Millenium Falcon, Tie Interceptor, Despicable Bomber, and other Quad-foamies - Page 6 - RC Groups
Feb 12, 2015, 08:58 AM
Wooooo! grats man.
Looking good.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2015, 09:02 AM
Since 1902. Maybe.
Thanks !

@FunN4Lo :
At some point I was thinking of adapting to the F450 instead, but then I made a quick sketch and realized it would be huge, so I stayed on the 335 as host, but anyway I only have 1 radio now.
Feb 12, 2015, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C
Thanks !
Very cool projects, man! It's also very cool to see friends of mine who don't otherwise show a lot of multirotor interest sharing your Millenium Falcon build from all over the interwebz. Much better publicity than crashes at the white house, or near misses with full scales... Keep up the awesomely entertaining 'work'!
Last edited by homeslice976; Feb 12, 2015 at 03:36 PM.
Feb 12, 2015, 08:50 PM
Free fall is not free
It's absolutely amazing how many different places, tech blogs, and email subscriptions, etc where I keep reading about the Falcon build.
Feb 13, 2015, 01:25 AM
Keep up the good work
Feb 13, 2015, 07:59 AM
Even in China the Falcon is famous. Banggood put this on their Facebook-page...
Feb 13, 2015, 12:44 PM
Watch for the kit soon! But instead of "Millennium Falcon" it will be "Century Peregrine" to avoid the Disney lawyers.
Feb 13, 2015, 03:57 PM
Since 1902. Maybe.
I received a lot of offers for manufacturing, and to all I replied if they want to make merchandising in Disney's back, they can go, but without me
Feb 16, 2015, 03:02 PM
Since 1902. Maybe.
Crafted a basic thruster, not looking awesome, but I really have to save weight.

Presented to you by Kevin, say hi to Kevin !

Some details in Depron 3 and 6mm :

4 blasters !
Made of 6mm carbon tubes, may act as front bumpers.
And some 3mm carbons to strengthen the panels.
I had to put these 2 carbons underneath so i would rest horizontal and not fall on its face.

First color of paint, and my "3rd son", always with me.

Painted with a brush this time, not with the air compressor.
Makes a basic weathering.

The whole FLEET !
Of two.

And more tests in the garage, this one is much harder to fly than the Falcon.

Now waiting for good weather and a spare time slot for a first flight outdoor.
Made a tri-blade from a HQProp 10x6x3, removed the tips, so now that's a 8x6x3.
Need the maximum airflow in a 8" diameter, got no idea if it's going to be better or worse.

Last edited by Olivier_C; Feb 16, 2015 at 03:16 PM.
Feb 16, 2015, 03:08 PM
HighFlyGuy
The Force is strong with this one!!
Feb 17, 2015, 02:44 PM
Soontir Fel's glass cannon kill marks, if you should choose to finish it off this way.
Feb 20, 2015, 05:56 AM
Since 1902. Maybe.
The rebel scums won the first battle, but war isn't over yet !
Back to Sienar docks for repairs and refitting

I think I narrowed the source of the overall instability, that's the airflow from the props hitting the 2 bottom panels, even if mostly out of the way now in reduced size, it's still enough to cause chaos. When the quad is hovering it's fine and stable, but as soon as there's angle it changes the force against these 2 panels and that's driving the flight controller crazy.

So the plan is to cut down the panels and reglue at a different angle, slightly outward, by about 5, so the airflow is free of obstacles.

Crap screen capture of the test flights, was very dark and the Gopro struggling.

Nasty blaster impact of the right side !

Removing the panels, and recutting :

That's a lot of foam and glue removed, I gained 50gr in the process.

While I'm there I'm also removing 5mm in thickness from the front arms, less weight.

Cleaned, trimmed, and re-glued :

Will put back the blasters and paint corrections once I'm sure it's flying well

Feb 21, 2015, 02:56 PM
Free fall is not free
Oliver,
This came up in one of the side vids while checking one of your vids out. Another idea if you run out of "foamspiration"

Flying Time Machine from the movie "Back to the Future" (2 min 11 sec)
Feb 22, 2015, 01:06 AM
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunN4Lo
Oliver,
This came up in one of the side vids while checking one of your vids out. Another idea if you run out of "foamspiration"

http://youtu.be/eA4U-6GmkUw
+1 For the Back to the future Delorean I still need to build your 335 quad I have most of the parts, but the weather here is just to good to pass up flying. And no I am NOT rubbing it in. OK maybe a little
Feb 22, 2015, 01:21 AM
Since 1902. Maybe.
I knew this Delorean, does not seem like a bad flier, considering these small props.
I think the props spaced wide apart is a plus.

If I had to make a frame for the sole purpose of carrying foam shells, I'd stick with my actual 8" and MT2208, but I'd space the props more.

This morning I'm waiting for a clear in the weather to fly the modified Tie interceptor, and then I'll complete and paint the Minions Mobile