Apr 15, 2015, 05:10 PM
Geez... why would you power any modern RC aircraft with a 4 cell Nimh pack? A 550mm heli draws a huge amount of power, way more than the 4 cell Nimh can deliver.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2015, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Geez... why would you power any modern RC aircraft with a 4 cell Nimh pack? A 550mm heli draws a huge amount of power, way more than the 4 cell Nimh can deliver.
Jim, you beat me to the punch !!! It's foolishness to use NiCd or NiMh in anything today !!! IMHO !
Apr 19, 2015, 12:15 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanRodriguez
It's foolishness to use NiCd or NiMh in anything today !!! IMHO !
NiMH packs are still used extensively in slope and thermal gliders.
  • We frequently fly them over dry vegetation and we don't want to use packs that could vent with flame if we crash.
  • We usually don't want to use (and rarely have room for) a voltage regulator.
  • Our gliders frequently need the additional weight to make CG.
Just sayin ...

Pete
Apr 19, 2015, 12:51 PM
You have never seen a Nimh vent before apparently... they most certainly do flame. In fact, we were standing around at a jet event when the entire front half of a jet blew apart and was on fire (luckily no turbine fuel burned). The cause - a 6 cell (3 x 2 stick pack) had one of the little welded tabs just so happen make contact and weld itself from postitive to the side of the case. One single cell caused all of the damage!

A lot of guys (in this area) are using dual 1100mAh Life batteries as a long stick. This fits in every glider and no fire when venting.
Apr 20, 2015, 09:03 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
You have never seen a Nimh vent before apparently...
I've seen it once in more than 20 years. It was a charging incident which occurred on the front seat of a Lexus and was the result of the owner doing just about every possible thing wrong.

There was no evidence of fire, though. I'm not saying there wasn't any, but if there was it was so brief that it didn't set anything on fire. BANG - and the incident was over.

Quote:
A lot of guys (in this area) are using dual 1100mAh Life batteries as a long stick. This fits in every glider and no fire when venting.
It's apparent that you don't fly discus-launch gliders, Jim. I suppose I could fit those LiFe cells in mine, but most of the front cell would have to stick out through a hole in the nose and making CG would be real tough.

Pete (who's anxiously waiting for aluminum-ion cells to hit the market)
Apr 22, 2015, 01:23 PM
Garland
Thread OP
Goin forward here is my plan no matter what aircraft I put XPS into.

No 2s lipo Rx packs or BEC circuits EVER. Those 2 i just dont use. No switches also.

I will put 2 packs of A123 going into each nano, 10channel Rx, or X10/RFU I will fly. With tattle tales.

Now how accurate is the Tattle tale with 2 batts on it? I need to put it where I can see it and not have a 3 ring circus going on in my power system...Maybe Im getting OCD here.

I plan to fly Elec and nitro choppers. Elec and nitro planes. All on XPS
Apr 22, 2015, 02:18 PM
The X10+ has the Tattletale built in, so if you can see it then you don't need the Tattletale. The accuracy of the voltage measurement does not change based on the battery type(s) or capacity.

Quick Reply