This thread is privately moderated by holtneil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 16, 2015, 11:10 AM
Heli nut " the wife said so "
Thread OP
Discussion

Cobra Update

Hi guys this is an update on the cobra , To start off I want to thank Steve aka jetplaneflyer for the kbar gyro , and a big thanks to Troy aka Heli -Heaven for the 1000kv motor he has posted to me , thanks guys your both top guys , also to Viktor as he always makes me Laugh , and while I am doing thanks , there are 2 scale guys that are a great help to me and thats Don aka keyrigger( heli whisperer to me ) and justy g Thanks for letting me pick your brains your top guys
Ok to the cobra I am waiting for parts i have a set of Navigation light as these come with 5mm leds I got some 3mm leds as they are a better scale size for the Cobra.
As for sorting head speed this will be done by fitting a 1000kv motor and putting in the old trex 500 main gear with a 17t pinion, this will give me 2070 rpm
I will then govern this down to 1900 and if i am right that should be between 75-85% throttle , I am hoping this will either give me more flight time or stay the same I will be happy as long as it does not go down , The mcfarlane pilots are still not here , getting worried now I hope that was not 92 loss , I emailed the guy so will give it till next week , if still not here then I will get on to e bay
UPDATE they came wow time to cut them up
Kbar is super stable (5 min 44 sec)
Last edited by holtneil; Jan 21, 2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add photos
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2015, 02:27 PM
Waste Nothing
I would be willing to wager that if one searched around within the Dollarama stores , something similar would be found . What a great idea for scale(ish) pilot figures . Some guy used the familiar G.I.Joe as pilots some years ago and even went as far as installing servos within the figure (doll) to operate the arms for controlling the model . An autogyro if I am not mistaken . Flying Models magazine in the 1970s era . Great work my friend .
Jan 18, 2015, 10:09 PM
A man who delivers.(packages)
make sure you don't do this now

hey are your blades painted??
Jan 19, 2015, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Hi guys thanks for the info as I am in the uk I cant get GI Joe , So these are really nice so worth the money they are getting hard to come by now they were made in 2007 so its what stock is left is all you can get , i have seen them at 75 each so 92 for both is good I did find them in the USA at 25 each but they dont ship to UK so my hands were tied to where I can get them from

Are you trying to jinx me mate lol NO I hope not to do whats in the photo Vik ,Ii have not painted to blades yet , I will be painting them and the head also the tail rotor so its all black , its to cold here right now , When all the parts are in I will strip it down to finish it off and may do the painting then
Jan 19, 2015, 01:54 PM
Waste Nothing
Neil : Maybe a friend over the pond in this colonies (Canada) could better source this stuff for you and ship . What are you looking for besides the McFarlane ? The GI Joes show up occasionally at a local 'garage sale' (rummage sale) and can be had on the cheap . The Joe has a torso sized such that a pair of micro-servos will easily fit within . I thought to use this approach with an RC kite model . Have the pilot actually do the flying !
Jan 20, 2015, 07:33 PM
Neil, you need to drop your headspeed a little more in the throttle curve I can fly a 600heli with 860rpm's. TOTALLY SCALE!!!

P1080620 (1 min 27 sec)
Jan 21, 2015, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Hi Vik it looked a little unstable or are you just heavy on the sticks , what was the hard landing at the end ,i think 860 rpm is too low try 900 rpm
If you get to low in rpm the ESC can get very hot so hows temp on motor and ESC
Jan 21, 2015, 07:46 PM
i was very heavy on the sticks, cos i was trying to see how it "looks" on camera and was getting close to lanai wall, so i was really stirring the sticks. another factor is "being on camera"

anyways, it flies rather well. VERY SCALE!! i did more flight time when i put away the camera.

the landing at the end was when i tried a fast piro and when i let go of the sticks, it kept turning because there was fairly low tail authority for anything abrupt....

it was fun!! (h and i did run full throttle, so everything was cool temps)

Quick Reply