Jan 12, 2015, 06:41 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Graupner (GM) Soil - Mini Footy (Same as the Caribbean)

I went to the AMA show expecting to pick up another slope glider and ended up with this!
The GM Soil - Graupner 92301 - Soil Segelboot RTR, 2.4 GHz

At the moment, Atomic RC is out of stock of the Caribbean and Graupner was offering their version for the same price at the show.

First of all, you'll notice that the Soil looks almost exactly like the Joysway Caribbean. This is because they are nearly identical from what I see online; with a few exceptions. (Those of you who own the Caribbean, please let me know if any of my observations are incorrect)
Last edited by 8thelephant; Jan 29, 2015 at 04:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2015, 06:42 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP

Some differences between the Soil & Caribbean

Edit: It looks like there were a few versions of this boat and some pre-production photos online, but the current models of the Caribbean and Soil are now exactly the same except for the graphics. So please disregard the comments below if you have the current 2.4Ghz model of either ship

The first thing I noticed it that there is no screw holding down the Soil hatch as with the Caribbean.
The table on the deck is simply twisted left or right to release the hatch.

Next, it seems that the Soil has nice little rubber sliders on both booms for adjustment which occur after the connection points.
The Caribbean has the strings tied to the connection points which you'd have to untie to adjust.

It's unclear if this varies by version, but the Soil has a spring connecting the Jib Boom to the deck; whereas the Caribbean is string.

The Soil uses 3 AAA batteries mounted above the servos in a holder by a screw.
This is both a good and bad solution as the batteries are kept away from water should there be a leak, but are also a pain to insert/remove. See photo for more on this.

Both models appear to have metal rods for the Forestay and Backstay and a carbon fiber mast. The both have metal keels and 9 gram servos for both rudder and sheets.
Neither has shrouds either, but I'm not sure if they are needed on a ship this small.
Last edited by 8thelephant; Jan 13, 2015 at 06:29 AM.
Jan 12, 2015, 06:44 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP

Rudder Control rod and Battery Housing.

One thing I noticed immediately after opening the hatch is that the servo horn had to be trimmed very far aft to achieve a straight rudder and then there would be lack of travel turing left. So I unscrewed the battery holder and discovered the control rod needed to be straightened to get it all working properly.

Another thing that was irksome was the way batteries are loaded into the holder. You push the bottom two AAs towards the bow and the have to load the top one while holding the spring back. The whole assembly isn't very tight and the top battery could easily jump out of the housing if not tied down. Thus a rubber band was installed too.
Last edited by 8thelephant; Jan 12, 2015 at 07:43 AM.
Jan 12, 2015, 07:12 AM
Looks like the same radio that comes with the Dragon Force and Force 2 catamaran

They are Ok
Jan 12, 2015, 07:20 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Yup, my guess is they are very similar if not exactly the same. If I ever take this ship far out into the lake; I'll swap the receiver for one of my epoxy coated DSMX receivers.
Jan 12, 2015, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thelephant
The first thing I noticed it that there is no screw holding down the Soil hatch as with the Caribbean.
The table on the deck is simply twisted left or right to release the hatch.

Next, it seems that the Soil has nice little rubber sliders on both booms for adjustment which occur after the connection points.
The Caribbean has the strings tied to the connection points which you'd have to untie to adjust.

It's unclear if this varies by version, but the Soil has a spring connecting the Jib Boom to the deck; whereas the Caribbean is string.

The Soil uses 3 AAA batteries mounted above the servos in a holder by a screw.
This is both a good and bad solution as the batteries are kept away from water should there be a leak, but are also a pain to insert/remove. See photo for more on this.

Both models appear to have metal rods for the Forestay and Backstay and a carbon fiber mast. The both have metal keels and 9 gram servos for both rudder and sheets.
Neither has shrouds either, but I'm not sure if they are needed on a ship this small.
Except for the graphics its identical to the Caribbean.They both use the table as a latch, have the spring on the deck, metal rings holding the sails onto the boom, etc.
Jan 12, 2015, 04:23 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Thanks for the info micromodder. Does the Caribbean have little rubber adjustment rings for the strings/sheets as well?
Jan 12, 2015, 10:52 PM
Yes it does.

My bow is full of floatation foam.Living in Indiana the closest I can get to a Volvo Ocean Race is sailing the Caribbean out and waiting for a real boat to come by when there's a bit of wind so I can try surfing the wake like its in a storm.In the right conditions it will plane lol.

I spun the AAA battery tray around 180* once last summer and the bow didn't dive as bad in high winds.It was hard turning the power on though (I had to use tweezers) so I switched back to the standard setup.I'm going to switch to lipo this spring and try adding my own ballast low in the hull, further aft.
Jan 13, 2015, 04:21 AM
@micromodder:
You may find some of the smaller LiFe batteries more suitable than LiPo. Try the 700mah ones from HobbyKing. Battery weighs 40 grams.
Jan 13, 2015, 06:38 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Thanks for clearing this up micromodder.

Since this boat has only 2 light duty servos, you could use the LiFe Source 200mah battery (http://www.lifesourcebatteries.com/hcam6402.html), a 240+mah Lipo (5V BEC recommended) or even a 1/3 AA 480mAh NiMh pack (http://www.alofthobbies.com/4-8v-480-1-3aa-flat.html). A lot of us DLG Glider pilots also use 950+mAh 1 Cell lips with a 5V battery booster which will easily drive 4 servos for a long flight. Most of these are under 40g so you could add or remove additional ballast when needed and upgrade to tougher/heavier metal gear servos for better performance.

I'm really liking the overall build quality of this little ship even though it's not as fast as my Fortune 612 or Seawind. Sometimes it's nice to have something simple and easy to modify. If only there was a catamaran version to play with too.

-8th
Last edited by 8thelephant; Jan 13, 2015 at 06:45 AM.
Jan 13, 2015, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpenguin
@micromodder:
You may find some of the smaller LiFe batteries more suitable than LiPo. Try the 700mah ones from HobbyKing. Battery weighs 40 grams.
Thanks alot, I just got an Imax B6AC charger so I should be able to use those.

Quote:

Since this boat has only 2 light duty servos, you could use the LiFe Source 200mah battery (http://www.lifesourcebatteries.com/hcam6402.html), a 240+mah Lipo (5V BEC recommended) or even a 1/3 AA 480mAh NiMh pack (http://www.alofthobbies.com/4-8v-480-1-3aa-flat.html). A lot of us DLG Glider pilots also use 950+mAh 1 Cell lips with a 5V battery booster which will easily drive 4 servos for a long flight. Most of these are under 40g so you could add or remove additional ballast when needed and upgrade to tougher/heavier metal gear servos for better performance.

I'm really liking the overall build quality of this little ship even though it's not as fast as my Fortune 612 or Seawind. Sometimes it's nice to have something simple and easy to modify. If only there was a catamaran version to play with too.

-8th
No problem, the Litehawk Whisper is also the same hull, mast, sails, etc, but it comes stock with a 3.7v lipo.They probably just learnd the hull better.I bought a set of Whisper sails, they are the same if you ever want a different look, or something to trim down for different wind conditions.

http://litehawkshop.ca/collections/w...lacement-parts

In this video you can see how stable it is without the aaa setup above the waterline.With a little tuning and stronger winds these things can be fast for how small they are.Without the aaa setup Litehawk even advertises the Whisper as self righting in other videos

Litehawk Whisper Sailing Yacht (0 min 29 sec)
Jan 13, 2015, 05:38 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Ooooh, great info micromodder!
It's totally silly to have the weight of the battery so far above the hull bottom. A drop of epoxy at the cord exit would probably seal most shrink wrapped batteries good enough to keep the water out.

Nice to see there is somewhere we can buy replacement parts if need be. Minimum shipping in the USA is $8.50 though.
Looks like the Whisper costs around USD $80 from Canada.

-8th
Last edited by 8thelephant; Jan 13, 2015 at 05:44 PM.
Jan 13, 2015, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Ooooh, great info micromodder!
It's totally silly to have the weight of the battery so far above the hull bottom. A drop of epoxy at the cord exit would probably seal most shrink wrapped batteries good enough to keep the water out.

Nice to see there is somewhere we can buy replacement parts if need be. Minimum shipping in the USA is $8.50 though.
Looks like the Whisper costs around USD $80 from Canada.

-8th
I think Canadas shipping has its ups and downs.Last year I ordered a Chase Catamaran hull from them and shipping was under $5.Btw the hull I bought from Litehawk came in a Tamiya box maybe we need to start bugging Tamiya for more micro hulls.
Jan 13, 2015, 08:34 PM
Quote:

-8th
I've been bookmarking good info that I've valued for tuning a footy, or small sailboat in general.I might as well post it and share.

"If weight can be saved anywhere above the waterline in a boat then it increases the righting moment of the boat. This is because the bulb weight percentage of the whole boat increases as the rest of the boat is lightenned. Where a Footy is designed around lightweight servos like the Pond Sprite then the saved weight can also be added to the bulb weight to further increase the ‘stiffness’ of the boat. This stiffnes translates into the ability to carry more sail at less heal angle, all other things being equal."

I found that in the part of this link that's talking about using a lighter sail servo.

https://lifewithafooty.wordpress.com/page/6/

"Techniques used to promote planing in a sailing boat

Sail on a reach or broad reach to begin
Raise the centreboard or daggerboard about half way
When a gust hits, bear away slightly and ease the sheets
Keep the hull level side-to-side, trapeze if necessary
MOVE YOUR WEIGHT AFT TO LIFT THE BOW
Flick or pump the sails (although there are some restrictions on doing this in a race)
If there are waves, surf down them to initiate planing
As the gust begins to pass, steer slightly to windward to keep the apparent wind forward"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planing_(boat)
Jan 14, 2015, 11:05 AM
Interesting Sail boat by Graupner. Indeed compact . How does it handle? I own 2 footys : 507 from Australia (Kit) and an older Blackstar Footy . Both are fun to sail. On stronger winds I employ my larger North Wind.
Side note- I 'm one of the many looking for a GRAUPNER MICRO MAGIC KIT or RTS . Hard to find in the USA

Again thanks for sharing!
Last edited by instrblah; Jan 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling correction :)

Quick Reply