Jan 15, 2015, 11:19 AM
Hangin' ten in the rotor...
Thread OP
Discussion

HF DG-505 3.64m

Hello... I've been flying the smaller foamie sailplanes (radian, radian II) for the past year now, and have grown to enjoy the thermalling and dynamic soaring in contrast to the electric sport planes I've been flying as well.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 'new-in-box', no electronics, virgin HF DG-505 3.64m sailplane with the molded 'glass wings for $500. Includes landing gear, spoilers, etc.

Also available is the HF DG-606 2.6m-3.2m in the same condition (without spoilers) for around $400.

Are any of these a good buy, and which one of these would you prefer to purchase?

I do not have a winch, so I would also have to purchase or build this as well, or I could build a detachable e-power pod for her.

I've done some research on the 505 and have found that she is prone to tip stalling at approach, moreso than other sailplanes... possibly because the very short cords at the tips, along with the thicker profile of the tip sails (low Reynolds' numbers issues). Not only that, but she's a bit portly, required more air speed. This is my take on the comments I've read about the 505. I have not been able to find much on the 600, however.

Any and all comments and suggestions are very appreciated!
Thanks
-Doug
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2015, 01:39 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Funny you mention it! I just finished putting the radio in a 505 with built up wings just yesterday, we are going to fly it Saturday on its maiden.

I paid 350 for a built but never flown with all the electronics, no rx and no retract so 500 with everything would be a good deal but I have no idea how it flys yet. Check back Saturday night
Jan 15, 2015, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Barracudahockey... I'll be waiting your report of your flights. The 505 I am considering does not include any servos or rx. I'd be interested in what servos were installed in your 505.
Thanks
Jan 15, 2015, 02:33 PM
Thread OP
Barracuda... what method are you using in launching her?
Jan 15, 2015, 02:59 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Tow plane (I'm not the cute one)
Jan 15, 2015, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
Nice! (the cute one... sorry, I had to say something) Nice looking L-13. Is that the Eflite? How she thermal?
Last edited by GliderDog; Jan 15, 2015 at 08:45 PM.
Jan 16, 2015, 06:53 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Yep, thats the E-Flite Blanik. Surprisingly well for 23 lbs.

The tow plane has a DA-85 with RE3 tuned pipe, it will accelerate going straight up
Jan 16, 2015, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
Sweet.
Hope tomorrow is a good day for soaring for you and your '505. I really want to hear how it goes. I'm guessing that the thermals will not be very strong, looking at the weather report for your area.

Here looks like a 3.6m hf dg 505 with flaps... Nice flying.
3.6M DG505 Hand Launch (5 min 46 sec)
Jan 16, 2015, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
TFLG is the guy that made that vid, and that flapped '505...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...05#post6298321
Jan 16, 2015, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
TFLG has the sheeted wings, and made flaps for them...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ap#post5958563

I wonder how hard it would be to add flaps to the molded wing version?
Jan 16, 2015, 11:14 AM
Thread OP
Barracuda...
TFLG seems to be the HF DG-505 wizard of RCGroups. He indicates that the '505, and other heavy scale ships need plenty of speed on landing. Though with that 23 lb behemoth L-13, you probably already know this.
Jan 16, 2015, 01:14 PM
Where's the lift?
I had the HF DG505, and I wasn't entirely happy with it. Mine was electric (with a replaceable nose cone for pure sailplane aerotowing), but I found it a challenge to get it to climb in soft lift. And it DID have a tip stall. I had fun with it, but not my favorite. My buddy Dave Smith let me fly his HF DG1000 once, with the longer wings, and it was markedly better.
Jan 16, 2015, 02:47 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Looking forward to tomorrow, the tow plane and K-8 are in the garage charging.
Jan 16, 2015, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
dgliderguy... do you remember how much your 505 weighed with and without the motor and propulsion battery?
I've read that some examples were up and over 8 lbs, whereas the lighter examples were around 7 lbs, and those seemed to be better at thermalling. Did you replace the steel wing joiner rod with a carbon rod to help reduce weight?

I called ICARE and SoaringUSA and both said they do not have the wings for the 1000, nor any other parts for the HF line of aircraft.

I've also read that many thought that the 1000 thermalled better than the 505, whereas the 505 was better at sloping. Your thoughts?
Jan 16, 2015, 03:38 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
I ordered up a carbon wing tube, the wing rod is 12 1/2 ounces!!!

But yes, I'm used to flying scale gliders I'll take it up high and see if it acts nutty when slowed down or with the spoilers out.

Quick Reply