Micro Ugly Stick Build - RC Groups
Feb 01, 2015, 08:12 PM
Build Log

Micro Ugly Stick Build

Phil Kraft was a genius! I think he just like flying models more than designing or building them. I designed a micro Kwik Fli III for Park 180 power a few weeks ago and gave laser-cut kits to my son and a handful of friends. Friday the urge struck me to make something new. What could be quicker than a Stik?

Off to Outerzone I went, found plans for Das Liddle Stick, and started redrawing the outline in CAD. It was so simple - lots of straight lines with even dimensions for transposing. I bet I spent more time transferring the drawing to CAD than he spent designing it in the first place!

I've made a bunch of laser kits for others since I got it going, but haven't had a chance to use it for myself. This was a chance for me to start taking advantage of what a laser can do, without having to share it right away with anybody. I also wanted to make it "snap together" easy (inspiration was found at E-Fest last weekend with a forthcoming design for Fly RC, I believe), so I spent a bunch of time making notches and dovetails. None of that shows on the PDF plans - it's all in the cut file for the parts.

So, here's where I am right now. One photo of the parts and a PDF for you to enjoy.

The hope is that I have this plane ready to fly at the Armory on Saturday. Wish me luck!

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2015, 09:58 PM
B for Bruce
That is slick! What's the wing span? The way the ribs are shaped sort of suggests a one piece pre-formed "D" tube leading edge. Is that the case?
Feb 01, 2015, 10:21 PM
Hi Bruce,

21.026" span according to the CAD file, but it should be .014 smaller based on the kerf. No D-tube - that would be a lot of weight.

I'm ready to start on assembling the wing, but came here to post pictures of the fuselage and tail. Then I'm going to bed. Tomorrow night the club is coming here to watch the laser cut out wing parts for the club candy bomber (150% Kadet) and then THEY are taking them home to finish assembly.

I wish I had enabled the time display so you could see how fast it's going. The interlocking fuselage edges worked real well. If I could use CA it would have been even easier, but this is fast enough - I can hold a part for a few seconds and then tape it if I need to.

I would like to make a faux engine cylinder for it. Gotta find some art of one that looks like it belongs there. Not sure if I want to shrink an old .60, or go with a Cox .010.

Andy
Feb 02, 2015, 08:51 AM
Oh this is really nice Andy. I have the guts from a Beast 3d that I think would work? Would you be interested in burning a short kit and selling it to me?

Jay
Feb 02, 2015, 10:04 AM
I need to make a few fixes before I can go let others have them. My plan is to make the kit available through Manzano. My laser is for prototyping, not for production work (so says the man who has cut a bunch of planes for others, and this is the first for himself).

As for the parts, yes, that would work fine. I'll eventually have a complete BOM and your Beast guts would be perfect. Do you have the version with the brick or with separate Rud/Ele servos?

Andy
Feb 02, 2015, 01:21 PM
Thanks Andy. Looking forward to it. My Beast guts has the brick with the rud/ele servos.
Feb 02, 2015, 06:33 PM
Need less hobbies, more toys
Nice Andy! I have some beast guys sitting around too. I would love to build this when you feel ready to sell a kit.
Feb 03, 2015, 06:24 PM
Kinda off topic but are you still going to build the 150% version of that 1/2A mustang. Id love to buy a kit
Feb 03, 2015, 06:42 PM
Not sure I remember what you're asking about. The Python by Mark Rittinger?

Andy
Feb 03, 2015, 08:18 PM
Last night's club meeting was a success. We cut the wing ribs and spar web on the laser, and one of the guys agreed to do the construction. That's great!

Tonight I was able to get started on the wings. The ribs are real snug in the spar notches, but this wasn't a bad thing. I was able to assemble the main spars and leading edge to the in just a few minutes, square things up, and glue.

Here are the photos.

Andy
Feb 03, 2015, 09:43 PM
Hey the weather is going to be nice Saturday. A couple of all nighters and you will be able to maiden it then!
Feb 03, 2015, 09:46 PM
The weather is always nice in the Armory

Andy
Feb 03, 2015, 10:16 PM
Ya I was talking about the python. It looks like it would be a really good plane to scale up and overpower
Feb 03, 2015, 10:30 PM
Some day.
Feb 03, 2015, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
The weather is always nice in the Armory

Andy
Grrr... I guess I need to find a job in Champaign!