Jan 19, 2015, 10:32 PM
Thread OP
Question

In-cowl muffler for TF Spitfire

I have dusted off my 3/4 finished 60 sized TF Spitfire and realized why I put it down in the first place. I really need to acquire a muffler.

I have mounted a Saito FA91S in the nose. It came with the 90 degree fitting and flex hose approx 6 inches long. Now I would like an in-cowl muffler for it.

I have searched the internet and a number of online retailers (including Bisson mufflers) and can't seem to find the info or part that I need.

I realize that I may need to use one designed for another engine, but I don't know what is compatible with my engine or how it would attach to my flex hose.

Someone here must have used this engine with an after-market muffler. Anyone know what muffler will suit my needs? And, what kind of adapter would I need for that muffler?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2015, 11:16 PM
Same Day Delivery
rcspecialties.net
Jan 20, 2015, 07:38 AM
Gallery Link

http://rcspecialties.net/gallery.php
Jan 21, 2015, 04:33 PM
You might try Keleo mufflers. They made a Pitts style muffler for my OS 95V that works great. They will make them for 90s and above engines. Just drop them a note and ask.

Bruce
Jan 22, 2015, 10:12 PM
I use a 90deg fitting on my saito 100's which aligns the muffler directly behind the cylinder. I cut a slot in the bottom of the cowl which provides good cooling and easy on and off for maintenance. I have six .60 sized warbirds and most all of them are setup that way.
Edwin
Jan 23, 2015, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
I have the 90 degree fitting and I will be using a similar setup to the picture above. I am going to need that larger opening in the cowl for cooling air and it will give access to the glow plug for starting.
I had envisioned more of a canister type muffler with a couple of small exhaust tubes, kinda like a Pitts muffler would have. but, this will work just fine, and seems to be the norm for muffling the Saito's.

thanks for the input everyone.

Quick Reply