Jan 12, 2015, 07:35 PM
Nothing but high quality
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking for a Beta tester for and 3d printed FPV mini V-Quad!

Rocketman1092 is a great friend of mine and he recently designed a fantastic 3d printed tricopter. He mentioned there was interest in a V-quad and suggested I design one for the community. I just recently finished the design and am looking for a beta tester for the airframe. It is printing on my homemade printer as I write this!

Attached are some photos of the designed aircraft.

It was designed around 5 inch props with Sunnsky 2204 motors and the PZ0420M FPV Camera

Let me know if there is interest or questions about the airframe. Once I'm happy with the quality of the airframe and how it flys I can print more kits for those who are interested.
Last edited by Dadude; Jan 12, 2015 at 07:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2015, 07:37 PM
Oops! There goes a prop...
Sounds interesting! Do you have photos of the frame? What is the diagonal measurement?
Jan 12, 2015, 07:49 PM
Nothing but high quality
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by neighhoma
Sounds interesting! Do you have photos of the frame? What is the diagonal measurement?
It's a 250 sized frame. Or very close to it. The center rear most section of the V-arm intersects the 250 mm diameter. I updated my original post to show pictures of the frame.
Last edited by Dadude; Jan 12, 2015 at 08:13 PM.
Jan 12, 2015, 07:50 PM
Nothing but high quality
Thread OP
Freshly printed rear arms! The main frame is currently printing.
Jan 14, 2015, 06:38 PM
Nothing but high quality
Thread OP
More printed parts! She's almost done, just need's a top cover.
Jan 15, 2015, 10:45 PM
I buy ikarus piccolo/Eco8 stuf
That looks great!
what is the weight of the frame? I printed Rocketmans tricopter and it looked awesome but my autotune destroyed it
I have always been curious about these v-tail designs.

Let me know if you plan to release the files. I will print one up and try it out!
Jan 16, 2015, 11:23 AM

Looking for a Beta tester for and 3d printed FPV mini V-Quad!

Hi dadude,

Looking great! I have all the necessary extra electronics and motors. If you want me to try it let me know been looking for a vtail but armattans are so expensive. Am flying Eric's tricopter currently too.

Have a makerbot r2 and some time so you could just send me the STL files for me to print if you would like me to try. Let me know what license would you want your design to be too.

Cheers, great design! Only one issue I have so far common with the designs by yourself and Eric is that the battery bay needs batteries of very stringent dimensions. I'm currently using dinogy 1300s but if you all could rework and make it a slight bit more roomy it would be perfect.
Jan 16, 2015, 11:27 AM
The New DaVinci
I'd be very interested in something like this, let me know please and we'll put it thru the wringer
Jan 16, 2015, 01:53 PM
Nothing but high quality
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifrek
That looks great!
what is the weight of the frame? I printed Rocketmans tricopter and it looked awesome but my autotune destroyed it
I have always been curious about these v-tail designs.

Let me know if you plan to release the files. I will print one up and try it out!
I absolutely plan on releasing the files. I just want to make sure I'm happy with the design and how it flies before I put my name on them.

Don't have a scale to weight it but it looks like the frame is going to come in around 160grams (according to mattercontrol)

Quote:
Looking great! I have all the necessary extra electronics and motors. If you want me to try it let me know been looking for a vtail but armattans are so expensive. Am flying Eric's tricopter currently too.

Have a makerbot r2 and some time so you could just send me the STL files for me to print if you would like me to try. Let me know what license would you want your design to be too.

Cheers, great design! Only one issue I have so far common with the designs by yourself and Eric is that the battery bay needs batteries of very stringent dimensions. I'm currently using dinogy 1300s but if you all could rework and make it a slight bit more roomy it would be perfect.
Excellent, yeah I can send the stl's your way! I only ask that you don't share them publicly. I'd like to make sure that it flies well and there aren't any major design flaws before I release it. PM and we can work out the details.

Quote:
I'd be very interested in something like this, let me know please and we'll put it thru the wringer
Send me a pm and we can work out the details! I have 2 kits ready to ship out!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Jan 16, 2015, 02:06 PM
PM sent dude.

Btw some feedback after looking at the photos more. Eric's tri was a hit in part because of the curves he thrown in into the body. If you could add some styling flair especially towards the front part it might appeal more. It breaks up the boxiness of the body lines and makes it a little more futuristic looking.

This is very subjective but just my 2 cents worth (maybe 1 cent). It's off to a great start though!
Jan 16, 2015, 03:57 PM
Nothing but high quality
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopdreams
PM sent dude.

Btw some feedback after looking at the photos more. Eric's tri was a hit in part because of the curves he thrown in into the body. If you could add some styling flair especially towards the front part it might appeal more. It breaks up the boxiness of the body lines and makes it a little more futuristic looking.

This is very subjective but just my 2 cents worth (maybe 1 cent). It's off to a great start though!
Eric was suggesting I make the inner space as large as possibly to be easier to fit the electronics. It's not the prettiest thing, but I was shooting for more functionality than looks.
Jan 16, 2015, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadude
Eric was suggesting I make the inner space as large as possibly to be easier to fit the electronics. It's not the prettiest thing, but I was shooting for more functionality than looks.
Well functionality over form. I think you are on the right approach. Get the functionality up first then once that's nailed down focus on the looks.

Got the files, will print them, assemble, and update this thread. A little bit of a hell week for me but by next weekend should have something.
Jan 17, 2015, 08:57 PM
Nothing but high quality
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopdreams
Well functionality over form. I think you are on the right approach. Get the functionality up first then once that's nailed down focus on the looks.

Got the files, will print them, assemble, and update this thread. A little bit of a hell week for me but by next weekend should have something.
Very cool! Thanks!
Jan 18, 2015, 06:13 AM
This thing looks awesome.

What's the deal with the tilted rear motors like that? Does it have an advantage over the conventional mini quad type setup?

Quick Reply