Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by electrich, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 19, 2015, 10:14 PM
Soar high, huck low
Build Log

Super sized Delta combat wing

Hey there, it's been a while since my last blog entry so I thought I would start a build log of my latest model. It started with a simple combat wing that a bunch of us who attend SEFF and HHAEFI were flying. As far as I can gather, it is a design that Larry Towner came up with. He is a really nice guy who does the MC duties at SEFF. The original planes that we fly are made from 1/4 inch thick fan fold foam. They span 2 feet and run on a 3 cell 1300, with about a 370- 400 size motor.

So anyway, I was at Home Depot buying drywall for a home improvement project and saw some full size 4x8 foot sheets of pink foam. I figured why not buy a sheet. My intention was to build a lightweight box to carry my glider wings and DLGs so they are not damaged in transport. Then I had a beer and started thinking And then I had another and got out a utility knife. Then I pulled out a chalk line and the longest straight edge I could find I started cutting and gluing and taping and had another beer.. in the end, I don't think I used any of my "hobby" tools. It was mostly a framing square, utility knife, table saw, jigsaw, and 4 foot level to cut straight lines. The pix pretty much sum up the build.
Last edited by electrich; Jan 20, 2015 at 07:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2015, 10:22 PM
Soar high, huck low
I'll get some more pics soon. It was windier than Chicago here in Georgia yesterday. But I was determined to see this bird rise up. We checked balance, plugged in the 3s 5000, and lined her up on the runway. Increased throttle to wide open and it did a great imitation of a go cart. But an airplane it was not. Yet. Our fellow flyer bsbauman pulled out a 4S 4400. We strapped in on, approximated the CG and tried again. Wow. What a difference a cell makes.
The power25 came to life an in about 100 feet she rotated, pitch up and had wind beneath the wings. Success. It was pretty tail heavy but was a slow and predictable flyer. We made a couple laps, brought it down, moved the battery up about half a foot and the second take off and flight was much better.
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Jan 20, 2015, 06:28 AM
FRiggin Sweet! Now its time to light it up!
Jan 20, 2015, 06:32 AM
Soar high, huck low
Even if I keep lights simple and make a triangle on the and bottom outline, it would require 12 meters of lights. If I do the verticals that would be another 6 meters. I think this is gonna be a day flyer....
Jan 20, 2015, 06:36 AM
Soar high, huck low
Estimated AUW is 7.5 pounds. That's the best I can measure with my bathroom scale. Wing surface area including elevons is about 16 square feet! That comes in a little under 8 oz per square foot. This thing might actually be able to thermal on a good boomer.
Jan 20, 2015, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich
Estimated AUW is 7.5 pounds. That's the best I can measure with my bathroom scale.
Then by your system of measurement... It weighs 10 beers
Jan 20, 2015, 09:41 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I have a few pics to get off my phone!
Congrats on the flight Rich! I cant wait to see her back in the air!
Jan 20, 2015, 11:02 AM
Soar high, huck low
Paint is next. Still contemplating a cool scheme.

Thanks for the battery!!
Jan 20, 2015, 11:44 AM
Awesome! How do you transport this thing?
Jan 20, 2015, 11:49 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I like the idea of steel plating with an airbrush, lots of youtube videos explaining the process
Jan 20, 2015, 11:56 AM
Soar high, huck low
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascalise
Awesome! How do you transport this thing?
With the removable wingtips it's exactly 4 feet wide. It fits in the back of my Honda Pilot easily if I drop the back seat down. Anther benefit of the landing gear is that I can fit all my flight boxes underneath it. And the plane is big and strong enough that I can put my Funcub on top of it.
Jan 20, 2015, 12:54 PM
OOOHH Funcub wheels would be awesome on that thing. And lights! hehe
Jan 20, 2015, 01:27 PM
Soar high, huck low
The current wheels are bigger than a Funcub wheel although not as balloon-y
Jan 20, 2015, 05:35 PM
PapaTrey
That thing looks AWESOME Rich. I can't wait to see it in the air.
Jan 20, 2015, 06:16 PM
Soar high, huck low
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaTrey
That thing looks AWESOME Rich. I can't wait to see it in the air.
Thanks Doug. It has quite a presence in the air and it will slow to a crawl. Mark's landing was a beautiful elevator with zero roll out. I'll get vids up soon.

Quick Reply