This thread is privately moderated by austntexan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 17, 2015, 02:52 PM
weniger, aber besser
Thread OP
Build Log

FPV-Reconn RD 230 Naked- Spec Racer

www.fpv-reconn.com
Building a spec racer for my local group here in Raleigh.

To be allowed to race, the quad must run no more than 3S, spinning 5" props.

Hoping to get the maiden in this evening.
RD230 FPV Maiden* (1 min 37 sec)

Here's the evolution of this frame. I've upgraded to a dirty/clean version, flying only 4S with HQ545. It's a screamer. It's nearly as fast as a lot of 300mm 645 rigs, and a lot more maneuverable in close prox stuff.

Wrestle with Jimmy (3 min 47 sec)

RD230: tick tick boom (3 min 49 sec)

Acro Naze/Cleanflight
Cobra 2204/2300KV w/5x3 or 5x4 props
KISS 18A ESCs, JP1 closed and 1-Shot enabled
3S or 4S Power
Runcam Sky 12V flight camera (securitycamera2000)
TS832 32 Ch. 600mW 5.8 vTX (securitycamera2000)
5.8 circularly polarized 3 Lobe Cloverleaf (securitycamera2000)
To allow a 4S option, I've wired in a switching regulator, set to 12v out.
FrSky 2.4 or IRC 4 Ch Lite 433
Last edited by austntexan; Apr 11, 2015 at 10:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2015, 04:30 PM
Go for that race! Nice build log.
Jan 17, 2015, 11:29 PM
weniger, aber besser
Thread OP
Thanks man! Now I'm just trying to get Cleanflight to work on my Mac. Build is pretty much done. I need to update the photos soon.
Jan 18, 2015, 03:49 AM
weniger, aber besser
Thread OP
Finished the build. Now just need to tune the FC (Naze on Cleanflight+1Shot).

Hopefully get a little video tomorrow.
Jan 18, 2015, 05:08 AM
Kiwi in Germany
how much does it weigh?
Jan 18, 2015, 11:46 AM
weniger, aber besser
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere
how much does it weigh?
Naked: 352g
AUW/1300 3S Glacier: 464g
Jan 19, 2015, 08:33 AM
Born for RC Fanatics
Cool! Looking forward to the video! By the way, we will have new HD camera(RunCam HD) soon, you can get a better video with it in the near future! - Bob
Jan 20, 2015, 09:36 AM
weniger, aber besser
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunCam
Cool! Looking forward to the video! By the way, we will have new HD camera(RunCam HD) soon, you can get a better video with it in the near future! - Bob
Looking forward to trying out the HD camera!
Jan 20, 2015, 05:35 PM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
Very superclean build - it should be a speedy one.
Let us know what the weights are - I'm curious to see how light it turned out, and of course.... we wanna see the mandatory speed run

BTW.... unluckily I found out using aluminum screws for fastening arms to frame turned out to be a GOOD thing:
Crashed yesterday .... I had roll rate too high apparently and did too many rolls at low altitude and ended up crashing. RD270 landed on the arm and the outer screw sheared, arm rotated backward. So the aluminum hardware is doubly good. Save a couple of grams and serves as a failure point to dissipate crash energy and perhaps preventing heavy damage
Jan 20, 2015, 10:50 PM
weniger, aber besser
Thread OP
Thanks EngineerX!

She's pretty light I think, AUW 465g w/1300mAH 3S Glacier. I really wanted to make her super light so I can crash all day when we race. I may actually move down to 1806 motors to save some more weight but I'll race the cobras first and see how they work out.

Definitely will do a speed run! I've got a step down on the video rail so I can run 3S or 4S. That was an interesting discovery about the 600mW TS832 5.8G 32Ch vTX. . . it doesn't have a stepdown like the IRC 600mW vTX, so you need to be careful about what you're plugging in coming off the vTX. Still, having 32 ch means I can race with anyone in my group, I'm also going to run a LHP CP antenna on it. Even more protection from overlapping signals. Wahoo!!

Thats a cool use of alum screws. A lot cheaper than replacing a CF arm, quicker too. Just keep a handful of screws/nuts in your kit and you're golden. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerX
Very superclean build - it should be a speedy one.
Let us know what the weights are - I'm curious to see how light it turned out, and of course.... we wanna see the mandatory speed run

BTW.... unluckily I found out using aluminum screws for fastening arms to frame turned out to be a GOOD thing:
Crashed yesterday .... I had roll rate too high apparently and did too many rolls at low altitude and ended up crashing. RD270 landed on the arm and the outer screw sheared, arm rotated backward. So the aluminum hardware is doubly good. Save a couple of grams and serves as a failure point to dissipate crash energy and perhaps preventing heavy damage
Jan 21, 2015, 02:51 AM
That's a killer weight (I didn't read you had given weights just a few posts above -duh!)

definitely aluminum hardware helped on this particular crash. Sometimes it's all about crashing at the right angle (or wrong angle). The lighter you are the less it'll get damage too, so your lightweight quad should survive well. All these "more powah" trend has made my miniquads porky LoL.

Here's where the screw sheared. The bottom plate got a little delamination, I'll add some glue and clamp it.

Last edited by EngineerX; Jan 21, 2015 at 02:57 AM.
Jan 23, 2015, 02:13 AM
weniger, aber besser
Thread OP
Quote:
That's a killer weight (I didn't read you had given weights just a few posts above -duh!)

definitely aluminum hardware helped on this particular crash. Sometimes it's all about crashing at the right angle (or wrong angle). The lighter you are the less it'll get damage too, so your lightweight quad should survive well. All these "more powah" trend has made my miniquads porky LoL.

Here's where the screw sheared. The bottom plate got a little delamination, I'll add some glue and clamp it.
Are you back in the air yet? I was doing more LOS testing today. Really liking the Naked racer with 5" props. On 4S it's a rascal, lots of fun on 3S too.

Copying Boris' PIDs for his KISS/Super BO. I'm hoping this cures my oscillation issues. I had the D way up and now it's in the cellar. Fingers crossed.
Jan 25, 2015, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by austntexan
Are you back in the air yet? I was doing more LOS testing today. Really liking the Naked racer with 5" props. On 4S it's a rascal, lots of fun on 3S too.

Copying Boris' PIDs for his KISS/Super BO. I'm hoping this cures my oscillation issues. I had the D way up and now it's in the cellar. Fingers crossed.
Almost - I glued and clamped the plate just gotta put it back together and it'll be ready. Luckily I've been building a few copters lately so meantime I've been playing with the UberHex
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=994

Sounds like I may have to build me a superlight mini one of these days, my builds have been getting heavier and heavier LoL

PID tuning is still much of a mystery to me, more like a hit and miss/trial and error affair.
Jan 25, 2015, 07:46 AM
weniger, aber besser
Thread OP
Quote:
Almost - I glued and clamped the plate just gotta put it back together and it'll be ready. Luckily I've been building a few copters lately so meantime I've been playing with the UberHex
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=994

Sounds like I may have to build me a superlight mini one of these days, my builds have been getting heavier and heavier LoL

PID tuning is still much of a mystery to me, more like a hit and miss/trial and error affair.
Yeah man, me too. I just crib off of everyone else then tweek it a little bit. Great video and really good looking build.
Jan 28, 2015, 01:23 AM
weniger, aber besser
Thread OP
Recent video from the Spec Racer.

RD230-New Spot (6 min 47 sec)

Quick Reply