Top RC Models Mk IX full Composite Spitfire-a game changer - RC Groups
Jan 11, 2015, 06:24 PM
New Product

Top RC Models Mk IX full Composite Spitfire-a game changer

Greetings all Warbird Fans,

Magnum RC introduces the first of it's kind in a build review of the Top RC Models, hereafter known as TRCM, in reference to the new MkIV Spitfire. The unit arrived on my doorstep and the first thing I noticed that never happened before is when the female delivery driver was packing the 55" crate in one arm and her paperwork in the other, I was clued in about this company's new "Sandwich Composite" Technology. The crate was extremely light. Personally, I have never experienced a full composite Warbird with a weight like this. I unpacked the crate and also noticed that their packaging was unique in that all of the parts were suspended inside the crate without touching each other.. You just lift the foam ribs, and begin removing parts. I examined all parts and everything is cherry. Another thing I noticed was the scale like hinging, and it is all predone. No fussing around here, just a drop of epoxy in the holes and it went together quickly. Another love, is the fiberboard control horns, all predone and preslotted. The control rod to the elevator is pre made, the hatch is preinstalled and aligned the tailwheel assembly is done and ready to install. Three screws on a plate and done. I have weighed each piece of this plane and was surprised to discover that the fuselage weighs in at 3 lbs. The wings WITH the aluminum tubes installed in them weigh two lbs. each. I am installing the EME 35cc engine because for a 35 it is an animal, all of the EME engines are. This engine will cowl in with a pitts muffler, well you have to make cooling holes. With the retracts installed, the engine installed, all of the batteries, the aluminum spinner and prop with all of the radio gear, I would be surprised if the entire weight of the plane breaks 18lbs. for a 1/5 scale Warbird. This plane is so completely preassembled, I am confident it could be flying in two days of arrival. See pics, this is the first installment of this build thread for this awesome Spit. I will post more pics as assembly progresses. Can't wait to fly her.
Last edited by Magnumrc.com; Jan 18, 2015 at 02:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2015, 08:15 PM

Cost of kit?

Where did you get this from? And it cost.....
Jan 11, 2015, 11:00 PM
Hi Tailskid,

In direct answer to your question, this plane is made in China, the place where most of our RC ARF's are made. Perhaps you were implying how is this available within the US?

Magnum RC is a dealer for the new line that is funneling into the US market offering many benefits in design and construction. All of the Warbird ARF models are trying to up their game to win your dollar and favor. Top RC Models is one of the newest and they are coming in with full steam ahead. The "Sandwich Composite" construction is their feature, their game changer, for there hasn't been anything like it as yet to be introduced for the money. It is light, and strong with 40% less resin. This plane is DESIGNED for choice... engine or electric. There will be a perfect electric power package offered as stock, but you as a modeler can take it from there. The EME 35cc engine is my choice, it's new technology also makes it in the same class, a game changer for power to weight.

As far as a cost, the importer has yet to firm up the final price. There were a few sold direct to "seed" the US market with the 1st version at a below wholesale price to a lucky few who acted on the offer, and didn't hesitate. This is gone. The price we have it right now is $699.95; but it can be changed at a moments notice after the planes arrival and the "landed" costs are reviewed by the importer. I see them being advertised in Australia for close to $900. Full composite technology is the "exquisite" purchase for the American and Canadian Warbird fan. All you have to do, is look at the most successful full composite enterprise in America, Comp ARF USA to understand what it takes to build and design full composite airplanes.

The next plane that will be available for pre-order in mid February is a full composite 93" 60cc class A6M5 Japanese Zero. We are delighted to offer our expertise and be a part of this new passion for Warbirds here in the U.S.

More pictures and comments later this week as we examine the inside of the plane and begin the build.
Jan 11, 2015, 11:07 PM
RC Warjet
This should be in the Vendor Forum, as you are intending to sell the line.
Jan 11, 2015, 11:48 PM
First and foremost, I wanted this to be a step by step build thread showing the features and things of the sort. For I have the pleasure of getting to build and fly it so for the rest of you guys if you ask you about pricing , availability no more discussions here in regards. I am a modeler for 20 years and AM passionate for my warbirds.
Jan 12, 2015, 12:00 AM
RC Warjet
That's great, but you are still advertising a line of planes you are presenting for sale, which is what the vendor forum is for.
Jan 12, 2015, 02:04 AM
2 many planes & 2 little time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warjet1950
That's great, but you are still advertising a line of planes you are presenting for sale, which is what the vendor forum is for.
Let him show his new warbird. I doesn't take but one post to make the reader aware of the intentions of the modeler.
I'd like to see more
Jan 12, 2015, 06:39 AM
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
Subscribed!

Sounds very interesting, can you provide more details:
- Fuselage internals: formers, servo plate
- Dual servos for elevators? pushrods or pull-pull?
- Rudder and tailwheel linkages?
- What do you mean scale aileron hinging? is the pivot line inside the aileron at 25% MAC?
- What size spinner, is it included?

And excuse my directness but a 1/5 warbird should not be put together and flown in 2 days, its not an RTF foamie!

What is really missing in the 1/5 warbird market is affordable composite ARFs that are faithful to scale lines, well-built and reliable (i.e. spend 2 weeks building and finishing it rather than correcting mistakes and reinforcing weak areas ... :-(
Jan 12, 2015, 08:22 AM
Let's see it!
Jan 12, 2015, 03:07 PM
Same Day Delivery
Shirley you must have a Flight Vidio ?
Jan 12, 2015, 03:16 PM
Please don't call me Shirley.
Jan 12, 2015, 03:23 PM
2 many planes & 2 little time
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW
Please don't call me Shirley.
Yes Dear.
Jan 12, 2015, 06:04 PM
Make me a Gloster Gladiator!
Seems like a nice Spitfire. Need details.

It is a Mk. IX not a Mk. IV . Only one Mk.IV was ever made.....
Jan 12, 2015, 11:58 PM
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
There was a video posted earlier by the producer: Flight video

It does look to be very light, watch the slow flight no-flaps pass at 04:10
Jan 14, 2015, 09:50 PM
OK, here we go... Here are a couple of pics of the fuselage internals as requested. The first thing we notice is the different color of the fiberglass. It is the new "Sandwich" technology that the plane gets it lightness from The inside is very well structured and lightened. The "box" that extends from the inside of the plane continues on to the outside of the plane and forms the firewall section IF you want to install an engine, you stop here, and epoxy and reinforce the engine firewall. So far, I have verified that the DLE 35RA will fit and cowl in the cowl. The cowl is large, 7" x7" by 12" but the cowl slips over the entire assembly and lays into the grooves on the fuselage making it practically invisible. The cowl mounts are already installed. Another feature is the preinstalled hinges. They use guiding pins as you bring the control surfaces to the trailing edge of the stab and wing. These pins locate the elevator and the aileron and all you have to do is put a drop of epoxy in the hole where the pin hinges move into. I loved it. Never has a warbird been this easy to put together. Notice the fiberboard control horn already to go, all you do is a drop of epoxy and it is ready to hook up. The bolt on the front of the fuselage is there to help with ignition module and battery installation.