This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 20, 2015, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

The dot com boom roars on.

It's amazing all those formerly penny chinese businesses of taxi cabs, pet furniture, LED blinkers, & bike delivery are now multi billion dollar Google acquisitions. Unlike 1999, there are no IPO's. All the money is in buyouts paid to the founders. It takes a lot less people to do what took a staff, 15 years ago. There are no more tales of Netscape staff members retiring. No more tales of six figure secretaries. There are no more secretaries or IT staff. The whole show is just a CEO & an iPhone.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2015, 11:47 PM
I think it's a sign of the software profession finally maturing. And business owners/investors finally realizing that having ISO9000 business types managing software projects is a recipe for disaster.

I personally remember way back in early 2000 when I started working when most people expect most software projects to fail or at least be very late. These days most projects are finished on time with half a dozen or so developers.

Our tools have evolved as well (while simultaneously remaining stubbornly unevolved in other ways). I remember a time when a weekend project was building an LED matrix display or building a stepper motor controller for a telescope. These days a weekend project tend to be things like building a web controlled, video streaming RC car or climate controlled irrigation systems. Cobbling together GUI, networking, hardware and usually one or two clever data processing in two days or less.

Our programming languages have in some respects stagnated but libraries and frameworks have proliferated. I think to the point where we sometimes simply expect frameworks to do magic and get frustrated when they can't.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:42 PM
No doubt, with languages like Python and new C++ versions, the turnaround time for a software project is much less. In the end libraries have become more mature because the hardware platform they are running on are incredibly fast now.

Yes software groups are smaller, but all it means is that companies can produce more and then in turn hire more SW developers because of the cost savings.

So the net benefit is there.

However SW development is still considered an art rather than an engineering discipline. And that leads to inefficiencies with software that's not designed well.

The days of the massively rich SW developer is gone. Now it's just one job after another.

Quick Reply