Feb 13, 2015, 06:55 PM
Is there anything else out there to compare the Whipit to?

~Shoe
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2015, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstick
I wonder how a tow line launch would work with the Whippet? Like a Traxxas truck with brushless power with a tow line to the Whippet. I bet it would work well!

What do you guys think??
Slightly off topic, but I once towed a FliteTest Simple Soarer with my brushless Traxxas Slash, so im sure if you towed the WhipIt with a Slash, it would probably rip the wings off lol...
Feb 13, 2015, 08:37 PM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Shoe

~Shoe
nothing off the shelf, but there were a couple guys making a very similar kit you could put an AR6400 in... I actually got a kit but its still sitting on my shelf... I had planned to build it this winter, but now im not so sure....
Feb 13, 2015, 11:30 PM
I really want one but I'm worried about the tail when landing as I don't always catch my planes . I saw what Andy did but even that looked a little shaky . I think that I would want something that slants back so it would slide over grass or gravel .
Feb 14, 2015, 12:05 AM
Keep Looking Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Crandall
I really want one but I'm worried about the tail when landing as I don't always catch my planes . I saw what Andy did but even that looked a little shaky . I think that I would want something that slants back so it would slide over grass or gravel .
Read through this thread.. they mention using a tiny piece of carbon rod or something like that as a landing "skid"..
Feb 14, 2015, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Shoe

~Shoe
The Dream Flight Libelle is probably the closest thing out there.
Feb 14, 2015, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX_
Read through this thread.. they mention using a tiny piece of carbon rod or something like that as a landing "skid"..
Yes but looking at Andys picture it looks like that thing will just grab the grass or what ever . I would like something that slides .
Feb 14, 2015, 11:47 AM
Smasher of foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
nothing off the shelf, but there were a couple guys making a very similar kit you could put an AR6400 in... I actually got a kit but its still sitting on my shelf... I had planned to build it this winter, but now im not so sure....
Got a link to one of those kits? (PM me if you don't want to clutter up the WhipIt thread)
Feb 14, 2015, 12:36 PM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk
Got a link to one of those kits? (PM me if you don't want to clutter up the WhipIt thread)
Don't know if he is still producing them, here is the thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=ar6400
Feb 16, 2015, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Crandall
I would not worry about landing on grass. The landing is very slow and the plane is very light. There is not enough energy to damage anything. On cement there might be a bit of abrasion and a little protection against that should suffice. It'll probably also suffice for gravel.

Pete
Feb 17, 2015, 05:13 AM
Keep Looking Up
I'd probably just put a piece of clear tape on the bottom of the vertical stab/ rudder if landing on abrasive surface.
Feb 17, 2015, 08:43 AM
What is even lighter than tape, plus stronger, is a thin film of CA-gel lightly wiped on and mostly off & smoothly faired, on the tip L.E + tip underside. Even with EPS/EP [expanded polystyrene/styrene], if put on very sparingly and quickly breathed-on to start the catalysis before the solvent eats the thin foam, the result is hard, light and white [from the humid breath], and can be sanded very smooth if desired, or even built up with a 2nd coat.

I have been successfully doing this for many years with this type foam on the L.E. and tips: encounters of the nasty kind normally cause zero damage. Nil added weight [I often put it on foam noses too, as the CA-gel actually weighs less than accumulated dirt and definitely looks nicer].
Feb 17, 2015, 12:06 PM
I like the nose idea . would have helped my T28 .
Feb 17, 2015, 12:43 PM
forgot to mention [since OT]: on L.E. it creates a good turbulation effect, increasing L/D while preserving the L.E.
Feb 19, 2015, 10:45 AM
AMA Another Mans Airplane
really looking forward to this one. will any be for sale at NEF?

Quick Reply