Feb 05, 2015, 05:31 PM
The parts look great!!!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2015, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
Received the GPV-1 (1/8) motor mount today, so I had to make some minor changes.
Last edited by katana2665; Sep 03, 2017 at 08:39 AM.
Feb 07, 2015, 09:49 PM
Thread OP
Multiple piece rim I'm working through. Need to separate the hub.
Last edited by katana2665; Sep 03, 2017 at 08:40 AM.
Feb 11, 2015, 02:24 PM

What version SW

Hey Katana2665,
What version Solid Works are you using? Mine is 2003 that an old employer let me keep. I think I could do without a lot of things before going without this tool in the box.
Michael R.
Feb 11, 2015, 03:07 PM
Thread OP
Using 2014 x64, and yes, I agree. I haven't touched all my other 3D programs (3dsMax,Zbrush, etc...) since getting bit by the CAD bug.

Much more practical too.

Feel free to post a pic here of something you've done. That's what the thread is for...

Chris
Feb 14, 2015, 05:44 PM

Kobayashi

You've inspired me to whip something up, here's kobayashi san's sketch, sketched in 3d, rough mass out.
Feb 14, 2015, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
dshy: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 14, 2015, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
GPV1 parts over the past few days.
Last edited by katana2665; Sep 03, 2017 at 08:41 AM.
Feb 15, 2015, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
I was talking to SWheels yesterday and mentioned that one thing i would like to do is try my hand at making my own homemade tires.

So I have been playing with profiles. (1/8th)
Last edited by katana2665; Sep 03, 2017 at 08:42 AM.
Feb 15, 2015, 02:43 PM
http://www.rctw.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=128334

If you scroll down, there is some interesting considerations for making 1/8th profiled inserts. Tracking down materials could be another story.
Feb 15, 2015, 04:18 PM
Individual tire profiles are one thing but dont forget to compare the front and rear as installed parts and cycle them through a range of motion. You will learn a lot about how things relate and work.

Also just a side note on the motor plate. At the time I designed that part we were dealing with brushed and brushless motors hence the two bolt patterns. The large center hole was for the bearing or bushing on a motor to clear.

Your parts are looking better and better. You should put a micro fillet on the outter edges of the parts to finish them better. Sharp edges are frowned upon in production and machining. They chip, ding and cause issues.
Feb 15, 2015, 04:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Individual tire profiles are one thing but dont forget to compare the front and rear as installed parts and cycle them through a range of motion. You will learn a lot about how things relate and work.

Also just a side note on the motor plate. At the time I designed that part we were dealing with brushed and brushless motors hence the two bolt patterns. The large center hole was for the bearing or bushing on a motor to clear.

Your parts are looking better and better. You should put a micro fillet on the outter edges of the parts to finish them better. Sharp edges are frowned upon in production and machining. They chip, ding and cause issues.
Thanks Chris. Yep, I know about fillets and chamfers in production. I left some of them sharp where they would butt up against a plate, but I will go back and relieve the corners I skipped.

The Motor plate needs to be updated to include a support piece on the bottom to prevent flexing and get a more solid motor mount. I am probably going to go back and redesign that piece anyway.

As for the profiles, I got to thinking about how the front and rear tires were of different widths and typically different compounds, so I assume that the same profile would be effective, but that's something I would have to see in person when I actually do them. In the meantime i will create a half dozen different sets in Solidworks.

It looks like a 3-4 piece mold to make them though.
Feb 15, 2015, 10:51 PM
Thread OP
I took my 1/5 swingarm and down scaled it to 1/8. Then rebuilt it to fit 1/8 requirements. I created a rear axle locking system with 12mm of adjustment.

Still have to finish the cutouts/mount for the rear shock....and the chain slide area.
Last edited by katana2665; Sep 03, 2017 at 08:42 AM.
Feb 16, 2015, 04:36 PM
A little more details, better body geometry. Added some filets in spots to smooth it out, more triple fork holder work, rear tire guard work, added hang on rider and receiver plates, sorted out steering pivot.
Feb 16, 2015, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by katana2665
I took my 1/5 swingarm and down scaled it to 1/8. Then rebuilt it to fit 1/8 requirements. I created a rear axle locking system with 12mm of adjustment.

Still have to finish the cutouts/mount for the rear shock....and the chain slide area.

Great design, some sort of indexing marks would possibly make it easier to not be a spot off by mistake, if there is 12 mm, maybe every 3rd/4th mm. If the center tooth of your inside index plate had a highlighted center mark, and you had similar markings 3/4mm apart on the swing arm, should remady all cave man mistakes.

Quick Reply