSA
Bob,

Thanks
Feb 21, 2020, 07:33 PM
Quote:

Unfortunately, it looks like the BVM intake ducts will not work and I think I can modify a pair of intakes from my old Perceptor. I just happen to have a set lying around and these are the closes fitting and looking intakes that fit inside the original mounts which are attached already to the shape of the fuse with the exception of not being tall enough. I think I can cut and extend the height with fiberglass and glassing over. I'll take pictures to get some feedback on this prior to doing all the work. I do realize that these are weak however wrapping and glassing should give them enough strength.
Feb 25, 2020, 06:05 PM
If the Preceptor ducts will work Tower Hobbies sells them...About $75 for a set.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXENFP&P=ML

Kevin
Mar 02, 2020, 01:39 AM
Here's what it looks like however, they are still small and I'll need to cut these to make them taller. They are actually the right length though.
Mar 02, 2020, 06:35 AM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Chris Wolfe can print ducts that would be exactly what you need.

Quick Reply