Guillows #801 Camel; new build and approach - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 09, 2015, 12:45 AM
Discussion

Guillows #801 Camel; new build and approach

The other Camel builds have inspired me, so I'm ready to give this project lots of effort.
I like the kit plastic parts, and they look great on the other builds I've seen. The shape of the model as designed seems quite scale too.

So here's what I want to do;
Using the Guillow plans to build on, I want to build structures that look similar to the full size ac, which may accomplish two things. First, an overall lighter model and then, better scale appearance.
The flying surfaces will be built very light, with external wires providing support. Looped thread controls should help keep weight down, along with careful covering and finish choices.
I will use the Guillow plans to build on, but change the structures as I go.
No pictures yet. All comments and advice welcome!!
John
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2015, 08:22 AM
Round engines & two wings...
Watching!
Jan 10, 2015, 10:51 AM
Very innovative. I will subscribe.

Jim
Jan 10, 2015, 05:46 PM
Thanks Jim and Ace!
There are a few tools needed to work with this 1/16" tubing. I cut it with an Atlas razor saw, or by rolling a #11 blade across it. A set of small files are needed, and a nice tool to have is a set of micro reamers. I use these reamers on lots of projects.

Fin-rudder is complete, so it's on to the fuselage next.
The tail group weighs 6 grams as is.
John
Jan 10, 2015, 07:15 PM
Round engines & two wings...
Very cool! Are you familiar with the K&S tubing cutter? ~ Brad
Last edited by WWI_Flying_Ace; Jan 10, 2015 at 07:25 PM.
Jan 10, 2015, 07:18 PM
Do you have a link where to get these tools? Thank you.

Stephen
Jan 11, 2015, 10:48 AM
I think I spot an old model railroader here. The Atlas saw is sold by the Atlas track company for cutting model railroad track. Had one years ago. Also might I be seeing an old piece of Homosote?

Camel parts look amazing. Really true to scale.

Jim
Jan 11, 2015, 04:34 PM
Thank you gents.
These tools can be found at: Model Expo, Micro-Mark, and eBay.

Jim, thanks for the kind words. I'm not an ex-rail hobbyist, but I used to work in a hobby shop. The train guys would swear by these saws, so I just followed their advice. I have been using them now for years.
Brad, I use the K&S cutter, it's a good tool. But it doesn't work too well for me on this little stuff, it messes the tube up. The saw works when trimming completed structures, and when cutting from straight tube, a quick roll of the knife blade and gentle bend does well.
J
Jan 12, 2015, 08:11 PM
Branjo
I really like this John. Looks awesome and it's something that will continue to look as such even after you cover it. Looking forward to seeing it come together.
Branden
Jan 12, 2015, 11:16 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Have you thought about soldering the aluminum tubing??

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Jan 13, 2015, 01:20 PM
Hey Branden, thanks for checking in. This is a very interesting project for me. I'm especially liking the compact size of it. You might see some ff techniques here and there..
Steve, I did try alum soldering years ago with absolutely no luck. I'm sure I didn't use correct techniques. Maybe I should try it again some day, perhaps on a larger model.

The fuselage is underway. I really wanted to build with the front formers from the kit, but they are simply not usable. Luckily, the plans show the formers, so new parts can be easily made.
John
Jan 13, 2015, 10:47 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
Hi John,

This build is fascinating. I love watching modelers use different medium to build with. I am definitely subscribed!

Sean
Jan 14, 2015, 03:18 PM
Thank you Sean. Using aluminum tube outlines for models is certainly a viable way to build. I think laminated wood structures are probably stronger and a bit lighter, but the tube technique is fast.

Fuselage:
Oh man, what a puzzle. I tried many ways to use the Guillow's formers, but I couldn't figure out how they might work with my ideas.

Plan B:
The Camel fuselage is a basic box-truss design, typical of the era. Using the plans, I built the sides and used the kit fuselage formers as a guide. This was really easy to do. I'm wondering how much of the kit will be used in my finished model...
John
Jan 15, 2015, 02:39 AM
Once the fuselage sides were done, it was time to join them together. The plans do not show a top view of the fuselage because with most Guillow designs, the cross members are integrated with the formers. Sooo, I used my Replicraft plans to figure out the basic shape. Now that the fuselage is framed up, I can see that the kit supplied upper cowling may not fit. *sigh*
John