This thread is privately moderated by mike_kelly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 27, 2015, 05:52 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Discussion

The Perfect Tarot Travel Case for 650 Sport 680 680PRO 690

>>> Feel free to post your Tarot travel case solution as a comment at the end of this blog post <<<

Now that I have my Tarot built I need a travel case. The aluminum ones from Asia are way too expensive for me and the Pelican cases are worse. After looking and following other posts I finally came upon the Plano 114400 Bow Case.

This case is 41"x17" x7" which is enough room for the Tarot 650i 650s 680 680 Pro and 690 even with extended arms. It is lockable and has room for my gimbal too.

It comes with a thin layer of pluck foam so I plan to put a layer of solid foam underneath the pluck foam.

It is not a perfectly rigid case like the Pelcan cases. It flexes a bit and it is definitely a cheaper build quality but it is lighter and a lot less expensive.

I got mine off Amazon for $75 shipped.
Last edited by mike_kelly; Jan 27, 2015 at 06:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2015, 02:02 PM
Sweet! I just bought a 680pro from a fellow member and needed this. Thank you very much for posting.
Jan 28, 2015, 02:46 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jletend View Post
Sweet! I just bought a 680pro from a fellow member and needed this. Thank you very much for posting.
Congratulations on your new 680Pro!
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
Mar 14, 2015, 12:12 PM
Mike,

Would you feel comfortable the Tarot would not be damaged if traveling and flying on an airline?

Thanks...

--

Bill
Apr 24, 2015, 12:55 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Yes, by adding another layer of foam. The case comes with a thin layer of pluck foam but I would add a layer of solid foam under and over the pluck foam.

Cheers
Nov 23, 2015, 10:23 AM

How do you remove your gimbal?

What method do you use for taking your gimbal on and off?

I'm trying to find an elegant solution.
Nov 23, 2015, 11:44 AM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by smocksam View Post
What method do you use for taking your gimbal on and off?

I'm trying to find an elegant solution.
That is a good question and one that is not addressed by vendors. It is really important tho. I find gimbals to be really delicate to balance and tune and that last thing I want is to mess it up everytime I have to remove the gimbal. I have been looking for a real quick release that locks in solid everytime I reinstall but have not found it.

My jury rig, so far, is to use the tarot mounting hangers. I remove the screw from one leg, that allows me to rotate one of the mounting clips off the rails/tubes they mount on. Then I can twist the second one off the rails by just rotating it parallel. But it is still a crap shoot getting it mounted back in exactly the same place to maintain the balance of the whole craft and gimbal combo.

The trick is making something that works but doesn't weight a ton.

The picture below is not my gimbal but it shows how the gimbal clips work and they snap onto 10mm carbon tubes mounted under your multirotor. With two screws in each clip they can't move but if you remove one, that clip can rotate etc etc.
Jun 24, 2016, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly View Post
That is a good question and one that is not addressed by vendors. It is really important tho. I find gimbals to be really delicate to balance and tune and that last thing I want is to mess it up everytime I have to remove the gimbal. I have been looking for a real quick release that locks in solid everytime I reinstall but have not found it.

My jury rig, so far, is to use the tarot mounting hangers. I remove the screw from one leg, that allows me to rotate one of the mounting clips off the rails/tubes they mount on. Then I can twist the second one off the rails by just rotating it parallel. But it is still a crap shoot getting it mounted back in exactly the same place to maintain the balance of the whole craft and gimbal combo.

The trick is making something that works but doesn't weight a ton.

The picture below is not my gimbal but it shows how the gimbal clips work and they snap onto 10mm carbon tubes mounted under your multirotor. With two screws in each clip they can't move but if you remove one, that clip can rotate etc etc.
Not sure if your still doing this, but with mine, I made a plate for a gopro clip, and screwed that to the frame, and then the other side of the clip screwed into the gimble. Works perfectly, no slack or anything from the clip. Let me know if you would like photos
Jun 25, 2016, 05:57 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_b_10 View Post
Not sure if your still doing this, but with mine, I made a plate for a gopro clip, and screwed that to the frame, and then the other side of the clip screwed into the gimble. Works perfectly, no slack or anything from the clip. Let me know if you would like photos
I have considered it but you must be able to access the clip tucked under the bigger multirotors.

Quick Reply