Jan 31, 2015, 10:07 PM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Thread OP
Build Log

The Sonic wing - reborn

I am getting close to re-releasing the old Bowman Sonic chevron wing. It should be available on www.jwglider.com by mid-February 2015. The Sonic is a high performance aerobatic and DS wing, not a combat-style wing. Many of you have wondered if the Sonic would return so I am happy to announce that it is almost here.

I have built a pre-production Sonic and wanted to share a build log. Specs on this build are as follows:

Servos: Hitec 5085MG
RX: Spektrum 400 DSMX
Battery: 4-Cell Eneloop 2nd Generation AA size Flat Pack
AUW: 23 oz
Switch: None (old-school servo extension system)

Since this is a preproduction prototype, I am temporarily using straight elevons. When the correct elevon stock arrives I will swap them out.

For strapping tape, I ran length-wise pieces above and below spar, at the Leading edge and at the trailing edge. I then ran 2" wide bias strips at 4" on center. The wing has plenty of torsional stiffness the weight of the model. Winglets are taped in with strapping tape through slits in the coroplast. Because I chose to locate the servos 8" from the center line and fairly far back, I had to add 2.5 oz of lead in the nose to hit the CG. If I were to move the servos inboard and forward, plus go to a 6.0 volt battery, it may not require any nose weight to balance. I also used 4-40 linkages since that is what I had on hand; 2-56 linkages would shave some weight and reduce the amount of nose lead needed.

The spar location is interesting as it is very effective at keeping the wing in shape. It also leaves the entire forward area available for locating radio gear however one so chooses. It builds fast, I put the spar in last night and had the plane ready to fly by early afternoon today.

I did manage to to do some hand launch trimming flights this afternoon. At 23 oz, she feels like she will work at my local slope in 10mph+ wind. Now to pray for some wind!
Last edited by Aerogance; Feb 01, 2015 at 05:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2015, 05:12 PM
Thread OP

Maiden Complete!

Got the Sonic out in some clean 18mph wind at Parker today. The CG is absolutely perfect! The trims were very close from yesterday's park session and all I really needed was a few clicks of down trim to get the optimal glide.

As for flying, since I have never flown a Sonic before, I was expecting it to behave like a typical combat chevron. But it is nothing like a combat wing at all. It is faster through the air and much more lively on the the sticks. The aileron and elevator response is very linear and predicatable. The 23oz weight is not very heavy so the plane could be caught if one so chooses.

Compared to a combat wing, the Sonic is very much more aerobatic on the front of the slope. It can do inside and outside loops with ease, huge pumps, and the roll rate is better than a combat chevy.

Dominic (Screaming Eagle) was on the hill and got to test fly the plane. He seemed as impressed with it as I am. Here is a short video of Dom flying the reborn Sonic today:

Sonic - Reborn and Better Than Ever! (0 min 32 sec)
Feb 01, 2015, 06:56 PM
Shut up and fly!
The Sonic rocked! Like Aaron said, it locked into a bumpy groove right from the start and really made the most of the available energy. Very fun to fly and I'll definitely be getting one. Very nice frontside agility too!
Feb 01, 2015, 09:22 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Can we assume it's 48" wingspan?

-= Dave
Feb 01, 2015, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Yes, its 48".
Aug 04, 2015, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
Quick little video of Bruce Tebo flying the Sonic wing at a local hill:

Bruce Flies the Sonic Wing (2 min 17 sec)

Quick Reply