Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 02, 2015, 07:14 AM
Soaring Fanatic!

Backstay Bowsies & Jib Spring removal

The rear steel backstays have finally been swapped for micro bowsies. These two turned out much better than the first one As stated earlier the spring was removed and I was able to tie the jib down at about the same length with the same fishline used for the rest of the boat.

As shown in the photo, Lee helm and weather helm are easily accomplished now. I'm convinced that a Spreader needs to be made as changing the helm introduces a significant amount of flex across the beam. A longer backstay crane would be great as well so a little more sail area can be squeezed in at the top.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2015, 03:12 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by micromodder
…….
Joysway is redesigning their website right now, if i click on any of the options it goes straight to a page advertising the Joysway Blackjack 29 catamaran...Then if I click on the BJ29 info it goes to a page for the Proboat Westward sailboat.Just play around on the website for a minute and you'll see what I'm saying.

http://www.joysway-hobby.com/products/

Since my Litehawk hull came in a Tamiya box id be willing to bet Tamiya makes the parts, then Joysway assembles/distributes.The new Proboat Recoil/Super Mono X clone is another clue that Joysway does a lot of work for Proboat.
After you mentioned this, it got me thinking…. The place I saw the neat little Joysway catamaran was a Tamiya shop! Never realized it before but the only non-Tamiya products other than the usual ESCs, batteries, etc. were Joysway products. They had a Yamaha Round the World Yacht too for around $500.

I'm going to visit them again if possible.
Feb 03, 2015, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thelephant
After you mentioned this, it got me thinking…. The place I saw the neat little Joysway catamaran was a Tamiya shop! Never realized it before but the only non-Tamiya products other than the usual ESCs, batteries, etc. were Joysway products. They had a Yamaha Round the World Yacht too for around $500.

I'm going to visit them again if possible.
Here's another version of our sailboat

http://www.ninco-tm.ch/fr/product/ni...-mini-sailboat
Feb 03, 2015, 02:20 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Great find. It looks like the older version with spreaders. I'm now looking for some tiny eye hook screws and S-Hooks. The S-Hooks could possibly be bent with jewelry pliers or using a wood block and pins.
Feb 04, 2015, 04:36 PM
Harbor freight has nice micro plier/wire cutter kits.You might be able to make your own from thick paper clips.

Last night I was researching these boats on the overseas websites, key words like segelboot helps alot.I found a forum where a guy completely overhauled one of these boats including custom paint, but it wouldn't let me view the photos since I'm not a member and registration only works for Ger/Aus/Swe ip adresses.

I did find a video I can post of the Graupner in high winds.If you skip to the 6:00 mark you can see why I originally started shifting my boats weight around.With the stock aaa batteries the bow dives instead of planing.Your boat should be lighting fast now once you tune it a bit more.

Graupner/SJ "Soil" Rc Mini Sailingboat 2.4GHz (8 min 28 sec)
Feb 06, 2015, 04:57 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Nice video find micromodder
Yea, I was playing with helm and it does make a noticeable difference. The Jib Luff tension seems to a big factor and I was tightening it quite a bit to get the right swing/feel. Wish we could see that forum, as I'm sure there's lots more we can do with this tiny sailboat.
Feb 06, 2015, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thelephant
Nice video find micromodder
Yea, I was playing with helm and it does make a noticeable difference. The Jib Luff tension seems to a big factor and I was tightening it quite a bit to get the right swing/feel. Wish we could see that forum, as I'm sure there's lots more we can do with this tiny sailboat.
This was the website I found the painted boat on, you'll need to translate it through google.There's a few discussions about these boats on that website though.

http://www.rc-sealords.de/viewtopic....=9595&start=18

One of the members mentioned a Graupner Nano Yacht...I want one lol
Feb 07, 2015, 11:44 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Sounds like the spring needs to be changed from the forum's point of view too. Really wish they weren't so secretive and select with registration so we could see the photos. I'm most curious at how their new sails turned out.

Cute little yacht. Needs some scale details and probably a better powerplant. I have to say that the ProBoat offerings really do feel more Hobby Grade than toylike as you stated earlier.
Feb 08, 2015, 07:37 PM
I registered on that forum the other night, but I couldn't give accurate information on my location and stuff so hopefully they don't write me off as spam.

The BJ9 is kind of special, its pretty wide plus the 3rd trim tab just gives it that fully loaded feel.The tiny solid shaft kills me though, I like the way I can fit a barbwire prop shaft into the Magic Vees stuffing tube.But I think they are all hobby grade, most of the 2in1 esc/rx's have external outputs like Tactic gear does.I need to try using the stock units as a rx for a brushless upgrade more often.

Have you seen the video of the new Binary catamaran sailboat?It looks fast for is size

Ripmax - Joysway Binary Micro Catamaran Yacht RTR 2.4GHz (B-JS-8807R & B-JS-8807B) (0 min 53 sec)
Last edited by micromodder; Feb 08, 2015 at 07:42 PM.
Feb 10, 2015, 05:38 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Hmmm, it really does look quite fast. Hopefully the price will drop enough for me to give it a chance. I mini Trimaran would also be nice since they're a bit more stable than the cats.

BJ9: Indeed, the center tab does have an effect. I wasn't sure at first till it was bent down a little more than stock and the hull started to level out better under full throttle
Apr 02, 2015, 07:23 AM
Soaring Fanatic!

Binary

OK, curiosity got the best of me and I finally ordered one of these. The beginnings of a review are here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2376821

Quick Reply