Jul 02, 2015, 01:20 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Hey Lee what is that little yellow ultralight micro. The blurry one?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2015, 02:52 PM

way OT [sorry]

AFD

autonomous flying dinosaur

sub-class of hollow-boned, warm blooded, meat-eating feathered dinosaur: all birds eat meat [from worms & flies to wolves & cows], and most dinosaurs, incl. T.Rex -- no, not the heli, the other one -- were warm-blooded & feathered to keep themselves and their eggs warm, though only the small flying ones who had the 3rd kind of long feathers, survived [sorry Mr. Spielberg, too cheap to change expensive J. Park CGI after above discoveries]

now back to flying Whipits .... please
Jul 02, 2015, 03:00 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
deaRR [et al]:

I was always told that when building and/or designing planes it was very important to "add lightness". That is really true, but now I see that adding lightheartedness may be even more important
[tree? it's just taking a rest between flights].

merci! [Swiss for "thanks much"]

L
That joking around on the Internet is Risky Bidness, Buster.

Gets me in trouble alla time. I just got called out on my own thread for it. (Where's the Weeping Smiley when yu need him?)
Jul 02, 2015, 03:12 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC

Copy at will.
Jul 03, 2015, 05:07 PM
I finally got to fly my Whipit this afternoon, and I just can't seem to get a good launch, is there a video showing how to launch this thing?

I know thermals were there because I got a couple 16 min flights on my UMX radian most of it with the power off

I still had fun and will probably be feel it tomorrow

C
Jul 03, 2015, 05:11 PM
Checkertail Clan
check out post #25. Matt Andren demonstrates Whipit launches several times. That would be a good start.
Jul 03, 2015, 05:23 PM
he makes it look so easy, wen I launch it, it keeps going left in a steep bank.

I'm using he DX8 maybe I need to figure out a launch setting of some sort.

it was still fun and got me outside moving so that's good
Jul 04, 2015, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman View Post
he makes it look so easy, wen I launch it, it keeps going left in a steep bank.

I'm using he DX8 maybe I need to figure out a launch setting of some sort.
quite likely, esp. w.r.t. left bank on launch [note: the right wing will go faster when thrown right-handed into a tight left launch-circle] >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewinged View Post
I finally started my blog on Whipit setup, trimming, and flying. More to come...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9#post32049326

--Bill
Last edited by xlcrlee; Jul 04, 2015 at 05:55 AM. Reason: ytpo
Jul 04, 2015, 02:48 PM
I was hurting my shoulder a bit with DLG launches as this thing weighs nothing. I started tightening up my arm a little and whipping it so the weight of my arm doesn't just rip at my shoulder loosely. Getting 60 feet up I think. An easy solution to the rudder trim is I just place my thumb on the rudderstick and deflect to the right about a quarter inch during throw. Mostly works....

I'm having more trouble getting a nice glide trim, float dialed in. Seems to be a very narrow range of one click either way. Any wind makes it really tough.
Jul 04, 2015, 02:56 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Quote:
quite likely, esp. w.r.t. left bank on launch [note: the right wing will go faster when thrown right-handed into a tight left launch-circle] >
Hey Lee what is that little yellow ultralight micro in the pictures. The blurry one?
Jul 04, 2015, 04:52 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Quote:
Are you supposed to be launching in a "tight left launch-circle"? I thought the objective was to have straightened out at the end of your throw and be basically aiming straight for the horizon. Not so?

That's why I have more success with a Frisbee (backhand)launch than with my awkaward, unskilled discus (forehand) launch, I think. I know how to straighten out my frisbee launch and throw it at the horizon, while with the forehand launch I'm following through in a circular motion. Ad a result it climbs knife-edge style, and may not have time to recover level flight. I'm considering this to be launch error.
Jul 04, 2015, 07:09 PM
I think a true discus launch involves rotation. Except in darts, most throwing motions, even a backhand Frisbee launch involves rotation. Of course the thrown object will leave on a tangent to the circle. But the plane will still retain angular momerntum from the initial rotation.

Carefully pushing a plane linearly forward like a good dart throw will not have such stored angular momentum. I suppose one is "supposed" to get a smooth launch, and rudder offset on launch seems to be a preferred solution. Everyone has their own throwing style, there are many videos posted on those subject, but my general technique is to allow a plane to stabilize itself and "help" it do so the best I can. I think Rewinged's tips are great!
Jul 04, 2015, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
Hey Lee what is that little yellow ultralight micro in the pictures. The blurry one?
1. I thought I'd answered that in Post #1517

2. I also thought most of the pics were blurry; at this moment my heat-waved brain is even more blurry
Jul 05, 2015, 11:43 AM
HX4
HX4
UAS: FA33XLR7CL

Launch tips from a newbie's experience.

Trying to develop the same throw motion for launching all the "discus" gliders. Except the WhipIt has no full body rotations. Just uncoiling the over twisted upper body for "hard" throws. Found that thumb under works the best for me. Reduces the chance of inward rotation of the wrist which can result in a banked launch. Release point low when the hand reaches the hip with a follow through more or less pointing to where the glider is at the highest point of launch. No rudder trim. Variable elevator trim on the Whipit depending on wind strength.

Follow through ends up with the hand palm down. Thumb on top combined with a late release at least for me results in a banked launch. Thumb on bottom reduces the bank or eliminates it when released late. Late release seem to due to a "death" grip on the gliders. Smooth is better than hard. It's not how hard you through, but more like how elastic and smooth the whip motion is. The Whipit is so light throwing hard doesn't really yield a proportional gain in altitude.
Jul 05, 2015, 01:13 PM
V3, for getting good glide, try moving your battery fore and aft while your elevator is pretty much neutral.

Quick Reply