Jan 08, 2002, 01:36 PM
Thread OP

First flight of a new GWS cub-check it out

I continue to be impressed by the quality of the GWS kits. My latest is the GWS cub. It joins the lite stik, tigermoth andlite stik full fuse to round out the hanger.

Here is a pic of the cub going low and slow.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2002, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
A 2nd pic of it flying near the trees.
Jan 08, 2002, 01:41 PM
Thread OP
And finally a shot of the pilot after his first sucessful landing. Do you suppose he was excited?
BTW, he is only 8 years old!
Jan 08, 2002, 03:07 PM
Congrats on a great flight.

This is an experience he will not forget
Jan 09, 2002, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Poobs, he was glad someone took the time to write back. He is standing right beside me and wanted to say "thanks!".
Jan 09, 2002, 07:38 PM
Your attitude is your alt

Wonderful Memories :)

I can remember as a small boy, about your son's age, how I dreamed once about having a small plane I could fly in my backyard. I never forgot that dream, and finally 40 plus years later it's finally a reality!
I know your son will probably always look back on this time flying with his dad on a clear crisp winter day! There's something about flying, (R/C I might add), that really takes your mind off of everything. What a great way to relax, and relish the few good things in life!

Happy Flying

Gary Morris
Jan 09, 2002, 07:41 PM
Great stuff!

I just finished modifying my GWS Cub to Alierons/Elevator from the stock Rudder/Elevator combo. We'll see if the first flight is as successful as yours. Or will I be swapping props for a spare ...
Take care,
DaveA.
Jan 10, 2002, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys... Don't know who had more fun, son or dad!
Jan 10, 2002, 08:25 PM

Which Digital camera are you using?

the pictures ar quite sharp and the font on the date / time looks really cool. (or are you adding that in photoshop?)

anyway, I am a GWS junkie, and I can appreciate your pics. thanks for them.
Jan 10, 2002, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
Brendan,
I'm using a Kodak DX3600 camera. It is my third digital camera and I think it is great. It has great color contrast, a 2x optical zoom and 3x digital zoom plus lots of extra features like the timestamp you see on the pics.

One extra bonus is it will do video clips with sound! The videos on my webpage were all done with that little camera. I have a 32meg expansion card in mine so it can take up to 18 minutes of video or over 200 pics.
Jan 10, 2002, 08:56 PM
Checking the wind
Too Cool! Really enjoyed those photos!!

Our 13 year old has expressed interest in learning to fly. He is saving now. Think I will go ahead and surprise him with a kit. I want him to build it mostly by himself. I love my TM but I think it might not be the best trainer in terms of building and crash resistance. Since you have the Cub and the Fuse Stick. How do they compare?
Jan 11, 2002, 09:54 AM
Thread OP
Flying is a great relaxing hobby to do with your kids (or teenagers). I have 2 boys ages 8 and 10 and they both fly now. My 10 year old is good enough that we routinely chase each other around the sky with our planes. Loads of fun.

Regarding the cub and foam fusalage versions of the lite stik, I think the cub is probably the better plane for new flyers. My reason is it flies a bit slower than the fuse version of the stik, is easier to see (bigger) and has struts to support the wings making it stronger.

Of course there is nothing wrong with learning on the stick version of the lite stik. It flies fine and is very low cost although it doesn't look as much like a real plane and the stock performance isn't quite as good as the foam fuse models.
Jan 11, 2002, 10:33 AM
Matt:

My boy is only 5 weeks old and I'm 46 so I have a long time before I can teach him to fly "Who knows what we will be flying by then" - atomic batteries?

My daughter is 6 1/2 and she liked my simulator for a while but now she is into ballet.

I let her drive one of my R/c boats when she was 4. It was funny watching her wiggle the stick.

Keep us posted
Jan 11, 2002, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
Poops,
I'm not a huge fan of ballet but watching kids is always fun. Doesn't matter whether they are flying planes or doing ballet. Now joining her in this new interest, that is a different story!
Jan 11, 2002, 06:29 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
I have 3 wonderful sons, all grown up now, and none of them are into model airplanes. Count your blessings, and enjoy every moment with your boys. Maybe one of my grandsons will take up after me. Lord only knows I have enough stuff around here to outfit a few of them. Tom Smith, CD, Rhinebeck Jamboree

Quick Reply