This thread is privately moderated by Pat Lynch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 22, 2015, 09:36 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Discussion

2015 - New year resolutions?

No, no resolutions - I never follow them through anyway
However, as I get a little older, I become a bit circumspect about what unfinished projects are still laying around the workshop and garage and realise some hard decisions need to be made (I've done this purging thing a few times before).
Because, building is my passion and flying less so, there isn't a clear-cut goal of 'hurry up and get it built so I can fly it' In fact it is often 'this is building too quickly - and I like what I'm doing a lot'. The end result is many models started get to the interesting phase and then lose their appeal (for me). Sadly, this has happened to a couple of my models that were started some years ago and which have been cluttering up my limited storage space waiting their turn on the bench. As much as I try to convince myself that their turn will come, I know deep down that many other projects are in my sights and spending more time on the uninteresting old ones will not result in much satisfaction.
It must be said that ALL my unfinished models have given lots of building satisfaction and have left me with a better understanding of problem-solving, new techniques and generally greater modelling experience. So after all that self-indulgent waffle, what is being given the 'Cease and Desist' treatment.
My rather ambitious He-111 was built from old plans and could still be hacked into a reasonable model. The rather complex 'glass house' cockpit suffered a bit of damage in transit to our new house but storage in a rather unforgiving space in te un-insulated garage roof has opened up a few joints and really, I don't have the enthusiasm any more. The same applies to my lovely little Morane Saulnier AI - a scaled up Peter Rake plan. It is not going be flown and so will be de-equipped and can grace the roof space in all its strutty glory. The He-111 is destined for a new home.
So, having got that off my chest, where are we? Obviously my major project will continue to be the Avro Anson. As the biggest thing I've ever attempted (84") it will continue to be a start-stop affair but it is fun as long as it doesn't become a duty to finish and fly it. The slightly off-beat Brisfish will be a fill-in job when I feel the urge and Kay Bengston's 1/6 Camel is also due to get some more attention.

So, are there no more projects on the bucket list? Of course their are But they may be a bit smaller than I'd been anticipating. 1/4 scale models cant be produced at the same rate as the smaller machines so some more Polikarpov PO-2 size models may be in the offing..........who knows what 2015 may bring. Bloody hell, it's almost February

Pat
Latest blog entry: 2019 Already.....
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply