Jan 13, 2015, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

JJRC H9D (Under construction)

INTRODUCTION

After the two first "FPV" toy models, i.e. the Cheerson CX-30S (see https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2309188) and the sky Hawkeye HM1315 (see https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2315399), here is the JJRC"s answer with this H9D. Two versions are proposed: one with a 0.3mpx camera (the model I received) and an upgraded version including a 2mpx camera. The H9D is a micro-size quadcopter equiped of brushed motors like the HM1315. The main goal of this model is to provide in real-time a video stream of the current scene displayed on 4".3 monitor. An interesting feature if want to know what your are currently filming. Even more, if the transmission latency is relatively small, you can in theory fly this quadcopter in "FPV".

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x JJRC H9D (0.3Mpx ed) (with a 1S 650mAh LiPo ending with micro-LOSI connector )
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 6xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB charger cable for the quadricopter LiPo
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 4 x Prop guards
+ 1 x Screwdriver
+ 1 x USB microSD card reader
+ 1 x 2GB microSD card
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English/Chinese)

OVERVIEW

The H9D shell is composed of two plastic parts representing a kind of space ship. The plastic quality of this shell is in the average... without beeing fantastic (probably a recycled pastic).

The camera plug can be find on the left side

Without feet and camera, the H9D scales 106.7g

142.2g with feet, camera and battery

up to 155.8g with prop guards installed... so quiet heavy for a brushed quadcopter. This extra weight will have main probably a negative impact on motor durability. I am strongly advice to order a CW motor and a CCW motor as spare.

Top canopy

As you can see, I drilled a hole in the top part to pass through the RX antenna extending the horizontal range by the way

Bottom side

Red LEDs can be found on front, blue LEds rear

Each landing foot scales 5.5g

From an external point of view, the battery bay seems identical to the H8C model

Motor pods

A total weight of 133g including the battery

LiPo

A 650mAh model ending with micro-LOSI connector and scaling around 18g.

Propeller

Disassembling

Less screws to remove to access internal part compared to the HM1315, that's a good point for maintenance.

The battery bay dimensions are 52mmx28mmx10mm approximatively

It would have been a nice feature to enjoy a power switch, since it's a little bit difficult to close the battery bay with the camera installed on.

The upper part including motor and FC scales 79g standalone

The main FC with a STM ARM core as MCU, the invense 6050C for the 6-axis stabilization and the XN297 as RFchip (compatible with the nRF24L01)

The 2.4G antenna is well trimmed around 31mm

Motors

Motors are 8.5mmx20mm coreless brushed model

No ball bearings installed but some oil bushing increasing by the way friction. They are 3mmx6mmx2mm (IDxODxWidth) so different than H8C model.

Transmitter

6xAA batteries is requiered to power both the TX and the LCD FPV monitor. I noticed that batteries are flattening fast when both TX and the FPV monitor are turned on. A mod would be to install a 2S LiFe/LiPo battery.

The transmitter have two shoulders buttons. The left one is playing with the front central white LED. For example, if you long press on it, this LED starts to flash. The right shoulder button is playing more with the rear LEDs. Probably, the most important is the left vertical trim button. With this latter, by pressing up once, you are intering in intermediate mode and a second time (3 beeps emitted) in expert mode. A H is displayed on the LCD top right part in this case. To calibrate gyroscope, you have to push both sticks in lower-right position.

The RFchip is including the XN297 chip associated with a PA

Actually, the implemented protocol is unknown. I was not able to bind it with the V2x2, Skywlk, syma, SLT protocols for example.

FPV monitor

It's a very basic 4"3 LCD monitor with 5 buttons located on the front panel. The second button is turning on/off the recording video while the third is taken inflight photos. The two last are used to tuned brightness.

No sun shade is provided ... so in day light conditions, it's very hard to see the display. A sun shade is must to have too

A microSD slot is located in the bottom port. a microSD card can be inserted to playback recorded files. The same digital VTX chip is used as for the CX-30s and the HM1315

Camera

With the plastic case, the weight of the FPV module is around 18g.

As for the CX-30S, you can find a microSD slot to welcome the 2GB card. Videos with the 0.3mpx edition are recorded in VGA format@30fps. Light sensitvity is in the average (> 0.5Lux IMHO) and Field of View narrow (around 60 deg). The lens can't be tilted unfortunatly. The lens mount is compatible with the widelens 808#16 lens D model. Installing such widelens model a "must mod to do" if you plan to practice FPV indoors.

JJRC H9D first snapshot sample (0 min 28 sec)

Finally, it's a 2.4G module as for the Cheerson CX-30S or the HM1315.

Well, this module even at 2.4G it's not a WiFi device. Main probably a digital modulation is used. The latency is very good in near range
but frame rate is dropping versus distance. For example, beyond 50m, expect around 12-13fps. Better results can be probably obtained by optimising antennas positioning.

FIRST USAGE

JJRC H9D first outdoors test (Courtesy Banggood) (7 min 44 sec)

CONCLUSIONS

This H9D is the third model "FPV" using this digital 2.4G solution. Since the radio range seems the most solid versus the three models, they probably work to tune the radio protocol to not be in conflict with the the video link part. That's a good point. The H9D is probably the best flyer among the 3, offering 5-6min of fun. The yaw rate is well tuned, not too slow, not too fast. In expert mode, the H9D have nice flying caracteristics. Concerning this new digital 2.4G video link choice, I think for pure "FPV" application, it's not the right choice. One would prefer to have statics but no latency (analog modulation) then a perfect image but with potential latency, especially versus distance. More without a wider lens, it's very hard to fly any of these model indoors. Luckly, the 808#16 lens D can do this job. I think, the application of such model is more to visualize what you are currently filming than FPV. In this case, the 2mpx edition will be a better choice IMHO. Finally, I raise some cautions about the motor's durability especially if you are flying with the prop guard installed. I strongly advise to stock at least 1 CW and 1 CCW motor as spare.

UNBOXING

JJRC H9D (0.3mpx) Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy Banggood) (27 min 25 sec)

PROS

+ Very good flyer, stable with a good power lift
+ Robust video link transmission on the 2.4G band but not WiFi based (> 50m)
+ Best range control over the Cheerson CX-30S and the HM1315 (> 50m)
+ Complete FPV RTF package
+ Cheaper than the HM1315

CONS

- No real 5.8G FPV system but a 2.4G one (limiting control range by consequence)
- No sun shade
- Frame rate dropping versus distance
- Narrow FOV for indoors FPV
- No orientable lens
- No AV out to plug some goggles
- No power switch
- Heavy (with prop guard>155g)=> will have impact on motor's life
- No ball-bearings
- TX's Batteries dying fast with FPV monitor turned on

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 90 USD at
http://www.banggood.com/JJRC-H9D-2_4G-FPV-Digital-Transmission-Quadcopter-with-0_3MP-Camera-p-959745.html

Compatible wide lens model

http://www.banggood.com/Lens-D-Module-120-Degree-with-case-for-808--16-HD-Camera-Camcorder-720P-Mini-DV-p-906428.html

Compatible ballbearings model

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-MJX-F47-F647-RC-Helicopter-Spare-Parts-Bearing-p-57426.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Jul 19, 2015 at 01:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2015, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for photos, video and mods
Jan 13, 2015, 02:52 PM
The New DaVinci
Hey SeBy, as always you have done a complete and unbiased review. I don't think I'm going to like the 2.4 Ghz digital Video from the sounds of it but maybe after you tweak the antenna's it may get better. I have NO IDEA where the Chinese get the idea of putting the red lights in the front and the clear or another color in the rear, ALL vehicles have the red/brake lights/tail lights in the rear and yellow/ another color up front, I would believe the red would be easier to see and better to orientate the Quad with them in the rear. When I get a new Quad I always change the lights around if at all possible. Hopefully they read your reviews and if we get enough people to comment on this subject maybe they will change the set ups. Again SeBy another great review.
Jan 13, 2015, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo76
Hey SeBy, as always you have done a complete and unbiased review. I don't think I'm going to like the 2.4 Ghz digital Video from the sounds of it but maybe after you tweak the antenna's it may get better. I have NO IDEA where the Chinese get the idea of putting the red lights in the front and the clear or another color in the rear, ALL vehicles have the red/brake lights/tail lights in the rear and yellow/ another color up front, I would believe the red would be easier to see and better to orientate the Quad with them in the rear. When I get a new Quad I always change the lights around if at all possible. Hopefully they read your reviews and if we get enough people to comment on this subject maybe they will change the set ups. Again SeBy another great review.
The same I don't understand some choices .... well maybe for the video part, they didn't want to have problems of certification (emitted power) with a 5.8G solution.. Or in their head, customers won't accept to see any statics ... or as already mentioned, they got an amazing price for this chip. For the LED color positionning .... it's strange it's true ...but if you really want, you can swap LEDs ....
Jan 13, 2015, 03:13 PM
Yes... I wonder what power these digital 2.4Ghz vtx's are transmitting at. Maybe they would be really good if they were powerful enough, let's say around 200mW.
Jan 13, 2015, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trase
Yes... I wonder what power these digital 2.4Ghz vtx's are transmitting at. Maybe they would be really good if they were powerful enough, let's say around 200mW.
I don't think so .... For example for the WiFi techno, power is limited to 100mW. So I vote more for 100mW. But don't forget that waves are more penetrating in 2.4G than in 5.8G. This is why, you can cross easily 2 or 3 walls ... with this digital solution
Jan 13, 2015, 10:39 PM
HighFlyGuy
Just a tip, I use rechargeable sanyo eneloop batteries in all my things. They last a long long time, not too expensive, but are great!
Jan 14, 2015, 01:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by highflyguy
Just a tip, I use rechargeable sanyo eneloop batteries in all my things. They last a long long time, not too expensive, but are great!
Yes, they are probably the best rechargeable AA batteries
Jan 14, 2015, 10:02 AM
Thread OP
I recorded a new video with the H9D

JJRC H9D outdoors flight w/a inboard recording (Courtesy Banggood) (5 min 33 sec)
Jan 14, 2015, 10:12 AM
We would believe the actual red-colored would be better to find and far better to orientate the quad with them while in the backed.
Jan 14, 2015, 10:33 AM
Any chance to know the voltage for monitor? 1 sell 3.7v would be nice. And if the cam is compatible with h138. H8c?
Jan 14, 2015, 10:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovrus
Any chance to know the voltage for monitor? 1 sell 3.7v would be nice. And if the cam is compatible with h138. H8c?
The minitor can be powered by a 1 cell LiPo as for the HM1315
Jan 23, 2015, 07:56 PM
TREE TOP PILOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
The minitor can be powered by a 1 cell LiPo as for the HM1315

HI IS there a link to that battery for the monitor ? Ive been looking cant find.
Jan 23, 2015, 08:00 PM
TREE TOP PILOT
Also my cam dont work it gets warm like its getting power but no worky. Is there a lite on the cam when its on or no thanks,,,
Jan 24, 2015, 01:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdumby
Also my cam dont work it gets warm like its getting power but no worky. Is there a lite on the cam when its on or no thanks,,,
No light/Led when turned on ....

For a lipo, you will need to solder two wires to the switch connector
For example : http://www.banggood.com/Huawei-3195-RC-Quadcopter-3_7V-300mAh-Lipo-Battery-p-78070.html

Quick Reply