May 05, 2015, 04:37 PM
Radioactive Flier
So I just got my Recoil and man I am blown away. Didn't think something this small could be this fast or this much fun. It is a rocket and turns on a dime.

BUT, I flipped my over maybe 3 times on my 5 minute run and I had probably an inch of water in the damn thing when I got done. I'm lucky nothing fried. I will try taping up the hatch next time to see if that is where all the water is coming in. Can't be much coming in the shaft as I still had fresh grease around it after the run.
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2015, 06:31 PM
Radioactive Flier
So I added some foam material around the edge of the canopy and it seemed to work. Here is a nice little video of the run. Flipped it once and submarined it really good one time. Very little water in the boat this time. Boat did smell like very hot electronics after the run. Was full throttle most of the time. This little boat is quick.

Pro Boat Recoil 17 Pond Run (3 min 56 sec)

And here are a few before and after pictures. One of the stickers was already coming off and was pleasantly surprised how easily it came, off, so now I have sleek looking all red boat!

Last edited by Raylon; May 06, 2015 at 07:52 PM.
May 06, 2015, 09:34 PM
I think it looks a lot better all red anyway.That's a big plus being able to remove the stickers and use your own.The other versions use decals with a thin layer of clear coat over them, the decals slowly chip off in pieces since the clear is so thin.

Thanks for posting that, I'll try finding a Recoil hull after my Super Mono X gets a little worse.
May 10, 2015, 02:19 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENSRC63
So theRecoil leaks same as the Barbwire?? Same gasketing ect ??
Though I can't speak for the Barbwire; the Recoil does tend to take on water pretty quickly if you flip it over enough times. Over on the Barbwire thread, there was recent discussion on this which has helped me quite a bit.

On my particular model, the hatch leaks a lot and so does the antenna exit hole. Some clear vinyl tape around the seam helps and the antenna hole will be stuffed with some thin rubber or a blob of silicone. The Stuffing Shaft can be sealed with some silicone tube and shrink tube as well. Yet another area to look at is the inlet/pickup and entire cooling system.
May 10, 2015, 02:23 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Welcome to the thread Raylon.
Nice video and pond

+1 for Sticker removal
The hull suddenly looks so much more sophisticated. A simplified canopy decal would make it look better too. The one thing that really needs a decal is the scoop up top to give it some depth and make it look functional.
May 10, 2015, 08:45 AM
Closed Account
Put some black pin-stripping on the outside edge ( 1/4" ) is all it needs for looks. Boat looks great in red and easy to see on the water.
May 10, 2015, 08:21 PM
Radioactive Flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thelephant
Welcome to the thread Raylon.
Nice video and pond

+1 for Sticker removal
The hull suddenly looks so much more sophisticated. A simplified canopy decal would make it look better too. The one thing that really needs a decal is the scoop up top to give it some depth and make it look functional.
Isn't the best sharpie paintjob in the world but it does add to the looks!
May 12, 2015, 09:31 AM
Radioactive Flier
Looks good out on the lake:

Question about solid shafts. I'm used to greasing every 2-3 runs on a flex shaft with my other boats, but I have never had a solid shaft before. After 3 runs the grease still look brand new on the Recoil, just wondering about how many runs can I go with this thing before it needs to be greased again?

I am comparing apples to oranges though, my other boats last about 15 minutes on one battery and best I've gotten out of this thing is 3:45. Doesn't last very long.
May 18, 2015, 01:50 PM
WARNING: Newbie questions from an airplane guy...

Since we moved into a house in January that is near a park with a nice lake, I decided to pick one of these up last week.

I got a chance to try it out this weekend and it was a blast! After I screamed around the pond for a bit, I cranked the throttle d/r all the way down so it was slow enough my 4 year old could run it and she loved it.

So my main question has been mentioned already in this thread, I'm concerned about water getting inside the boat. I know some of the components are waterproof but it seems like any water around batteries and electricity would be a bad thing.. some of you have mentioned that you improved the seal on that hatch, can you provide detailed instructions and/or pics of how you did this?

I was somewhat surprised the lipo isn't sealed or waterproofed somehow. Can lipos survive being partially submerged?

What is the Tx range?

I've got a bunch of 2200 3S 20C airplane packs that are slightly larger than the stock battery, but I think they will fit, they are just longer. Any reason I can't use those? Sounds like that actually helps flip it back over should I end up upside down.....
May 20, 2015, 01:43 PM
FlyBilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohdem
WARNING: Newbie questions from an airplane guy...

Since we moved into a house in January that is near a park with a nice lake, I decided to pick one of these up last week.

I got a chance to try it out this weekend and it was a blast! After I screamed around the pond for a bit, I cranked the throttle d/r all the way down so it was slow enough my 4 year old could run it and she loved it.

So my main question has been mentioned already in this thread, I'm concerned about water getting inside the boat. I know some of the components are waterproof but it seems like any water around batteries and electricity would be a bad thing.. some of you have mentioned that you improved the seal on that hatch, can you provide detailed instructions and/or pics of how you did this?

I was somewhat surprised the lipo isn't sealed or waterproofed somehow. Can lipos survive being partially submerged?

What is the Tx range?

I've got a bunch of 2200 3S 20C airplane packs that are slightly larger than the stock battery, but I think they will fit, they are just longer. Any reason I can't use those? Sounds like that actually helps flip it back over should I end up upside down.....
The LIPO cell pack can get wet, its the connector that you want to keep out of the water I've been running these small fast electrics for a little while and never had a problem - batteries get wet (not submerged) all the time.

Range on this 2.4Ghz seems similar to others in this class, definitely out beyond where you can tell which way the boat is pointed...

I've run 2200 mAh batts in my Barbwire, which is essentially the same boat. The Recoil should handle it fine, although you will have a pronounced list to port
May 20, 2015, 01:48 PM
FlyBilly
I just picked up my Recoil yesterday. Tested it in the pool and ran it for the first time this afternoon. First impressions: Noticeably slower than the Atomik Barbwire. I ran it twice with 1800 mAh batteries... maybe it will be faster with the lighter stock batt? I noticed that at WOT most of the hull was in the water, so I am going to try to adjust the trim tabs to get the bow up out of the water. The Recoil took on a lot of water compared to my Barbwire, so I am going to try taping the hatch and sealing the antenna hole and see if its any better. So, I 'm not blown away but maybe I will be once I get her dialed in
May 26, 2015, 01:45 PM
Tip Stall
Just got my Recoil. havnt had a chance to run it yet but I do like the component quality. I just hope it doesnt take on too much water like most brands do using this type of hull.
May 26, 2015, 01:57 PM
FlyBilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENSRC63
Just got my Recoil. havnt had a chance to run it yet but I do like the component quality. I just hope it doesnt take on too much water like most brands do using this type of hull.
My Recoil takes on a lot more water than my Barbwire ever did I am going to start taping the hull and might also try Farmer's suggestion of using some fuel tubing to keep water from leaking in through the stuffing tube...

One thing I noticed, the Recoil likes the batteries/cg forward of where my Barbwire did... once I moved the batteries forward the boat ran better and the chine walking almost went away entirely
May 27, 2015, 06:49 AM
Tip Stall
Thanks for the update.
May 27, 2015, 09:15 AM
Tip Stall
[QUOTE=wkener2;31724668]My Recoil takes on a lot more water than my Barbwire ever did I am going to start taping the hull and might also try Farmer's suggestion of using some fuel tubing to keep water from leaking in through the stuffing tube...

Does the fuel line go over the spinning shaft and stuffing tube to stop the leak?

Quick Reply