Oct 29, 2020, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviti
Iíll probably use the stock servos and regulate the voltage to the entire landing gear system and NWS. Then run full 2S voltage to HV servos for the control surfaces. Thanks for the help!
That's exactly what I did

I also converted mine to a turbine (K45) and changed the struts/added brakes.
It's a really good flyer, you'll like it.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2020, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushong572
That's exactly what I did

I also converted mine to a turbine (K45) and changed the struts/added brakes.
It's a really good flyer, you'll like it.
Very nice. Iím getting the same scheme. Senate USA says the container arrived but just needs to clear customs. Hopefully they will be shipping very soon.

Iím curious, why did you change the struts? I was planning on just adding the JP 50mm brakes.

Iím asking a lot of questions that may not be necessary after I get the kit.
Oct 29, 2020, 05:52 PM
In all fairness, my plane is on the heavy side being a turbine (9.9 lbs before fuel) I found the stock struts to be pretty weak. I bent mine twice on soft landings. They are made out of really soft aluminum. I heard they were going to change the struts. The pic below is the stock struts.
Oct 29, 2020, 05:55 PM
I thought they were pretty cheap on a plane of this caliber. The pivot point is the weak spot. New Jet 1-A struts below.
Oct 29, 2020, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushong572
I thought they were pretty cheap on a plane of this caliber. The pivot point is the weak spot. New Jet 1-A struts below.
I plan to go with a turbine also. Either Xicoy X45 or KT K45G3.

Which K45 do you have? The G3 is pretty light.
Oct 29, 2020, 08:19 PM
From your picture, you have the old version of struts. The new kit comes with new version. Most of the time, the weak leak is in the pin between the strut and the retract. It acts as fuse during hard landing in order to protect the wing, it bends or break. I keep spare of these just in case. The new version comes with softer springs which mounted inside the struts. That takes up shock loads during landing even better. I did not replace pin with this struts for a long time.

My oldest Mini Avanti once powered by K45G2, K45G3 and now has a X45 in it. Compare with the other 2, the K45G2 is a 76mm turbine, bigger and heavier but to an extent that is still very acceptable in a Mini Avanti. It runs reliably and basically trouble free.

The K45G3, has its idling rpm hence the idle thrust a bit on the high side, which I don't like it and it needs a little tuning at the beginning so it ended up being sold.

The X45 is very good in terms of its size, power, ease of use, reliability. In terms of reliability, I learnt the lesson that these small turbines(the X45 and K45G3) are very sensitive to the cleanness of fuel. (in this regard, my K45G2 is very accommodating), the injectors are very easily blocked by particles, debris, etc. Another note, if you want to run your turbine with diesel, I would recommend you the X45. A few guys here run their X45 on diesel for many flight hours with zero problem. Mine are on kerosene.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:01 PM
Quote:

I have a K45G2. I know it's heavier, but it runs so well I'll stick with it. I thought about replacing it with something lighter (a G3 or X45), but I know several people that have had problems with both. They seem to be very finicky. I run Jet A in all my turbines. I like how clean it burns. I'm glad to hear they have redesigned the struts. I didn't have a problem with the pins. The actual strut kept bending at the pivot point.
I never really wanted a turbine this small.....I was wrong. This thing is alot of fun.
Last edited by bushong572; Oct 29, 2020 at 09:18 PM.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:09 PM
Would someone post a pic of the new struts (nose and main)
I'd like to see the changes since I might buy another one some day.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:13 PM
Thanks for that additional info. I have been considering the K45G3 and the X45. I know several guys locally with the X45ís running in various Freewing foam conversions. They have been very happy although I did witness a flameout. I havenít hear what caused it but as with anything sometimes it happens.

I know the X45 is lighter and have read about its lower residual thrust than the K45 so Iíve been leaning towards the X45. Only downside is cost but I think based on the other factors it will be worth it.

Iím looking forward to flying my first turbine. Iíve been mainly a giant scale gas guy but bought a couple EDFs and really enjoyed them. I particularly love the way the Freewing Avanti flies so thatís why I went with the Mini Avanti for the first turbine.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:18 PM
Quote:

K45g3 and xicoy have been nothing but issues for me and lots of others at my field. I personally would go with the k45 g1 and g2. I had a G1 and it was rock solid.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by txshan130
K45g3 and xicoy have been nothing but issues for me and lots of others at my field. I personally would go with the k45 g1 and g2. I had a G1 and it was rock solid.
Thatís disappointing to hear. Like I mentioned, I did see an X45 flameout at my field. I was hoping that was an anomaly. I wonít be pulling the trigger on the turbine for a while with the weather getting bad so that give me more time to decide. What do you know about the K30? I heard itís the same weight as the K45G3. The 45ís are so much thrust that Iíve heard you canít go full power in level flight so perhaps the K30 is the way to go.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by txshan130
Can you elaborate on the K45g3 issues? Thanks.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:45 PM
Quote:
What do you know about the K30? I heard it’s the same weight as the K45G3. The 45’s are so much thrust that I’ve heard you can’t go full power in level flight so perhaps the K30 is the way to go.
I got an early K30 two years ago and am just now sending it in for the 25 hour service (over 180 flights). I burned out two glow plugs early on (warranty replacements sent quickly) but no other problems. I'm pretty sure they upgraded the glow plugs and my current plug is over 120 flights/starts.

My K45g3 has only a couple hours on it but no problems with it and it is the same size/weight as the K30.

I recommend the K45g3 unless you're getting a deal on a used K30. You can easily use less throttle but it will give you more air frame options if you want something else in the future.
Use JetA only and 5% kingtech oil - these two are not able to burn diesel.
Oct 29, 2020, 10:08 PM
Instagram: @tcat.rc.creations
Quote:
Thanks for that additional info. I have been considering the K45G3 and the X45. I know several guys locally with the X45’s running in various Freewing foam conversions. They have been very happy although I did witness a flameout. I haven’t hear what caused it but as with anything sometimes it happens.

I know the X45 is lighter and have read about its lower residual thrust than the K45 so I’ve been leaning towards the X45. Only downside is cost but I think based on the other factors it will be worth it.

I’m looking forward to flying my first turbine. I’ve been mainly a giant scale gas guy but bought a couple EDFs and really enjoyed them. I particularly love the way the Freewing Avanti flies so that’s why I went with the Mini Avanti for the first turbine.
A few notes to keep it mind, if you plan to get your AMA Turbine Waiver then the Mini Avanti does not qualify to be used as the aircraft of choice for your waiver flights since it won’t achieve the minimum dry aircraft weight. As for some difference between the Kingtech K30 and K45G3, and Xicoy X45, those particular Kingtech’s are not to be used with Diesel (as pmanning also stated), whereas the X45 manual says Diesel can be used. That may not matter to some, but it depends upon whether someone can easily get Kerosene or other fuel. In California, it’s easier to get Diesel, so the X45 was an obvious choice (although other factors came into play as well). Many people enjoy both, but there are a few dedicated threads that should help you decide on which to purchase depending upon what attributes are important to you.
Oct 29, 2020, 10:29 PM
caliber90, could you post a picture of these new version struts you speak of?

" The new version comes with softer springs which mounted inside the struts".

Quick Reply