Jan 15, 2015, 01:23 PM
Jonathan Sawn
Thread OP
New Product

Micro F4D Skyray

We are extremely happy to announce the release of the fifth kit in our Micro Fighters series! This new model builds on the performance and construction techniques of its predecessors and that shines through in the air! Without further a due, I present the Sawn Craft Micro F4D/F-6 Skyray!

The model is CNC-cut out of extremely light and durable XPS foam and includes all carbon, laser-cut control horns, and hardware required to complete the build!

Just like all of our Micro Fighters, the Micro Skyray is designed to be powered by the standard 1S UMX-type power system that you will find in numerous BNF and RTF models such as the Hobbyzone Champ.

Designed to fly in an area the size of a single basketball court, you have the choice to build your Micro Skyray with either rudder and elevator controls or with elevons as both tails are included in the kit. Using the rudder/elevator controls will allow for added control at extremely low speeds and excels at high alpha flight while the elevon controls will provide a more sporty and aerobatic flying experience.

Sawn Craft Micro F4D Skyray Specs
  • Wingspan: 12"
  • AUW: 1.2oz / 34g
  • Lightweight and Durable XPS and Carbon Construction
  • R/E/T or Elevon Controls Included
  • Designed for common 1S UMX power systems
  • Simple build using tab & slot alignment
  • Full-color instruction manual included

We are also partnering with a well-known decal manufacturer to provide custom-sized graphics packages for this, and all of our other models so check in the coming weeks for those to become available on the website.

The Micro F4D Skyray kit is available now at Sawn-Craft.com!

We are looking forward to this thread becoming the hub for any questions that you might have about this kit as well as a place to show-off your build!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2015, 01:24 PM
Jonathan Sawn
Thread OP
Here is the flight video of a couple of Micro F-4D Skyrays in flight! The venue we fly in has a fly able area gust about the size of a single court gym so you can get an idea of how small a space they can fly in.

Sawn Craft Micro F-4D Skyray - Flight Video (3 min 24 sec)
Last edited by Sawn Craft; Feb 02, 2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added flight video
Jan 16, 2015, 09:44 AM
Any reason it can't be built rudder-elevon?
Jan 16, 2015, 10:41 AM
Jonathan Sawn
Thread OP
The short answer is no, there is no reason that you couldn't use rudder and elevon controls.

The longer answer is that we don't list rudder/elevon as an option is that the kits are designed to work with most bricks and the 3-channel bricks with only two on-board servos wouldn't be able to control the extra surface. If you wanted to use rudder/elevon controls you'd just need to use a brick that had an external servo port (P-51, T-28, etc.), an external servo, and add a control rod.

Setup the elevon control as instructed in the manual, but instead of using the vertical stabilizer that doesn't have the rudder, setup the rudder tail with the external servo mounted vertically on the side of the stab to control that surface. Mixing will more than likely need to be used, but the builder that opted for this option would more than likely be experienced enough to handle it.

Thank you for your interest in the Micro Skyray; we really do appreciate the feedback and questions!
Jan 16, 2015, 10:46 AM
Live like no one else...

Just ordered one

Ha!

Randomly checked on your site and found this model. Ordered it and came here looking for discussion threads

Now I need to find a UMX brick that's not in use...
Jan 16, 2015, 11:06 AM
Jonathan Sawn
Thread OP
Dm_mm, I just got your order and will get it in the mail ASAP! Thank you for the order!

If you do have questions we are on the ground floor of the discussion thread so any chatter will be good for others looking for information like yourself!
Jan 17, 2015, 07:23 PM
Great job on the new Skyray, it looks awesome! Always cool to see new models hit the market.
Jan 20, 2015, 02:10 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Love flying thier Mini Mana-Tee. I might have to pick one of these up as well.
Jan 20, 2015, 10:21 AM
Crazy Canuck
I just placed my order in also. Look forward to building this little jet. It's been one of my favorite jets.Thanks
As a side note it would be kinda neat to use a 30mm DF from the FZ F-86 maybe later on?? May need to increase the WS to 16" but still would work for indoors.
Jan 20, 2015, 12:34 PM
Jonathan Sawn
Thread OP
Thank you NEWBEFLYER!

You may see an EDF model at some point in the future, but I think there would have to be a fair amount of tweaking to get it to work at its best since this one is geared toward low-speed handling.

You never know what we'll come up with! I do have an F-86 on the wall...
Jan 20, 2015, 04:46 PM
Crazy Canuck
Well I will keep a eye on your site and look forward to the F-86 I have the UM E flite guts brick ,servos and EDF unit plus the Flyzone F-86 guts just waiting to be put into a small micro jet. I love the F-86 my Father flew them and I would detail it like the one he flew. The Skyray would be a real nice candidate for EDF being a delta wing it would fly with a wide flight envelope. Send me a note when you have them kitted you got one buyer here already LOL
Jan 21, 2015, 06:38 AM
Live like no one else...
Received a nice flat box in the mail yesterday. I'm still waiting for the brick I ordered and looking at color schemes.
Jan 21, 2015, 09:25 PM
Jonathan Sawn
Thread OP
Thanks for posting that, NEWBE! The time has come for me to paint my flying prototype so this will give me some other options that I had overlooked.
Jan 21, 2015, 09:35 PM
Here's my color scheme for a RBC Skyray. I burned up the brushed motor that was in it many years ago. Time to refresh the paint and get her flying on LiPos and brushless.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535517

Quick Reply