Jul 02, 2019, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallp
(I should have looked I guess...)
Phew
No worries. I had the exact same thought about the "clip" when my horizontal stab popped off after a crash.

Happy flying!
~Shoe
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2019, 04:28 PM
BMFA 190658
Never had the horizontal stab come off but mine is waiting for me to fix the vertical stab back on!

Not sure whether to tape it again or glue it...

Tony
Jul 12, 2019, 07:00 AM
So I've bought a whipit as a way of getting back into the hobby after a 20 year break. So much has changed!

Unfortunately I've encountered a problem after only a few short test glides. During initial setup on the bench, it seemed like the rudder was sluggish. I did a few very short test glides and this was confirmed. Plenty of authority on elevator to the point that it seems really pitchy, but rudder barely seemed to have enough throw and seemed quite delayed. I figured maybe that's just the way it is and I could work around it, so I gave it a slightly harder javelin throw for a test glide that would be a little longer, and immediately I had zero rudder. Luckily my lawn is nice and wide and hasn't been mowed in a week so I was still able to glide it to a nice gentle landing.

I opened it up and confirmed the servo is not moving. The servo motor was hot enough that it was painful to touch. I disconnected the control linkage at the rudder and the servo, took the battery out, let it all cool down. Rudder moves fine on it's own, control rod moves fine on it's own too. Plugged the battery back in, and same result. Servo will barely respond, slowly, for a second and then just immediately lock up and start generating heat. There's no obvious obstruction on the servo itself (glue or debris).

I emailed Horizon. I'm going to call them later today. Is there anything I could be doing in the meantime? I've never had a model with exposed, linear servos like this so I don't know if this is "typical" in any way or there's any default way to free up a jammed linear servo. Hopefully the unit isn't dead, I'm going on vacation next week to the coastline where there will be lots of nice micro-slope soaring potential on dunes and sea walls, and was really hoping to take this with me...

So much hope after reading this entire thread over the last few weeks, and finally placing the order, but now I'm a little disappointed.
Jul 12, 2019, 10:32 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
If you can turn the servo gear to move the surface the full travel each way w/o feeling anything jamming it, it sounds like you got a bum servo.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jul 12, 2019, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwizum
So I've bought a whipit as a way of getting back into the hobby after a 20 year break. So much has changed!

So much hope after reading this entire thread over the last few weeks, and finally placing the order, but now I'm a little disappointed.
I understand your disappointment; let's hope HH gets your problem sorted out quickly.

Your enthusiasm will be reinvigorated when you fly it! I think it is a great micro-sloper and when I occasionally catch a thermal it makes my day. I'm a big fan!
Last edited by papafoxtrot; Jul 12, 2019 at 03:19 PM.
Jul 12, 2019, 04:27 PM
The servo is basically unresponsive, even on a full battery and zero load of any kind on the servo. I have taken the little rx/servo brick out of the model now. I can turn the servo screw by hand and I can turn the motor, but the rx itself isn't able to turn the motor at all.

At any rate, Horizon are making things right, I can't complain about their customer service. I just hope the new unit gets here in time to take on my vacation!

I am still enthusiastic. I did a lot of HLG flying back in the day - before discus launching was a thing, when you threw the planes like a javelin. So I know I love smaller gliders. Ultimately I want to step up to a modern, high end 1m or 1.5m DLG, The Whipit will keep me happy until then I'm sure. And it'll be a good backup to teach my kids on if any of them express interest.
Aug 13, 2019, 08:38 AM
I did end up flying on the beach on my vacation, though not as much as hoped due to unfavorable wind conditions. I got the kids involved and they had a blast making up games with it. Mostly "catch" where they'd stand 20 or 30 yards apart and throw it to each other while one of them steered it to the other.

It did eventually get dunked in a tide pool and I was ready to write it off as a loss, but after quickly removing the battery, rinsing in fresh water, and blowing it out with a hair dryer, it continued working just fine.

I'm flying it a few times a week at home now, right in my yard. I have about an acre of clear grass in front of the house but it's surrounded by tall trees and there are a few spruce in the middle, so it's a bit precarious. Yesterday was my best day - one of those booming lift days where you can't help but find a thermal. It was easy to get the plane out of sight beyond the treeline so I did keep the thermaling very brief. And of course what goes up must come down, there was sink so strong it was like the plane was getting slapped out of the sky. Most flights were well over a minute though, my personal best day for sure. It would be fun to fly in a bigger space where I could get longer flights but honestly I feel like that's a little against the quick carefree toss-and-catch nature of this thing.

Just so much fun!
Aug 23, 2019, 10:36 PM
Where can one find a replacement nose cover?
Aug 23, 2019, 11:13 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=uMX+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Google search
Aug 23, 2019, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570
Now click the links and see sold out every where.
Aug 24, 2019, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga
Yeah , got to look hard for parts ..
There are still some about .
I wanted a spare wing , but the prices are outrageous for $1 worth of foam ..
Aug 25, 2019, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga
Funny, I checked on the first 4 suppliers on the search: Active powersports, Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies and RC Planet. Loaded spare parts- wings, tails, fuse, all into the shopping cart. They all showed in stock. Seems like there is plenty of spares out there.

Nosecones do seem rarer. Great Hobbies (Canada) says they have them in stock. Don’t know about shipping them your way.

Don
Last edited by fulldec; Aug 25, 2019 at 08:16 AM.
Aug 27, 2019, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulldec
Funny, I checked on the first 4 suppliers on the search: Active powersports, Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies and RC Planet. Loaded spare parts- wings, tails, fuse, all into the shopping cart. They all showed in stock. Seems like there is plenty of spares out there.

Nosecones do seem rarer. Great Hobbies (Canada) says they have them in stock. Don’t know about shipping them your way.

Don
Yeah, not finding anything in stock in the US. When shipping is more than the part... at that point might as well find the plane itself and use the old one as spare parts.
Oct 08, 2019, 09:16 AM

UMX Whipit with motor

Hey Friends,

I installed coreless motor on UMX Whipit, the test flight was pretty promising! ��

Im looking for someone that can design 3d motor mount for for the UMX Whipit.
If you can, please PM me.

Thank you
Latest blog entry: Axe frame

Quick Reply