Nov 07, 2019, 01:28 PM
cmd
cmd
I put 1 ounce in the tail, flew, then increased this to 1.3 ounces. The CG is now 123mm back from the wing leading edge. It is still a bit too far forward. I'm going to put 1.5 ounces in tail and be done with it - goal is CG at 125 - 126mm.
I also increased the aileron throw.
This is a very nice flying aircraft. My only complaint is the landing gear wire is a bit weak. I can live with that.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2019, 10:19 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Was thinking of picking up one of these to support a growing interest in precision. But reading through the thread I see people having problems landing on grass...the technique required being keep at some speed during touchdown. Most of my current planes can approach dead stick and flop onto the grass, undamaged.

My problem is not learning the new technique but that I fly on a grass soccer field surrounded by trees, fences and light poles. So I can't do a serious approach. Am I going to be replacing props daily?
Nov 26, 2019, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Was thinking of picking up one of these to support a growing interest in precision. But reading through the thread I see people having problems landing on grass...the technique required being keep at some speed during touchdown. Most of my current planes can approach dead stick and flop onto the grass, undamaged.

My problem is not learning the new technique but that I fly on a grass soccer field surrounded by trees, fences and light poles. So I can't do a serious approach. Am I going to be replacing props daily?
I fly on an undulating uphill grass field surrounded by trees and smaller then a soccer field. I also walked home, up hill, in a snow store, even in th summer.

I come in fast, no other way, falling to the field from the tree tops. Follow the ground cutting the throttle. Going to try some air breaks to secure it to the ground. Many anthills, etc. But the grass is rough, but short. . I have gone to a shorter prop with more pitch. Larger wheels that come thru the wheel pant top by 1/2 or so.
Nov 26, 2019, 11:31 PM
I also found that when landing that the swept back gear wasnt stiff enough to hold the plane up. I fixed this by removing the wheel pants and turning the gear through 180. Now the gear is pointing forward slightly and is more than strong enough to keep the plan up even under a less than perfect landing... Problem solved....
Nov 26, 2019, 11:38 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Yeah, that's a pretty common comment throughout the thread. I was also impressed with Snoking removing the LG and doing belly landings on grass -- successfully.
Jan 20, 2020, 08:57 AM
Explorer, T-28, Avanti - FrSky
Quote:

I am belly landing on grass without gear and have never lost a prop. I do long dead stick approaches. I am sure that if I had to, I could do two or three turns into a shorter approach.

I will say that on long approaches straight at you causes the Explorer to almost disappear in the sky because of it's skinny profile.

BTW, I repaint mine, painting over the green with red.

I launch it underhand letting it fly out of my hand. Post #168 has my final Prop/ESC info.

Chris
Last edited by snoking; Jan 20, 2020 at 11:35 PM.
Jan 20, 2020, 10:41 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I went with a similar but less expensive Skylark. But your paint job looks like a great improvement over factory. Nice work.
Jan 20, 2020, 11:48 PM
Quote:

So today I did a short approach landing with the Explorer bellied in on the grass. Did a slow leg away from me at low altitude to my right, did a leg across the short far side (West) end of the basin, and did a leg coming back up to my left, and made a 60 degree(aprox) turn and bellied it in at a short distance in front of me. Worked very well. I am gong to practice this more, as in worked well. I was able to put it down closer to me than I do on long approaches. Chris
Jan 24, 2020, 05:52 PM
Well I bragged to soon about not breaking props skidding in on grass. Today I broke off about 3/4" of the tip of the APC 11x7E prop.
Jan 24, 2020, 06:05 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Obviously controversial, but some have said you're better off setting the esc brake to minimize prop strike damage.

The argument is if the prop is rotating, it jams into the ground on a downstroke doing maximum damage. If stopped, it just gets pushed out of the way. ESC brakes don't stop the prop from being easily pushed to safety.
Jan 24, 2020, 06:05 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Obviously controversial, but some have said you're better off setting the esc brake to minimize prop strike damage.

The argument is if the prop is rotating, it jams into the ground on a downstroke doing maximum damage. If stopped, it just gets pushed out of the way. ESC brakes don't stop the prop from being easily pushed to safety.
Jan 25, 2020, 01:08 AM
The Other Side of Your Screen
Broke the prop on my Moray because the ESC had the brake set from the factory though it was not supposed to be. When the prop stops it stops, if you get lucky it stops in a 3 and 9 position, but to often it is between 11 and 1 on the top and 5 and 7 on the bottom, and when you land, the 5 through 7 will strike the ground, dig in and snap off or snap the plane around horribly. On my planes without the esc brake on, I usually get them in without prop damage, as long as motor is off the prop hitting the ground will usually get moved toward a safe position to not break.

So to sum it up, in my experience, setting the ESC to Break the Prop will more often do so on a belly lander.
Jan 25, 2020, 08:36 AM
The ESC brake is there for gliders and other planes with folding props. Without the brake the folding blades will windmill vs folding back against the fuse.
Jan 25, 2020, 10:24 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Yes, yes, that's the company line. And maybe it's correct. For the other side see here. Discussion of props begins at about 30 seconds.

ESC Brake - what it is, why to use it, how to activate it (10 min 45 sec)
Jan 25, 2020, 07:34 PM
With 100's of belly landings and one broken prop, I will continue to NOT have the ESC brake on. And will not worry as much about a tip stall on landing, without slowing it to much.

Quick Reply