Jul 10, 2015, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomeboy
I agree. Can you show us a picture of your finished leading edge?

The way that I did it adds 1/8" to the wing root width.
I do not see how that will make a difference in the performance.
The sanding is not finished, but I'll post another picture once completed. You get the idea in the pic. I must add that I will be feathering the ply down, by sanding, so the "ripple" effect will be unavoidable - but not too worried about that. Plus, I'm also contemplating the benefits of spraying different colored fluorescent paints on the top and bottom of the LE + D box area (which would hide any rippling), for visibility only - then covering the wing.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2015, 10:30 PM

Nice Job

Looks good, and I like your ideas for coloring the wing.
Traian was really done a nice job with this kit. I really like the engraving, it helps a lot.
Jul 11, 2015, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomeboy
Looks good, and I like your ideas for coloring the wing.
Traian was really done a nice job with this kit. I really like the engraving, it helps a lot.
Thanks mate. Yes, Traian has done an amazing job on this kit. This built up ZoneV2 wing design is absolutely epic.
Jul 11, 2015, 03:52 AM
Thread OP
Sorry Imade it soo "dificult" for you gentelman. Any easier that you would fall asleap. The idees to add the balsa to the LE is not bad since it could use a lilte extra surface area and it is much easier indeed to shape the LE.

I want to hear you flying it gentaelman. But no rush.

For joining the two halves do not worry about glassing the center section. A 1in round patch around the trailing edge bolt position will be all it needs.

1 Cut the slots for the joining spar.
2 Sand bevel angle
3 Dry fit check the LE shape and match
4 COVER THE WINGS FIRST before you join them. COVER the bottm then the top. When you cover the top side of the wing, place the wing back on the frame and tape in a couple of spots.
5 Fill in the joining area with epoxy isert the spar tape the wing together and suppot to get the dyhedral angle 12degrees and that is it.
6 Add patches around the TE bolt.
Jul 11, 2015, 05:12 AM
Suspended Account

Not Zone 2 but I hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkus
The sanding is not finished, but I'll post another picture once completed. You get the idea in the pic. I must add that I will be feathering the ply down, by sanding, so the "ripple" effect will be unavoidable - but not too worried about that. Plus, I'm also contemplating the benefits of spraying different colored fluorescent paints on the top and bottom of the LE + D box area (which would hide any rippling), for visibility only - then covering the wing.
This is not the Zone 2 Foil but I hope the image helps.

Mal :-)
Last edited by Mal Bond; Jul 12, 2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: LE Closeup
Jul 11, 2015, 06:35 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
So I got started today. Went out and bought a board to build on and some 3m 77 but forgot the double sided tape.
Jul 12, 2015, 08:11 AM
Got my leading edges sanded down last night. They aren't beautiful, but I seriously doubt I'll be able to find anything wrong with how they fly.

Chris
Jul 12, 2015, 09:03 AM
JustPlaneChris,

With your wing halves now having a sanded leading edge would you be kind enough to slide one wing panel into the fuse (mine is the wood pod version) and tell me if the bolt slots in the wing match with the alum form threaded holes. My wing halves need to go approx 1/8" forward for the mounting holes to match.

Thanks

Bob
Jul 12, 2015, 10:50 AM
Bob, I would... but I haven't built the pod yet!

Chris
Jul 12, 2015, 03:12 PM
After throwing DLGs this morning I stopped at Ace and snagged some double sided tape. Super happy to get the skins tapped and ready.

I noticed some other shipping damages. Near the trailing edge at the root on one skin it was ripped through. Luckily the there was enough material holding it together that I was able to make it line up with the tape. The other skin, however, is missing about half an inch of this section.

I haven't looked around in the bottom of the box but hopefully I can find it. I'm wondering what level of concerned I need to be even though these spots are right over the root ribs. It shouldn't be too big of a deal, should it?
Jul 12, 2015, 05:56 PM
Wow. Today was a rare day. The wife, baby, AND toddler all took naps at the same time. I just kept going and got through the shear webs on one half!

Another question. The piece that has the wing TE and flap LE, I don't understand where the flap LE is used. I haven't gotten that far in the video series. I'm assuming it will come into play later and that I didn't screw anything up!
Jul 12, 2015, 08:23 PM
Looking good!

The piece marked Flap LE is glued to the front of the flap material to use as a guide for tapering, so that it matches the taper of the wing TE. It'll make sense after you watch the flap video.

Chris
Jul 12, 2015, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
Looking good!

The piece marked Flap LE is glued to the front of the flap material to use as a guide for tapering, so that it matches the taper of the wing TE. It'll make sense after you watch the flap video.

Chris
OK. Great!

One other question. How does the last shear web get placed? Pic if you have one.
Jul 12, 2015, 10:16 PM

CA or Epoxy

Does one really use CA to glue the boom to the aluminum formers, or should I use epoxy? Same question as to how to glue the aluminum formers to the fuselage.
Jul 12, 2015, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
OK. Great!

One other question. How does the last shear web get placed? Pic if you have one.
Hi mikejr, here's how I did mine - I'm about to epoxy the top skin on. I also included a photo of the root rib TE area - relating to some earlier photos you posted above. It's probably too late to do anything about it now, but you will note that there is a space between the two TE root ribs (only at TE area). I also wanted to point out that the wing TE piece goes right through to finish flush with the end of the innermost root rib. This area is a wing bolt hard point (it's mentioned somewhere else is this thread).

Regarding your ply skins - the laser cutting of one of your skins, in the TE area, looks like a mistake (admittedly, pretty easy to correct). Also, one of my ply top skins arrived broken at the rear wing bolt area. I'm not concerned about it at all, as it is epoxied down and will have a 1 inch circle of FG reinforcing over the join.

But, your bird is coming together nicely - looking good! And enjoying the pics.

Quick Reply