Jan 13, 2015, 11:10 AM
Don't leave it Stock
Thread OP
Discussion

Mini KK2.1 (witespy) and my 300mm Tri

I've done some searching and really could find no thread on Witespy's mini KK2.1

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...d-36x36mm.html

I've been gathering a hodge podge of parts to build a 300 size tri just for fun and racing around. My collection of Tri's are 900mm and mostly 450ish size.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1886581

When I first saw the mini KK2 board with the available 4:1 esc board I knew this was my ticket for a very clean tri.

This is how my build went using Witespy's controller and esc setup. It was a learning curve and took some time to figure it out. End results are acceptable and just need to fine tune the FC now.

I picked up a few frame parts, RCExplorer frame (whoo signature series), rotor bones tilt, and flite test landing gear, at least I believe that the parts used.

I had on hand T- motors 1100kv and like running HQ 8x4.5 props. So I thought lets tighten everything up and see what happens.

I like using 1/2" U alum Channel from the local hardware for my arms. Just my preference is all. Freshly powder coated.

I started off by using standoffs to mount the esc board under the top plate and direct soldering the motor leads to the board. Cut my arms with a bevel to clear everything when folded up, ran 2 battery leads , 1 for the main battery, either 1800 3s or 2200 3s, and spare for voltage to KK board or seperate bec.

Tail was assembled using a Hitec HS5055 MG servo and linkage. Seems nice and tight, we'll see how long it lasts.

After getting it all together and checking motor rotations, ha 2 out of 3 needed changed. I realized calibrating thru the KK was not working, literally 5 hrs playing around with it to no avail. Finally I decided to cut the 3 signal leads and calibrate each individually thru my Tx and still had limited success. When I'd spool up the motors I'd get a nasty clunky sound and than sometimes start up and other times have to reboot. So I started checking connections, pushing on plugs and than it happened.

I actually snapped off the input receiver connection on the mini KK2 board, now mind you this is 11pm at night after spending the whole day building this thing.
Frustrated was putting it mildly. After calming down a bit, I checked it out under my magnifiers and saw it was a very clean break, actually snapped the legs in half and no pulled traces from board. Nothing to lose by trying to resolder them, midnight or so I resoldered the legs back down, plugged it all back together and whats the chances It WORKS, but heres the kicker, no more stutters at all.

All 3 motors are spooling perfectly and sound superb. I'm not sure what all happened but I do know it works perfectly now. I was able to hover and do some light flying in my very tight living room (1am lol) and was very pleased with the outcome.

Next morning I got ahead and tidy it all up. Mount my FPV gear and am quite pleased with the final outcome. Was able to do some quick LOS flights outsdie and with some fine tuning will be happy with it.

Vids etc later on with the weather cooperates. I'm really excited about the size and I believe it will fly fine for me. Time will tell.

BTW when Witespy says not for the timid as far as soldering he's not mistaken at all. I've had a few years of experience and this was a fun one.
Last edited by mrfliboy; Jan 13, 2015 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2015, 03:40 PM
It's an obsession. ..
Looking Good! Sounds like maybe the input legs were already kinda broken and your breaking and soldering fixed that... Ive been interested in the rcexplorer frame too. Making it a mini is an awesome idea.
Mar 18, 2015, 06:00 PM
Don't leave it Stock
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawagner
Looking Good! Sounds like maybe the input legs were already kinda broken and your breaking and soldering fixed that... Ive been interested in the rcexplorer frame too. Making it a mini is an awesome idea.
Thanks getting her dialed in now. It'll be a fun one.

Quick Reply