Jan 24, 2015, 04:09 PM
Pole Crasher
Thread OP
Discussion

Top Flite F4U Corsair 60 Kit (Gold Edition)

Hi there,

I recently bought that kit, and it will be my first one. I plan on doing an electric build with retracts, flaps etc.

As this seems to be an older kit, forum threads with e.g. electric conversion are hard resp. unable to find.

Do you have any resources?

I specifically need information about the power setup (motor size, LiPo cells/mah, flight duration, which _exact_ retracts from e.g. Du Bro you're using).

Let's revive that bird!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2015, 06:40 PM
I built a nitro with a 2 stroke 60 back in the day. I used the Robart pump up retracts that were very weak and folded even on the smoothest landings on asphalt. On my first flight I tipp stalled about 20 feet up and made a mess of the plane. After the 1st rebuild I set both the ailerons up 1/8" and that gave the plane a very stable flight performance. A must do in my opinion it converted the 9 lb. plane from a beast into a pussycat but I never had any luck with the retracts I think they were special 110 degree rotating one built for that kit by Robart. Hopefully there is a better alternative for you. I am not sure on the power for electric but the inside was very cramped in the fuse . So plan ahead for 1,000 watts min. And a big battery!
Good luck on your build try to keep it lite and by all means build the flaps. Also the elevator is very sensitive and I found not much was needed to fly , anouther way to keep it from stalling is not to use to much elevator.
Respectfully J.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:11 PM
Gravity sucks.
Thats a fairly complicated kit for the first build.
Warbirds like 100+ watts per pound of power.
Flaps will really complicate the build and in my opinion aren't required anyway.
Build light.
Jan 25, 2015, 06:43 AM
Pole Crasher
Thread OP
Yeah I know it's not the easiest for the start. But I'll take my time and hope it goes well. Thanks for your input about power requirements!

I can now search for matching motor/ESC combinations. Would you recommend to use a separate battery for the receiver and ESC? I just ask because this will be my biggest plane, usually I fly smaller ones in the 1.0-1.2 meter range. This one will be way more expensive than what I've flown until now.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:13 AM
Gravity sucks.
There are several way to go about it. Depending on power usage, you can sometimes use the BEC in the ESC. You can also run a seperate BEC, such as a Castle unit. Yet another way is to use a separate receiver pack...

I suggest removing some of the heavy plywood in areas it's not needed. Keep the landing gear, firewall, and wing mount beefy.

Run some numbers on motors, and figure that finished ship RTF to weigh with the glow one calls for...7-9.5 lbs. So, at 100w+/lb, 700 to 950 watts.
Eflite Power 52 to Power 60 would give you PLENTY of power. The 60 would be overkill, imho. Power 52 if you build light, Power 60 if you build heavy.

As to the flaps, they add weight and complexity. If you cut out the weight, you don't need the flaps, its a catch 22. My super clipped wing Tucker Kingcobra does not have flaps, and has a 32 ounce wing loading. It simply requires a longer , flatter approach.
The TF birds fly very well, but you cannot build to crash, you have to build to fly. Build as light as possible. Replace heavy woods, leave out the super details stuff you can't see in the air, and build her to fly....
Jan 25, 2015, 12:22 PM
7-9 1/2lb is unrealistic, 11-12 lbs with retracts, power systems. It will still fly well at these weights. Scorpion 4025-12 with a 15/8/3 blade EMP prop will deliver 1450w @58A on 6S/5000/30c battery. I highly recommend the Turnigy Plush 80A esc for the motor and the Megabec8 for a Bec unit (2S only 1500/20c). The Plush and Megabec are thru Hobby King, the Scorpion from Innov8tive Designs. You will need the battery as far forward as possible, so a motor box that allows the battery to sit right against the motor mounts will be needed. A top hatch will be needed to R/R the batteries, That makes this a major project. It can be done for sure!! If you have some tools and te patience, you'll end up with a nice warbird. fwiw Doug B
Jan 25, 2015, 01:48 PM
Gravity sucks.
:O 11-12 lbs???? That's a BRICK. It's 62" span, 700 sq. I could build that to 7 to 8 lbs RTF. Dump the heavy junk, huge batteries, flaps, heavy tires, plywood....
If you don't build a brick, you won't need 1400 watts....and large batteries. Light flies right. Don't need a top hatch, IMHO. You could either slide batteries in from front, or you can use an Arming Plug and remove the wing for batteries.

AGAIN, LIGHT FLIES RIGHT.

If you go 12 lbs that's a 39 oz sq ft wing loading...certainly nothing I want to fly, and I've been flying almost 40 years....
Jan 25, 2015, 03:20 PM
Scale Builder
To build the TF Corsair in the 7-9.5 pound range I'm pretty confident, having built one myself and flown half a dozen others, that you will need to throw away pretty much everything that comes in the TF box. Just my .02 cents of course.
Jan 25, 2015, 04:43 PM
Gravity sucks.
They probably don't give you good wood, but dropping most ply, drilling lightening holes, light radio,battery,gear and doculam covering would get it down. People are just too used to throwing more power at the problem.
There's always ways to save weight, ask Lotus
Battery and motor are the easiest places to save. Its easy to cut a gram here and an ounce there rather than 3 pounds from one spot though...
Jan 28, 2015, 11:19 AM
Pole Crasher
Thread OP
Thanks for all your thoughts!

Well I'm not going to throw away the box balsa and I absolutely want flaps and retractable landing gear, it's a Corsair So i'll go for lightening holes and lightweight covering (Oracover?).

The Eflite Power 60 sounds like my choice then, because for a first-timer, I'm surely unable to get it as light as you all.

@ Doug Bartley, could you post a picture of the battery bay? I'd hate to remove the wing for a battery swap. Already have it on a PT-19 and for me personally it's not the solution I want.
Mar 13, 2015, 06:37 PM
I'm actually doing the exact same build (TF Corsair kit w/ electric power) and it shouldn't be too big a problem at 10lbs...I just finished a TF Spitfire kit with electric power and it flies well at 10lbs even. Granted the Spitfire kit is a newer design and probably incorporates some weight saving buildings techniques I managed to keep it at its current AUW despite fiberglassing the wings, using resin to seal the rest of the plane, and with a 1.20 rimfire motor + eflite metal retracts. So keeping the corsair at 10 to 11 lbs shouldn't be a huge problem.
Good luck with your build weeheavy, I'll post back if/when this corsair takes flight.
Jun 12, 2019, 11:22 AM

Horizon Hobby Disappointment

I know this is an old thread, but I recently picked up a TF GE .60 Corsair at Perry GA. It has fixed landing gear and I have retracts to change over.
I'm looking for a copy of the assembly/build manual. Horizon has taken down all the sites that had good info and when I contacted them via online tech spt all I got was their generic bankruptcy jibberish basically saying you're on your own.
They surely could not have destroyed all of the info from Topflite.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks Jon
Jun 13, 2019, 01:24 AM
What the he'll I was just on the old website like last week

Is this it
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Y9V1G9_id91tj8
Jun 23, 2019, 11:21 PM

Manual

Here ya go.... I have it saved on 3 different devices plus the original hard copy. I'm not sure why it's not on the site any longer.

Bill
Last edited by BZip; Jun 26, 2019 at 08:30 PM.
Jun 24, 2019, 05:54 AM
Thank you to all for the help. I'm well on the way to the conversion.

Quick Reply