Jan 14, 2015, 11:16 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Thread OP
Contest

ALES Contest - Long Island NY - April 25 & 26 2015

The Long Island Silent Flyers would like to announce that we will be hosting the Eastern Soaring League on April 25 and 26 for an Altitude Limited Electric Soaring Contest, ALES. All AMA members are welcome.

Registration site:
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=193

If you have ANY problems registering let me know.

Description:

This will be a electric launched thermal duration soaring contest flown under AMA rules for event 631, Altitude Limited Electric Soaring, ALES. See page 12 at this link:
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/...16Electric.pdf

Contest results will be reported to both the Eastern Soaring League and the ALES League.

All gliders will require an ALES device set to 200 meters. If you are not familiar with ALES devices you can read more about them here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht=ALES+Device

A maximum registration of 44 pilots has been set to insure plenty of room for everyone to fly and land with no overlap of landing circles.

You can learn more about the club and the flying field at www.lisf.org

We will fly Expert Class, Sportsman Class and Novice Class.

Expert and Sportsman awards to 3rd place.

All Novice pilots will receive a certificate. Novice fly FREE.

For GPS and MapQuest users, the address for the field entrance is 25 Southwoods Road, Syosset, NY 11792.

If you need a place to stay you can find information about options here:
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=318

LISF is very friendly to new pilots and those who have never flown an ALES contest before. We have been hosting ESL TD and DLG contests for years. This will be our first hosted ESL ALES contest.

If you have questions, please ask. That is the purpose of this discussion thread.

Ed Anderson and George Hill - Co-CDs
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 17, 2015 at 12:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2015, 11:52 AM
What is definition of a Novice?
Jan 14, 2015, 01:01 PM
Thread OP
All classes are self defined but this may help.

ESL Expert, Sportsman and Novice - what do they mean?
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263
Jan 17, 2015, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
If you have not flown ALES you might find this video interesting. This was shot an an SVSS ALES contest in 2012. The LISF ALES contest would follow a similar format.
SVSS - ALES Contest - 3-3-12 (5 min 56 sec)
Jan 17, 2015, 01:08 PM
Closed Account
I'm going to be over in North Jersey, visiting family, so I might just shoot on over to LI for this event. Quick question though...How high is one allowed to fly, at the event and can one mount a camera onto their sailplane, while competing in the event?
Jan 17, 2015, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
you can fly as high as you like but you must remain in visual range. No FPV.

If you want top out a camera on your plane that if fine with me. Just make sure it is SOLIDLY mounted and can't come off. Tape will not be considered adequate.

I flew an ALES in NJ with a pilot who had a camera mounted in his plane. He wasn't terribly competitive but he had a great time.
Jan 17, 2015, 03:38 PM
Closed Account
No, I don't do FPV, strictly naked eye flying, but I do enjoy flying it extremely high. I'm able to see it, well over a half mile up without visual aide and my cameras are held on with velcro , tape and rubber bands, all at once and I've never had one to come off yet, not even in a crash. I think that videoing an event from such a high altitude, would be awesome! Btw...remain in who's visual range???
Last edited by Maximilionalpha; Jan 17, 2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo
Jan 17, 2015, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
your visual range.
Jan 20, 2015, 08:05 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Nick and I will plan on stopping by New York on our way back home from the Wilson contest... So we will plan on flying on Saturday.

that is, assuming that we survive spring break in Virginia Beach, Ocean City, Atlantic City,...
Jan 20, 2015, 11:19 PM
Thread OP
It will be good to see you both! What will you be flying this year?
Jan 21, 2015, 08:28 AM
turn, turn, turn.
I'll be flying my venerable Topaz S, & a Supra.. Nick is going full Team Polecat this year, and will be flying a Scimitar and an Oracle.
Jan 21, 2015, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
Look forward to seeing you.
Jan 21, 2015, 11:00 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Look forward to seeing you.
same here Ed... Its been a long winter.

hopefully we can pry some of the hand launch glider guys out of the woodwork this year.
Jan 21, 2015, 11:23 AM
Thread OP
This ALES thing is really growing. Guys who would never have touched a winch or DLG contest are entering ALES contests and loving it.

In our club, the TD/Winch contest is still the most attended but the ALES is right behind it.

DLG contests almost disappeared but are making somewhat of a comeback. RES died completely as a contest format for the club. We don't run those anymore.
Jan 21, 2015, 11:43 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Indeed...I was hoping for some crossover from the hand launch guys.

Quick Reply