May 21, 2004, 09:40 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Thread OP

Help needed from those w/ experience with AXI motors

I recently purchased a Sig Rascal 40 ARF kit. I would like to convert it to electric flight. I think it is very doable. According to motocalc, my Hacker B50-18S with the right gearbox should fly it very nicely. But, it will take a fairly high voltage pack (6s). In order to handle the higher voltage, I will need to go to an oversized ESC.

I was wondering about the AXI outrunners. The idea of using a fairly large outrunner with no gearbox is kind of appealing to me. I have no experience with the outrunners and the motocalc numbers seem to be hard to find.

I am hoping to find a motor that can generate enough power to fly the Rascal with authority (not looking for 3D capability but I don't want it to be under powered either) on a 3s lithium pack and pull current suitable to run a 45A ESC.

Is this possible? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Joe
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2004, 12:33 AM
I need a new plane STAT!!
My club buddy converted his 40 ARF using a phasor 45-3, 14 cells. I currently run an AXI 4120/16 with a Pipercub 60 size. It pulls 45 amps from 16 3000NIMH cells and will be converting o Lipos using 5s4p pack. this is overkill for my plane and would be WAY overkill for the Rascal but may be what you are looking for.

DrBill
Sep 11, 2004, 02:15 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
There are two fellows flying Rascals w/ AXIs in them at our flying field. One went the hi performance route and the other flys scale. Both planes fly very well and the one that flys scale will stay up for about 20 minutes.

Not sure what motors & batteries they use but I'll ask tomorrow.

Pete
Sep 11, 2004, 09:41 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Thread OP
DrBill and Pete,

Wow, I had forgotten about this thread. Actually, I flew my Rascal for the third time yesterday. I used an AXI 2820-10 on 3s2p Tanic 2200's. It is not overpowered but it is not underpowered either. It is about right for a 40 sized trainer. It does not have extreme vertical performance but it can easily do rolls and loops and inverted flight.

It is not what I would prefer powerwise for general sport flying but it is fine for the intended purpose. That is to use as a trainer for two of my daughters.

I appreciate the efforts guys, but I think I have it figured out.

Joe
Sep 11, 2004, 02:07 PM
jperch

What prop do you use?

Mike
Sep 11, 2004, 03:58 PM
I think 11x7 or 12x6 are the two props people use on 3s LIPO mostly. I'd go for the 11x7 unless trying for extreme vertical.
Sep 12, 2004, 09:28 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Thread OP
I would have to check to be sure. But I think I used a 12x6 APC E prop.

Joe

Quick Reply