Feb 15, 2015, 05:39 PM
RC is great fun!
Looks great! What power system do you have on that?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2015, 05:46 PM
Please post the parts to power train as soon as you are satisfied it is a good match.

I've wanted a twin for sometime.

This has a really nice look to it.
Feb 15, 2015, 06:09 PM
Thread OP
Motors are Turnigy Aerodrive 2830/11, 1000kv. 25 amp ESC, 3 or 4 cell 2200 mah 20c packs. Running 8x4 props, so under-propped a little to keep the current draw down. I've been using this setup on an FT Cruiser that weighed 2.2 lbs, and the OV-10 is at 2 lbs RTF. The FT Cruiser would almost hover on 3s, so theoretically this set up should have plenty of power for any ~2 lb 40"-50" aircraft I think.

Here's a link to my FT Cruiser on same exact set up. Keep in mind I don't think i ever went over 60% throttle!

FT Cruiser/DH88 Comet maiden flight (1 min 11 sec)
Feb 19, 2015, 06:59 AM
Thread OP
It flies! I'm very happy with the characteristics too. Check it out.. (sorry for the dark video, but I gotta fly when I can...)

OV-10 Bronco FT Style maiden flight (3 min 40 sec)
Last edited by stape; Feb 19, 2015 at 07:12 AM.
Feb 21, 2015, 01:58 AM
Malcolm M.
Flies great!!! Very cool.
Feb 21, 2015, 08:20 AM
Thread OP
Thanks!
Feb 21, 2015, 12:18 PM
Looks awesome in the air! Great job.
Jul 26, 2015, 03:20 PM
hi stape
just found the flite test and wow i can see the ov-10 bronco is so cool.
well don, any more flying videos
will
Jul 31, 2015, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
Hi Will,

I don't have any more videos right now, I pulled the engines to put in another plane. It was a great flying plane though. I'm thinking I'm going to do another one, maybe in a smaller size with elevator and aileron only. That's still on the drawing board.
Aug 06, 2015, 04:07 PM
Wizard of Prangs
I really like what you have done there. I would like to build a closer-to-scale Bronco at some point, but with other projects in the queue, that's probably a few years off. But I like flying too and there's no reason not to have one of these NOW! Looks very Bronco in the air IMO.

Checked out the plan and was interested to see what you had been able to do with Sketch-up. I scratch-built a semi-profile Thunderchief recently and I'd like to have a go at making a plan from it.

All the best

Alec
Aug 06, 2015, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Alec! I am actually about to build another one myself! I would make two modifications on this next one:

1. I'm going to skip putting real rudders and just use differential thrust. Pretty easy with computer radios these days.

2. The fuselage needs a single bulkhead somewhere around the LE of the wing saddle area.

That said, I've been thinking about updating the fuselage to be a little more scale. In the process I can put a taper in it, which will give the fuse more rigidity. Also, if you are so inclined it would be easy to sand some 3/4" foam pieces to give the cockpit a bubble look. Just thoughts I've had.

I'd also love to have landing gear. Retracts especially, but that would really complicate the design! One step at a time...
Sep 12, 2016, 06:18 PM
I'm trying to build an FT Bronco. I have the wing, tail booms and tail all glued together. There build video doesn't show anything past what I have done. Does the FT explorer middle pod work on the FT Bronco? Where can I find the rest of the video showing the pod build and attachment method and also the wiring. I kind of like the dual wheels I saw on some of them. Where is that? RCNutt
May 22, 2020, 10:55 PM
really looking forward to this plane, it is actually my favorite

Quick Reply