Pilatus PC-6 Turbo Porter EPO Trainer 1700mm - RC Groups
Jan 20, 2015, 12:13 PM
Cool

Pilatus PC-6 Turbo Porter EPO Trainer 1700mm

Has anybody seen this new offering from Hobby King?

Looks interesting to me, I'm digging the drop box on it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2015, 01:20 PM
hi
I have one.
they are well built,
fly very stable,
landing gear fair
ok for the money
regards Robyn
Jan 29, 2015, 03:11 PM
Have you used the "drop Box" on this plane yet Robyn? I'm curious to see how it is set and functions.???
Jan 29, 2015, 09:50 PM
Hey guys,
Yup...the Pilatus Porter is a great looking plane & this HK unit is a really nice size. It's going on my "consider" list. I wish HK would have done a video. I would definitely do some mods on it as I can see some needed improvements.....the landing gear, & the non-retracting "drop box". Looks like they should have incorporated a drop bay similar to that used on the Flyzone Sensei so that opening & closing is servo controlled. I don't believe that this model has the dense foam my 1600mm w/s Dornier DO-27 has since the weight of the Pilatus(1700mm w/s) is 1900g(4.09lb) & my DO-27 weighs 2600g(5.60lb). Still, I may get this one. Pic is my DO-27......

Denny
Jan 30, 2015, 01:26 PM

drop box

hi
I have used the dropbox it is spring loaded and released by a servo
when you open the door it lays flat against the fuse behind the holding bay
works ok
regards Robyn
Feb 13, 2015, 08:34 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
Hey guys, here is a video I shot of mine yesterday. I replaced the plastic strut braces with aluminum this morning. Pics to follow.1700MM Pilatus Porter (HK, ArtTech):
1700MM Pilatus Porter (HK, ArtTech) (3 min 34 sec)
Last edited by Cubcrazy; Sep 05, 2017 at 05:53 AM.
Feb 13, 2015, 09:45 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
Since I did break a strut brace yesterday, I replaced them with aluminum streamlined tubing. I had to put a heat shrink sleeve around each end, as the aluminum I had on hand was smaller than stock plastic. Then it was just a simple drill, and fasten. Looks fantastic.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Feb 13, 2015, 05:28 PM
Hey! Great to see that model in the air. Thanks for posting it.

I'm curious as to which 13x5 3 blade you used. It seems to power it just fine and adds that very nice scale look.

Looks great!

Cheers,

Scott
Latest blog entry: Raiders Wing from Scratch
Feb 13, 2015, 07:22 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
I used the motor and prop combo from the FMS Edge 540. Parts are available under the spares tab for that plane, at motionrc.com.

I had to cut about 1/2" of foam off the front end to mount the FMS motor further back than stock. I also trimmed the cowl (slowly using a grinder/dremel) until my spinner gap was where I wanted it. I flew the plane stock for 3 flights, then did the power swap. Stock power is adequate, but I wanted more. I don't have unlimited vertical, but close. I will be fitting floats, and the extra power will come in handy.

-CC
Feb 14, 2015, 05:40 PM
Hey Cc,
I see you also broke one of the rather cheap LG struts as I have read others have. When I get mine, I'll make a new set out of alum. tubing so they are spring-loaded telescoping like the scale plane. I managed to download some very nice close-up pics of the underside of the fuse & the entire LG strut assem.. I'll be sure to post detailed pics.....

Denny
Feb 14, 2015, 07:37 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
I think I am going to run some Kavan air-filled tires for land ops. I have the floats in hand, but have not had a chance to tinker with installing them.
Feb 15, 2015, 03:43 PM
Thanks CubCrazy for posting your experience with this PC-6!!!!
Feb 20, 2015, 10:59 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
New Kavan 5 inch balloon tires came today. Ordered from SIGMFG.COM I will paint the hubs flat black.Kavan makes the lightest air filled tires in the industry. I had 4 inch on my old Flyzone Beaver. They are awesome. Second pic shows them next to the 3.5 inch Dubro low bounce I was running. Now it is a true bush plane.

Their site is a little odd to deal with, but I got my wheels in about 3 days, and shipping was $3.95
Last edited by Cubcrazy; Feb 20, 2015 at 11:11 PM.
Feb 20, 2015, 11:18 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
Flew the PC6 on the old tires 2 days ago. I wish I could capture the sound this power setup makes. It has a really neat woosh that makes it seem more like a Turbo-prop. I think the exhaust pipes create a sound when the air passes by. I am LOVING this airplane. PERFECT replacement for my Flyzone Beaver that I sold in the fall.

-CC
Feb 20, 2015, 11:27 PM
Hey Cc,
I'm ready to order one. The posts from you & Porcia83 over at RCUniverse & the HK site, under plane discussion, kinda sealed the commitment to buy one. I'll be contributing to this thread when mine arrives & the build w/any mods I may do. I definitely WILL add the larger tires as you have done. Thanks....

Denny