Feb 15, 2017, 10:58 AM
Is it suppose to do that?
Hi Pepson

Well you are learning really well. I did not say much on your F6F build but it was fun to watch. Did you ever get to fly it?

I did not realize that Sketch up had such designing capabilities and all for free. I guess you make a .dxg file and load it into the CNC?

Thanks for sharing I really enjoy watching you create these parts it is obviously a love for you.

Sean
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2017, 05:10 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
As usual, a fantastic job!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Feb 17, 2017, 02:57 AM
Up side down
Thread OP
Sean,
to create dxf and load it to cnc is really far from reality. You have to create a model export it to 3ds or stp file fformat and load it into CAM program, then you can trace the model and create tool paths. This step is really tricky and it's very simple to make a bad result.
When you have the toolpaths you can load them to cnc... and then you can watch how bad work you did LOL. You break tool sometimes or damage the part you want to make..
I have to remake some parts twice or more than I get good result or I finished unsuccessful part as we say "by rasper interpolation" it means by my hand and rasper LOL
But recently I'm better and my results as well of course.
I'm happy for that.
Last edited by Pepson; Feb 17, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Feb 17, 2017, 07:15 AM
Is it suppose to do that?
Hi Pepson

I did not realize the process. You have to appreciate more the work you are putting into this project. For me it is a matter of time; just don't have that much of it to experiment. I have a 2D CAD program that I was able download as a college teacher, but lack the time time to learn it. Well I will have reap the benefits of your photographs.

I am excited that you chose the P-38. It was my Dad's favorite airplane - just an amazing flying machine.

Sean
Feb 17, 2017, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepson
Sean,
to create dxf and load it to cnc is really far from reality. You have to create a model export it to 3ds or stp file fformat and load it into CAM program, then you can trace the model and create tool paths. This step is really tricky and it's very simple to make a bad result.
When you have the toolpaths you can load them to cnc... and then you can watch how bad work you did LOL. You break tool sometimes or damage the part you want to make..
I have to remake some parts twice or more than I get good result or I finished unsuccessful part as we say "by rasper interpolation" it means by my hand and rasper LOL
I'm happy for that.
Did you try sketchucam: https://sketchucam.jimdo.com/

I haven't tried it myself but may eventually use it when I'll need to CNC or 3D print. I've made a lot of stuff in Sketchup loved it and still love it for easy use, but lately I find it too imperfect for complex 3D surfaces to be machined (leaves small unfilled triangles here and there, makes surface smoothing difficult, etc... I'm now looking at Onshape (free for hobbyists but public files), much better at handling non flat surfaces, but there doesn't seem to be free CAM stuff for it, although I haven't researched the subject fully.
I had reservations because I had made my own tool for creating exact wings in Sketchup from airfoil data files, but now there is such a tool (or at least good for airfoils if not complete wings) in onshape, that imports from data files. I haven't tried it yet but it shows promises.
Onshape though is much better for creating assemblies with motion.
In general its interface is not as intuitive as Sketchup but I guess it's a matter of getting used to it.

Just for info.
Feb 27, 2017, 02:56 PM
Up side down
Thread OP
Thanks for your post it's very inspirative.
I have to say I use Sketchup for 4 years and I'm really happy with this simple software.
Yes, there are some limits but it's still enough for my models.
I have no problems with 3D surfaces because I know how to make a correct model.
Some models could be tricky due to size (too small models has usualy unfilled triangels) but it's possible to fix it and make model correct.
If I want to change Sketchup to different software I'd chose only SolidWorks with SolidCam but it's about money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V
Did you try sketchucam: https://sketchucam.jimdo.com/

I haven't tried it myself but may eventually use it when I'll need to CNC or 3D print. I've made a lot of stuff in Sketchup loved it and still love it for easy use, but lately I find it too imperfect for complex 3D surfaces to be machined (leaves small unfilled triangles here and there, makes surface smoothing difficult, etc... I'm now looking at Onshape (free for hobbyists but public files), much better at handling non flat surfaces, but there doesn't seem to be free CAM stuff for it, although I haven't researched the subject fully.
I had reservations because I had made my own tool for creating exact wings in Sketchup from airfoil data files, but now there is such a tool (or at least good for airfoils if not complete wings) in onshape, that imports from data files. I haven't tried it yet but it shows promises.
Onshape though is much better for creating assemblies with motion.
In general its interface is not as intuitive as Sketchup but I guess it's a matter of getting used to it.

Just for info.
Feb 27, 2017, 03:03 PM
Up side down
Thread OP

Landing Gear

well, the story continues...
Apr 20, 2017, 02:13 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
Hi Pepson. What CNC mill do you have? How do you like it?
Apr 20, 2017, 02:56 PM
Up side down
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbomber
Hi Pepson. What CNC mill do you have? How do you like it?

hey,

The CNC mill is my friend's construction.
We built it together for me year ago.
I love this machine because it really helps me with parts creation.
Apr 20, 2017, 09:53 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
Quote:
We built it together for me year ago.
Very cool. You do the highest quality of work. Congratulations.

Next time you are taking pictures near your mill, would you mind snapping a few pics of the machine? I'd love to see it.
Apr 21, 2017, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Sean,
I'm happy for that.

Hi Pepson, your work and patience is OUTSTANDING !

Have you looked at Fusion 360 ?
It has full 3D capability with animation and a CAM program with tool path preview.
Best of all it's FREE !

Check it out here : http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview
Apr 21, 2017, 01:57 PM
Up side down
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbomber
Very cool. You do the highest quality of work. Congratulations.

Next time you are taking pictures near your mill, would you mind snapping a few pics of the machine? I'd love to see it.
Thanks for complements.

Here you are the pics of my magic machine, enjoy.

Josef
Apr 21, 2017, 02:16 PM
Up side down
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumo004
Hi Pepson, your work and patience is OUTSTANDING !

Have you looked at Fusion 360 ?
It has full 3D capability with animation and a CAM program with tool path preview.
Best of all it's FREE !

Check it out here : http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

Hey, thanks for post
I know the Fusion, but here are a few things.
1. I'm working in Sketchup and I have complete model of the plane there. The model are not compatible with the Fusion. NO way to remodel it to fusinon or 123d CAD.
2.The Fusion is free but it's comlete cloud system and you must put your projects someware to cloud - NO THANKS! My projcts are mine!
3.The Fusion is only 3 axis CAM system ..but I have 3 axis CAM why should I change it?

well maybe next time...
Last edited by Pepson; Jun 21, 2017 at 01:42 AM.
Apr 22, 2017, 01:58 AM
What CAM program do you use?
Apr 22, 2017, 01:00 PM
Up side down
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Piett14
What CAM program do you use?

Aspire

Quick Reply