Jan 19, 2015, 05:35 PM
Build Log

Van's RV-4 HobbyKing ARF

Is there any interest in a HobbyKing Vanís RV-4 thread?
Here is mine
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2015, 05:37 PM
I was looking for a 2nd plane after I got my bronze wings with a Boomerang 40. I saw this plane on the HobbyKing website (insert link). I want to work towards a KMX/Extra type aerobatic plane and this seemed like something on that path. Low wing, fair size control surfaces but still a bit of dihedral etc. All the boomerang hardware (OS46AX and radio) can be swapped across and all I needed was 3 more servos. It looked cool. Plus it was cheap at ~AU$95.00

It went together pretty easily for a fairly inexperienced builder. I had to cut quite a lot out of the cowl to get the engine in. I used a Dremel and went at it slowly. It looks OK I think apart from the chipped paint
Jan 19, 2015, 05:38 PM
There were a few other minor hassles that donít worry me but a heads up might help others in this build. The vertical stabilizer has bolts that go through the horizontal stab to underneath the fuz. The front bolt wasnít long enough to go all the way through. I think the sleeve was glued in too far down. A tap with a hammer pushed it up a bit and I was able to get the nut on. There is a gap between the stab and the fuz on the right but otherwise it seems straight

The wheel pants were binding on the wheels so I had to redrill the holes to give more clearance
Apart from these minor issues I was very impressed. The control horns are anodized metal and all the linkages were included and seem to be good quality. The aluminum spinner was included also

Any comments would be appreciated
I will add more as I get towards flying it
Jan 20, 2015, 09:50 PM
Good looking bird Riffo! I think I can see flaps on the wing but not sure, does it have them?
I had one of the great planes 60 size RV-4 and absolutely loved it! Very aerobatic and would slow to a crawl with the flaps down. I'm anxious to hear how yours flies, post air pics if you can.
Jim
Jan 30, 2015, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitowings
I had one of the great planes 60 size RV-4 and absolutely loved it!
I had one also, with a 30cc engine, it was awesome ! But one day, the receiver battery pack disconnected and it goes far away in straight line... I never found it, that's very sad. Now, it's under the snow somewhere...

So, I bought another one at hobbyking, because the Greatplanes model is discontinued.

I followed instruction manual for engine alignment and the cowl front hole is not aligned with the output shaft..
Feb 03, 2015, 07:14 PM
Memento Mori
I've really been looking at this plane, but to go electric. Looks so good.
Feb 03, 2015, 11:23 PM
What flight time were you all getting on the HK bird?
Feb 03, 2015, 11:47 PM
Jim: Yes it has flaps but they are quite small and I have been told that they probably won't make much difference. I also can't get them to go down as far as recommended because the gap is too small and they are hinge bound. Still they look cool and another thing to play with on the ground and in the air. I have put the servos on different channels with the gear channel mixed in with the flaps channel. I have a Spekrum DX6i so all the channels are used. A problem I have is if I switch the gear switch one of the flaps goes down. I can't find a way to disable the gear switch. I hope I don't knock it when flying. I guess 1 flap down would be pretty drastic.

Fantasiiio: My cowl hole is also not well aligned with the shaft. I thought it was just my fault for not cutting the holes to let the head, carb etc accurately. It seems to clear the shaft OK but when I took the cowl off there is a scratch mark on the shaft. Maybe the vibration causes it to move around quite a lot. I should probably ensure a big clearance

r.sidhu397: I don't know if you are referring to the electric or to mine. I am running an OS46AX. I haven't actually maidened it yet because it has been too windy here the last few weekends. The tank seems to be the same size as the Boomerang 40 where I easily get 15min
Feb 22, 2015, 10:39 AM
Memento Mori
I know this is the fuel section, but there's literally no information on the electric conversion of this and the thread I created didn't gain any traction, so with that said I have question. There's no angle build in for P-Factor so what's everyone doing, making there own angle?
Feb 27, 2015, 10:40 AM
I just recently completed an RV-4. I did the electric version, running a Turnigy 42-48 650KV motor. I have not flown it yet, the weather has been bad here in the north east. I did have some initial problems with the ARF. First, the flaps will not level with the wings. One side is worse than the other. I have managed to get them almost all the way up and will trim them even on both sides. The other issue is with the finish. When the model was built it looks like glue got on the outside of the covering. This makes the model look dirty in places. Just cosmetic. I also had the problem with the wheel pants. Not a big deal. On the field that I fly they would not have worked anyway. I fly off of a grass strip that has deeper grass than what the pants would clear. I just took them off completely.

I think this plane should fly nice. Hoping for good weather to find out.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401
I know this is the fuel section, but there's literally no information on the electric conversion of this and the thread I created didn't gain any traction, so with that said I have question. There's no angle build in for P-Factor so what's everyone doing, making there own angle?
I'm not sure where I got this from. I put in 2 degrees right and 1 1/2 down. I vaguely remember being told that this is a good starting point.
Mar 10, 2015, 04:32 PM
Memento Mori
Thanks Scooch.

So a little a flustered. When putting the tail together the elevator control rods where pretty far off, no big deal I'll make an adjustment. So I pull the rods out and see this nonsense.

The majority of the control rod is plastic tubing. Only the beginning and the end are actual metal. I can see enough force ripping the metal rod out of the plastic say coming out of a nice dive and pulling back on the elevator. Then on the 2 lock-collars, not a single drop of loctite on either one. Nuts.
Apr 22, 2015, 05:16 AM
I have finally managed to get a couple of flights in. Plenty of power with the set-up that I am running. It flies decent. Not as nimble as I thoughts it would be. I'll play with the throws some and try to get more out of it. The covering is a little strange. I went over the plane and ironed the skin down to get the wrinkles out and now can see the underlying wood very clearly through the skin. It is almost as if the skin has lost some of its coloring. I thought maybe I had the iron to hot so I turned it down and got the same result. Overall I am happy with this plane. It flies easy and predictable, lands nicely even without using the flaps, and looks good. The quality of the airframe is good and the fact the hinges are done with pin hinges is a plus. My biggest complaint with the construction is the glue that is on the skin.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:43 PM
Look good! I've just finished my Great Planes Rv4 40. This ARF caught my eye too. It's wingspan looks bigger than my 55". What is it? I expect it's the same... it just looks bigger.

PD.

Quick Reply