catching thermals with beeps-vario with tones - RC Groups
Jan 27, 2015, 11:54 AM
Discussion

catching thermals with beeps-vario with tones

what's your experience with vario to catch thermals?
what kind of equipment you have used? cost?
radio, airborne equipment, whatever.
thanks
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 14, 2015 at 08:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2015, 01:39 PM
DS will change your life
RC glider Arthobby Odyssey 2,7 meter glider
DX8+Vspeak, + TM1000 telemetri+altimeter in the glider
And headphones from a cellphone.

I have the same setup in my 3,2 meter F3b Trinitus and a Phoenix 2000

And I have set it to tell the height every 10 sec.

Works great.

No need for vario in low level flying, but real great when the glider is in good altitude where you have problem to see if the glider is sinking or climbing.

It can also be set to give tone when sinking, but I like just the lift tone..

RC glider, Vspeak variometer demo. (5 min 25 sec)

Cheers
Soren
Jan 27, 2015, 03:43 PM

great data

great! thank you very much.
just the kind of data that many will find of great use.
regards
Jan 27, 2015, 05:19 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Taranis... FrSky Vario...

I personally tried the vario, but it drove me nuts (further). 90 percent of the thermals I fly in barely register as being in lift on the Vario with stock settings AND I found the beeping very annoying.

I find that the altitude telemetry (reading out height) in 2 sec increments on a switch (to shut off when sound not wanted) is far more useful for confirming I am in lift (at reasonable attitude > ~50M) once I believe I have hooked a thermal. Below ~50M, I just use my vision.

Scott
Jan 28, 2015, 03:02 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Spektrum DX9 with Vario. Sensitivity is adjustable from the Tx. I have sink tones shut off and only "listen" for rising air. I have altitude report on switch as well as RAM3 data logger.

Piper J3
Jan 28, 2015, 05:30 AM

1 more for the road

have any1 heard of this: http://www.wireless-copilot.com/down...Variometer.pdf

is close to what Scott says here in post 4: " I find that the altitude telemetry (reading out height) in 2 sec increments on a switch (to shut off when sound not wanted) is far more useful for confirming I am in lift (at reasonable attitude > ~50M) once I believe I have hooked a thermal. Below ~50M, I just use my vision. "
Scott

sounds interesting, but would like to hear from any others here.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 01, 2015 at 02:51 PM.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 PM
I use a Winged Shadow Systems "Thermal Scout"(no longer available) hooked to a $15 baby monitory from Walmart. I like it a lot, but probably has more lag time than a more expensive system.

I find it useful when thermals are light or small, usually at lower altitude.

But I think the most important reason to have a vario is when the sailplane is real high and you need to know if it is going up or down.

Craig
Jan 28, 2015, 12:20 PM

thermal scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr
I use a Winged Shadow Systems "Thermal Scout"(no longer available) hooked to a $15 baby monitory from Walmart. I like it a lot, but probably has more lag time than a more expensive system.

I find it useful when thermals are light or small, usually at lower altitude.

But I think the most important reason to have a vario is when the sailplane is real high and you need to know if it is going up or down.

Craig
you know, i also have a scout, and was thinking of using it with a 9xr pro, that has voice, so i could have vario with tones. and also think that vario is at its best when the plane is high and you can't see if it is climbing or sinking.
and please tell more about that baby monitory. how you connect it, whatever details you can throw.
regards
Jan 28, 2015, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez
you know, i also have a scout, and was thinking of using it with a 9xr pro, that has voice, so i could have vario with tones. and also think that vario is at its best when the plane is high and you can't see if it is climbing or sinking.
and please tell more about that baby monitory. how you connect it, whatever details you can throw.
regards
This setup is described in detail by Joe Petro, the designer. It is an easy set up and the Tx baby monitor is cheap and light weight. I clip the Rx baby monitor to my belt.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2000698

Craig
Jan 28, 2015, 08:40 PM
I just started flying the JR TLS1 - VRO variometer with my XG11 transmitter. The vario is small, 37 mm X 10 mm, and nearly weightless. It plugs directly into the TM port on my JR RG831B receiver. Rather than use a Y-cable I plug the battery into a spare RX channel.

The TX itself has a Telemetry menu and the variometer is selected there. There are 4 levels of alarms for rising air and one for sink. Any or all can be selected or inhibited and each alarm level can be individually set in 0.1 m/sec increments (about 20 ft per min). There are options for selecting which switch to use to turn the vario output on or off.

The alarms for rising air are beeps which change in frequency (faster beeps mean more lift all the way up to a steady tone). Unlike a full scale sailplane vario in which both the frequency and pitch of the beeps changes with lift, the pitch of the JR vario does not change with rising air. The beeps are not unpleasantly loud.

In use you learn very quickly how to differentiate levels of lift, it seems almost instinctive. After only a couple of flights the vario seems a very natural tool to use to look for lift and maximize its use when you find it. Now I have to fight against becoming too dependent on it! In addition to finding lift the vario is also useful for controlling it. On one flight, having climbed as high as I was comfortable, I was still getting rising air beeps. I began to drop the flaps, one click at a time, and the lift signals slowly died off. At zero lift I added a couple more clicks of flap and slowly descended

The vario can become annoying at times and when it does I just switch it off. The only other feature I wish I had is a headphone jack on the TX so I could fly without the vario beeps bothering other pilots. Maybe Horizon will offer a TX mod some day that adds that feature.

lc
Jan 28, 2015, 10:45 PM

where?

for the JR TLS1 - VRO variometer:
can you provide the link?
thanks
Jan 28, 2015, 10:46 PM

no tx w/telem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr
This setup is described in detail by Joe Petro, the designer. It is an easy set up and the Tx baby monitor is cheap and light weight. I clip the Rx baby monitor to my belt.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2000698

Craig
i guess this does not need a tx with telemetry and voice, right?
Jan 28, 2015, 10:59 PM
Hi Phil,

Here's the link to the JR Variometer from the Horizon Hobby site:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/radios/t...ensor-jrp03447

lc
Jan 29, 2015, 07:53 AM

link

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftchaser
Hi Phil,

Here's the link to the JR Variometer from the Horizon Hobby site:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/radios/t...ensor-jrp03447

lc
thanks. i guess it does not work with 9xr pro, which is what i want to use.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez
i guess this does not need a tx with telemetry and voice, right?
Phil:

The vario is wired to the Tx of the baby monitor and gets power from the receiver(draws very low amps).
The Tx of baby monitor transmits beeping sounds to the Rx of the baby monitor on the ground.
The output are beeps that vary in tone and speed.

So, the vario inputs the signal to the baby monitor Tx which transmits tones to the Rx baby monitor on the ground.

Craig

Quick Reply